1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acme B1 vs. SWR Baby Blue 2 volume

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by davel66, May 1, 2015.

1. I'm trying to get a lighter, smaller rig and have read a lot about the Acme B1 and its deep excursion but low volume levels. It sounds interesting, especially for five string which is what I mostly use.

For a lot of my gigs and practices I am using a Baby Blue 2(two 8's). Volume is more than sufficient and I'm rarely putting the master above 9 to 10 o'clock (and not red lighting the pre amp stage either). These are church gigs with guitar, vocals and drums but all at very reasonable levels. For those that have used both, how will the B1 compare to the BB2? I would pair it with a decently enough powered head. Just bought a Streamliner 600 but would consider other options if necessary.

I think my fallback would be to start looking at lightweight twelve inch cabs, acme included.

Thanks in advance and feel free to merge if more appropriate to tack this on to one of the many existing acme threads.

2. I'm an Acme user and have standardized on the B2. I would not play a gig with a single B2 let alone a B1. That's me, you might be able to with your stated goals. I have no experience with the BB2.

Just as a point, the physical position of the level controls has little to do with how much power the amp can actually put out.

3. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    I have owned both and honestly I'd recommend the Eden EX112 for what you're looking for.

4. I too am currently an Acme user and use a single B2 for my church gigs. It is more than enough for my needs (acoustic guitar, electric guitar, synth, acoustic piano, electronic drums, & bass... all at a reasonable volume). Whether the B1 would be adequate for my setting or yours, I can't say. I do think the single B2 would not be enough for club gigs. For acoustic gigs, again it would be more than enough ad I think the B1 would be as well. For those gigs, I sometimes use a Genz Benz 8T. My heads are either a Genz Benz 3.0 or a Genz Benz 9.0

5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    One player's "very reasonable levels" is another player's "too loud", and a different player's "I can't hear you!". I can state only that, based on my limited experience as an Acme owner, there's no way I would even think of using a single B1 with any drummer, no matter how reasonably he plays. My minimum for a gig like yours would be a B2 or a B112, if not a pair. A single B1 could work for nothing louder than a set of hand drums, an acoustic piano and/or acoustic guitar, plus maybe a flute, played in a small room, and only if played quietly.

MM

james condino likes this.
  6. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    I've gigged with ACME B1s, B2s, and flatwound 112s. A single B1 is not good for much, but a pair is my go to rig for most jazz and swing gigs. Get them 8 ohm so that you can make a nice 4 ohm pairing. All ACME products are fairly specific- there are almost as many ACME lovers as haters around here so try to borrow a set before buying. Heavy drummers, tonedeaf guitar players, and aging metalheads put you out on your own no matter what rig you use!

Mystic Michael likes this.
  7. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Rig-1200_0085a.

I have no experience with the Acme but I did own a BB II for a number of years and gigged with it quite often with a jazz fusion band from coffeehouses to open air stages at festivals with PA support. Worked fine in all those situations although I may have pushed it a bit in some of them, but no problems or failures of any kind. With that said, I would heartily recommend a cabinet (or two) that I had built by Don Oatman of Low Down Sound that are truly amazing tonally and get quite loud if needed, especially paired. They are compact and reasonably lightweight, and were very fairly priced for how wonderful these are.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
    james condino likes this.
  8. Folks,
    Thanks for all the great feedback. The SWR BB2 has a rep for being a bit on the quiet side and I was hoping folks that played BB2 and Acme B1 would say "about the same". But I'm hearing so much about how quiet the Acme is I have to assume it's not going to cut it. If I get two B1's I'm defeating my weight/portability goal, just want one cab.

Lots of suggestions in this thread and many others on small, lightweight cabs so I'll continue to read up and I know I will get to that happy bass cab place someday.