1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Acme B2 or EA NL-210?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CLJMB, Apr 11, 2006.

1. CLJMB

CLJMB Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2005
    North Alabama
    I'm playng a Roscoe LG3005 through a AI Focus in a pretty soft gig with a piano player and in the band at church with a not terribly aggressive drummer. Would you use an Acme Low B2 or an EA NL-210 in this application and why?

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Very different cabs:

EANL210.... punchy, relatively efficient (loud per watt), very crisp treble if wanted, fat warm mids, not particularly deep bass extension

Acme210.... huge low end bass extension, a more 'muted' treble response, takes a lot of watts, warm and organic sounding.

Both nice for what they are. Given your bass and amp, I would think the NL would give you more volume and definition, although a 4ohm Acme210 would also sound great... just different.

If you are looking for lots of bottom, and a very warm, organic sound.... Acme (make sure you get the 4ohm version so you are putting the maximum amount of wattage into it).

If you are looking for more mid definition and upper mid/treble articulation, the EA would be my choice.

I personally like the EA voicing much better, but purely IMO.

Edit: See my post below.... I'm actually thinking the Acme is the way to go for your rig IMO

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
  4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I think the Focus might really impact how these two cabs perform versus one another. I know the Focus is a pretty nice match with the Acme cabs... and I had that rig myself for a while... very warm and mellow and full.

I have not heard the Focus through the EA NL210, but would think it would be more punchy and 'mid forward'.

Throwing in another complication, if there is any bass that is 'punchy and mid forward' it's the Roscoe. I also hear the Focus being somewhat mid forward.... so....

... here's another shocker (since I'm generally pretty negative on the Acme's)... I think I'd actually recommend the Acme210 in 4ohm version from how I hear all those pieces coming together. The mid punch of the Roscoe and the somewhat mid voicing of the Focus might be a nice balance for all that low end extension and softer mid voicing of the Acme, versus the mid punch that is inherently built into the EA NL (at least based on my ears:D ).

5. CLJMB

CLJMB Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2005
    North Alabama
    "The mid punch of the Roscoe and the somewhat mid voicing of the Focus might be a nice balance for all that low end extension and softer mid voicing of the Acme"

Yes that's what I was thinking, but I read Tom's 2x10 shootout before I started this thread, and it had me thinking of the EA's. Then I got confused. :D

Tom - do you have any experience pairing your Acme with a Focus?

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    No, I do not, sorry. Nor do I have much experience with Roscoes, other than the brief rendezvous with Vic's fine Roscoe at my GTG.

Tom.

7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Yeah, the amp and bass you use can REALLY impact how a cab sounds, as we all know. It's difficult to generalize from cab comparisons without taking the context into account.

I think the Acme will be just wonderful for your gig requirements and the other gear you have IMO.