Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acme B1 question?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GreyBeard, Nov 18, 2002.

1. I've got all the big cabs I will ever need. I'd like to have something small and accurate for jamming in the living room with friends. I know these cabs are highly rated and I am willing to buy one on the say so of this forum. I was wondering what kind of power they need. I've got a single rack space EV dynacord that puts out about 250 watts into 8 ohms. Is that enough?

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    for your said purposes, probably. but don't expect it to be much louder than approximately a 50 watt combo (for instance).

3. So 500 watts would make it the volume of a 100 watt combo?

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    With 200 watts into mine (4 ohm), it's been loud enough for a living-room type gig w/ an acoustic guitarist (or lightly amped), and a cocktail drumset played with brushes or multi-sticks.

You could probably jam with a guitarist using a small combo amp - though those things can still get hellishly loud.

Some 50-watt combo amps will probably get "louder", but they won't be able to put out anywhere near the clean low-end. I'd say, for living room type stuff, it's the best. You might get spoiled by the low end though, watch out. :)

5. If you had it to do over, would you buy the B1 or would you buy something else?

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Good question. Here's what I've currently got:

Peavey 210TX 2x10
    Acme B1 1x10
    Tech CT2000 2x12
    2x EA VL-110 1x10

I haven't gigged with the EAs yet but I'm pretty sure I'll like them. So, given that, if I was starting from scratch I'd probably just have the two EAs. Of course each EA cost, used, what I paid new for the B1.

I'm going to ditch the Peavey and Tech cabs. I'll probably keep the Acme, because it's worth what resale I could get, for its low-end at low volumes.

7. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I have both an Acme B-1 (8 ohm) and a VL-110. I prefer the sound of the B-1 to the VL-110 although they are both wonderful. I've run the B-1 with an iAMP350 ( which I think puts out about 200 watts into 8 ohms) and I got plenty of volume out of it. I have also been pairing up the B-1 with a new Bergantino HT112 that I just got and, contrary to some opinions expressed here, I can hear the B-1 just fine even though it is far less efficient than the Bergantino. If you need to get any louder in your living room, I implore you to use hearing protection and I hope you live out in the country well away from your neighbors!

8. At this point I'm looking to put together a really small butt kicking rig that doesn't weigh much. Do to the fact that you own both the EA and the Acme, Will the Acme play as loud as the EA given enough power?

9. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Yes, although I've never tested to see just exactly how loud I could push them without distorting the hell out of them.

10. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I also haven't tried the Acme using my new QSC. 900w will be a bit of overkill :D but I don't think the Clarus was a good match up, even if it was 200w (I ran the Clarus into both the Tech and the Acme once. The Acme didn't seem to contribute much (I don't know the efficiency of the Tech, but I don't think it's over 100dB), and the Acme ended up cutting out due to overcurrent despite the 2.67 ohm load - apparently the first run weren't really so good down to 2 ohms as advertised).