acme b2 bridged mono ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by amac, Aug 23, 2004.

1. amac

Oct 9, 2002
    Commerce, Georgia
    Got tired of wading through searches, and I figured this should get answered pretty quick:

When wanting to run my PLX1602 bridged mono into an acme low-b2, what do the speakon connectors need to be set to? Amp +1/+2, cab +1/+2, or cab +1/-1.
  2. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Amp 1+/2+, cab 1+/1-.

Be sure to mark the amp end of the cable!

Also watch out for overdriving the poor Acme. Headroom is a good thing; exceeding the rated power of the cab on a continuous basis is NOT.
  3. Good advice. To expand on that: Take it very easy during the break in period. Use the amp in stereo mode unless you have an even lower power amp to use during break in. Also, it's a good idea to use those subsonic (high pass) filters and clip limiter even after you get it broken in. The little cab will still put out tons of fundamentals.
  4. Scooperman

May 28, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY

It's been a while since I've looked at my PLX1602, but I seem to recall that they can be bridged internally. If that's so, then would you need to do anything special with your cables at all?
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts

Because the speakon for the left channel is wired with both the 1 and 2 pins live so you can use a mono cable (1+/1-), bridge (1+/2-) or stereo (all four) cable. Better read your manual dude!
  6. Scooperman

May 28, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY

Thanks! I certainly will do that before I attempt to run the amp in bridge mode. The truth is, I haven't used my PLX1602 at all in quite some time, as I've been using the iamp800.
  7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Or, you can use a banana to speakon cable, which is what I do (so that I don't mistakenly use the wrong speakon to speakon cable for the wrong application).