Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acme B2 or Bergantino HT210?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yamarc, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I just bought a Crest LT 1000 amp (1000 watts @ 8ohms, 1300 @ 4) so I need a new cabs to go with it.

I have never looked at Acme cabs before (never had enough power) and the Bergantino might pair well with my future Sadowsky preamp (new one in production) and crest poweramp to make a killer rig.

I play a passive Celinder jazz, mainly in worship settings and small to medium clubs. I know some of you have extensive experience with both of these, so let me know why you like/dislike either. Thanks

2. From my understanding of the gospel environment, lows should be of critical concern. I haven't played the Berg but I can attest that the ACMEs with that kind of power can definitely hold their own against the pianists heavy left hand.

However, depending on the stage volume level your band uses and available PA support for bass, the acme (or any 210 cab for that matte) MAY not provide enough oomph due mainly to available cone surface area.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    ymarc,

you know my answer. ;)

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I've been through a half dozen preamps but I've held onto my Crest CA-6 and Acme B-4. At the moment, I'm feeding the rig with either an RBI or SWR IOD.

Riis

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The Berg HT210 has amazingly good low end! I used it by itself at a relatively quiet rehearsal and the guitarist said he'd never heard a bass sound so big before. Handles low B very well.

I don't have enough experience with Acme to comment.

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    The Sadowsky rig they sell in Japan is basically a Berg 2/10, if that tells you anything.;)

7. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I like the Acme - I run two Low B2s.

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
  9. mdbeck50

mdbeck50

Jan 30, 2006
    sussex cty, nj
    I've never used a Berg. I do own a pair of Acme's and they have a great low end. They just take alot of power to drive them.....

10. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I'll just add the extra word: "...to drive them LOUD". Less power works if loud isn't important - but it usually is once drummers start hanging around. A pair of B2s is an awesome rig for gigging, and you can take just the one cab to practices and less loud/smaller gigs and enjoy huge deep clear tone. Mmmmm, juicy fatness.

Alex

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    actually, i've been using a mere Thunderfunk TFB550 into my 4 ohm B2, and the tones have been PLENTY loud against a few drummers. was actually really surprised at how loud things got w/ the clean mean TFB.

awesome pairing.

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    But, if I might add, that same TFB550 would be even louder into an 8 ohm HT210. I was rather surprised by this in my shootout, but my 8 ohm HT210 (400w version, no less!) was notably louder than my 4 ohm Low B-2 or my 4 ohm Tri 210L.

Tom.

13. Kindness

Kindness

Oct 1, 2003
    Chicago
    I use this pairing regularly. I've never been a volume hog, but I can't imagine needing more than this for rehersals or stage volume. I only need a second B2 (and another amp) when I (very rarely) need to fill a venue with no PA support.

14. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    100dB@1W1m vs 96dB@2W1m (bearing in mind extra 3dB from lower impedance giving 2W rather than 1W at fixed voltage gain). Not at all surprising - the Berg should have sounded noticeably louder. Accurate ratings then.

But this one's 106dB@2W1m (again 2W not 1W due to 4 ohm). So this should be A LOT LOUDER than the Berg. More creative marketing from AccuGroove? ;)

Alex

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    You said it... :ninja:

16. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Ok, so I get that Acme are the bomb for the low end...especially 5 string basses...but what about a 4 stringer? Still as good?

Also, why does every one stand their acmes up on one end instead of lying flat on the ground? Projection?

17. +1 Lot's punchier too, I would imagine.

18. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Sounds great with my Streamer 4 banger. I've heard of them being used for PA and home stereo application.

I recall Andy Lewis suggesting that the B-4s be stacked sidewise so as to align the tweeters, mid-range, and 10" drivers. I'm not sure of the rationale. "Let's ask Mr. Owl!"

Riis

19. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yes, with much stronger midrange presence/clarity.

Tom.

20. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Yes. That's all I've ever played through mine.

Yes. The Acmes don't need the boundary reinforcement that less bootiful 2x10" cabs require and can thus take advantage of the improved dispersion and projection that vertically aligned speakers brings.

Alex