1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

acme B1 and what other cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CQBASS, May 13, 2006.

1. CQBASS

CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    I need to get another 1x10 or 1x12 to use as a mini rig with my thunderfunk 550 and acme B1. I could just get another B1, but I want the flexibility to take either of the two small cabs depending on the gig and the bass I'm using. Anyone have any experience running a B1 with other cabs? What seemed to work best? Thanks in advance. CQ

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    honestly, its hard to beat a pair of B-1's. portable, yet very punchie and fantastic for low to moderate volume gigs. feed them with enough juice and they'll bark hard.

i actually like the sound of a pair of B-1's more than a single B-2 sometimes. those extra midrange driver and tweeter really adds a nice extra something in the mids for a meaty sound.

3. CQBASS

CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    I was thinking it would be cool to have one of my cabs be efficient, which is why I was thinking of a B1 alternative. But I guess A TFB 550 would be enough to juice 2 8 ohm B1s. Would you agree?

4. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    You wouldn't think so because they are so different in sound and sensitivity but Acme stuff sounds friggan great paired up with Epifani.

I've been using a B4 on top of an Epi 212d for some outside work and a B2 on top for inside stuff lately and the combo just works.

5. CQBASS

CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    Good to know. I'm not to familiar with the epi stuff except for what I've read on TB.... which is alot I guess. It's not that I don't love the acme. I really love the acme, but I figured for more versatility it would be cool to switch up. Plus it would be nice to have something a little louder on it's own. I, of course am also on a budget. I need to try and get this done for as little as possible while still being true to the acme-j-retro-thunderfunk setup I'm using now. As far as the epi goes, you think a t 110 or 112? I know either of those don't seem to come up for sale very often used, which is the only way I could afford one right now. Any other lower cost suggestions that will remain properly hi-fi?

6. I had a B-II, 2x10, 5 in, and tweet. I thought a 1x12 or 2x12 cab with it would be great. The Acmes have great punch and clairity, but lack a kind of natural "cab" sound and missed it. By adding a non Acme cab, you could have the best of both, or choice if you don't want that acme punch that to me seemed directional and didn't fit all types of music.

7. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    I hope Andy comes out with a 1x12 someday. It doesn't even have to be Acme's signature flat sound.

8. CQBASS

CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    There's an LDS 112 available that I might give a try. I've never used one, but it's low cost and people seem to dig them. Tom or Joker or anyone?