Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ACME B1 / B2: Any Knowlegeable Opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GaryB, Sep 5, 2000.

1. GaryB

GaryB

Aug 30, 2000
    My present rig comprises of an SWR Bass 350 and two Eden D210T cabinets. I like the setup versatility that a pair of 2 X 10" cabinets offer and though this is a relatively compact setup I prefer something that can fit neatly into the trunk of my sub compact car.

I am interested to hear opinions of folks who have heard the ACME B1 / B2 cabinets in a live band setting. Do they provide enough bass for the audience? How do they sound onstage?

2. I have a pair of Low B2-IIs. They can get pretty loud, but then I'm driving them with a 700w/ch QSC amp. I hope you aren't considering Acmes without considering upgrading your amp, because your SWR 350 isn't gonna cut it.

As far as the sound on stage goes, I find them MUCH less boomy and much easier to hear than the Eden D-210XLT and D-115XLT combination I used to use.

3. mr t

mr t

Aug 24, 2000
    manhattan, ks
    i have had a low b2 for three years now, and can't tell you how great i think it is. i use it live every week at church and for other various gigs around town--everything from jazz to funk to fusion and i've never not had enough volume. if you're looking for flat response, the acme is the closest i've found.

4. timp

timp

Jul 19, 2000
    I just recently got a Low B-2. It is killer!!! A friend says that he likes it as well, if not better, than his SWR Goliath II.

5. mr t

mr t

Aug 24, 2000
    manhattan, ks
    personally, i'd take the acme over the swr 8 days a week. i really like my swr head, but their speaker cabinets just can't compete with the acme. i know, someone will probably chime in with the "yeah, but the acmes are really power hungry" and suggest spending more on a cab with inferior design and componentry to save a few bucks on a power amp. the acmes are so good, and--because they don't spend a ton on advertisement and distribution--the price is so competitive (cheaper for higher quality) i don't know why the power issue is still an issue. probably from posts by people who have never heard or played through an acme. just my acme soapbox for the day.

6. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    When club owner start charging bands for the juice they draw from the outlet, I will start to worry. As it is I don't blow fuses and I like the sound so I'm happy. But whatever float the boat.

jc

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    If you're talking a single B1 or B2 with that head... I don't know. I briefly had a 4ohm B2 that I pushed with a 400w amp and while it had amazing lows, it didn't have the kind of low mid presence I like. I liked it more in conjunction with an additional cabinet but that defeated the purpose. I have not had the chance to try a B1 but it would seem to be less than the B2 as far as sound, I could be wrong.

I wasn't crazy about the EA's either. Guess I'm just different. YMMV

8. GaryB

GaryB

Aug 30, 2000
    I had the pleasure of trying a Euphonic Audio VL-110. I enjoyed it very much. It was very responsive to my playing. The tone was very even and smooth. This cabinet was more responsive to changes in attack than my Eden D-210-T.

However, the price tag, $600 not including sales tax, is a bit hefty. I have gotten the OK from the wife and will definitely give the ACME B1 an audition. If any one has had a chance to compare the B1 with the VL-110, I would be interested in their opinions.

If the ACME is anywhere in the same ballpark tone-wise with the EA it will be a keeper!

Thanks for all your posts!

9. mr t

mr t

Aug 24, 2000
    manhattan, ks
    i have not had a chance to play the b1 yet, but if it follows the tradition of how the b2 compares to the vl210, i think you'll be impressed with the acme. let us in on how the b1 rates.

10. hello, im responding to this old post. when you purchased your B-2 from acme. you bought it directly off they're website? im just worried about security issues. you know, i dont want to just send someone money. the website doesnt look very "official" or up to date. that could be cause they are not well known and not capable of having a fancy site. ????? could you possibly send me a link to their official site so i know im not giving my money to the wrong site. im sorry. this would help alot. im just worried.

11. Bluesy Soul

Bluesy Soul Gold Supporting Member

-Go to the Acme website: http://www.acmebass.com/;
    -Click on "forum" in the left-column menu; and
    -Click on the "Unsolicited 'Shootout' " regarding the VL-110 and Low B-1.

I own a Low B-1 and have tried the VL-110. I concur with the author of this shootout: they are both excellent cabs and quite similar, but I have to give the nod to the Acme. Compared to the EA, I think the Acme sounds a more "open" and "present" and has deeper and cleaner lows. The EA is a little darker, which I find to be a common characteristic of EAs. In fact, I heard the same differences--but even more pronounced--when I compared to the LOW B-2 to the NL-210.

Both cabs are conservatively rated for power handling. I've used an Acoustic Image Clarus (400 watts @4ohms) to drive my Low B-1 for two years now with no problems.

I hope this helps.

Bluesy Soul :cool:

12. Bluesy Soul

I live about 5-10 minutes from Acme, have been there many times and own multiple Acme cabs. This is a link to the official website: www.acmebass.com
    You can trust it. Andy is a great guy and, IMHO, his bass cabs are among the very best made.

13. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Just call the number and talk to Andy.
    I used a credit card over the phone to order them and also discussed what I was pushing them with. When I told him a QSC2402(~700 watts+ into 4 ohms) he said "But be careful. some people can drive a race car with no problem and some people wrap them around a tree" ...obviously concerned with me overpowering them. For live gigs, I run the amp filters(cuts super lows) and a dbx166XL for "insurance".

His website is underwhelming and simple.
    His cabinets fool you(and others) in the same manner until you play thru them. :bassist:

14. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    This is a great analogy when it comes to people griping about their "sound" as well. There are plenty of cabinets with natural EQ curves which allow you just show up with and run with your amp totally flat. Acme doesn't make any of that style of cabinet, and thank goodness for that.

I eventually got rid of all of my bass cabs except for my Acme B2. There are a couple I'd love to own again, but my most likely next cab purchase will be a second B2.

15. If you liked the VL110, you will LOVE the Acme B210. It's in the same, fat, organic, polite upper mid/top end voicing, but is louder, deeper, more even, and about the same weight as the little VL110. The B1 will not put out the sound of the VL110. I would HIGHLY recommend the B210 over the B110 for you application. You head would be fine with a single B210 in 4ohm version.

However, as stated above, given the impressive low end extension, driving two of them can take a bit of power to really get the advantage of that extremely low -3db rolloff tuning.

The downside to the Acme's is that the low end is so impressive, the upper mids and treble can get a touch buried in a busy, loud mix. So, if for example, you dig the sizzle that the SWR cabs product, the Acme's would not be for you. If, on the other hand, you dig the sound of a good, one way cab with no tweeter, these sound wonderful. The upper mid and treble extension is more similar to the top end of a driver versus a standard tweeter (just like the old VL line).

16. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I was able to fit 2 of my B-2 in my trunk. With 2 B2s you cold play just about any live gig. I don;t think the SWR350 will power them well enough though.
    Jonathan

17. Bluesy Soul

I've always preferred more lows and low-mids than Ken, so I really appreciate the Acmes' repsonse at that end of the frequency range. In fact, for clean and solid (not boomy) low-end response, I think Acmes are unparalleled, at least in their size and prices ranges. Ken's absolutely right about personal preferences, however. If you prefer the higher end sizzle and sparkle, as I believe Ken does, there are better cabinets than Acmes.

I wouldn't, however, compare an Acme to "a good, one way" cab. I think the midrange driver and the tweeter do an important job of reproducing higher overtones that--to a degree (but it's a necessary degree IMO)--improve the clarity of the fundamental and lower overtones. Besides, even if you prefer more low-end repsonse most of the time, there is no downside to being able to improve the Acme's higher-end response by simply attenuating the midrange driver and tweeter--for the occasional slap tune, e.g. In fact, when I need a brighter tone and a higher response curve, adjusting the EQ on my active bass is usually all I need to do when I'm playing through an Acme.

I also like more wattage than your SWR 350 produces for an Acme Low B-2. (I'm almost certain Ken meant "Low B-2", rather than "B210". ;)) I regularly pump 350-400 watts into my Low B-1 and 600-700 watts into my Low B-2 without incident. (I stupidly hooked up the Low B-1 to an 800-watt amp once and paid the price, but that was entirely my fault. It's amazing the little box held out as long as it did!). But I'm an admitted "headroom freak" and think that Acmes are not only inefficient, they perform best with that kind of power in reserve. "How to Power Your Acme", however, has been the long-debated subject of many other threads. Suffice to say that reasonable bassists do differ.

And a new Low B-2 is now probably less expensive--and a Low B-1 is significantly less expensive--than a used VL-110, especially when you consider that Andy's prices are for new cabinets and include shipping as well as a warranty.

18. +1 to all the above. It's hard to explain the unique upper mid and treble response of the Acme's. I agree it's more extended than a 'one way cab', and that was an oversimplification of what I meant. I guess I use that to describe a very even, natural, warm, organic extension up the frequency spectrum, versus the more typical 'woofer drops off, then tweeter kicks in' of most multiway bass cabs, giving the lower treble through upper treble frequencies a totally different tonality than a paper cone to my ear.

Again, if the OP dug the VL110, and found that to be 'almost enough' volume, I feel he would LOVE the Acme 210. It's not much bigger and heavier, and is more even, louder, and goes lower, and is quite a good deal. It also comes in 4 or 8ohm versions, so you can 'fine tune' it to your amplification needs.

19. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    I use two B2s to gig with and I have never had a problem with being heard even outdoors. I own four but really two are just for spare. I give them 350W from each channel of a Carvin DCM1000 (700W total) and that's enough for any gig I have ever played.

Paul

20. Bluesy Soul

Ken's right. At $540 shipped, the Low B-2 has to be one of the most efficient cabs in terms of sound-per-dollar. That's only $140 more than the Low B-1.