Acme B2 or Schroeder 1212

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Waabs, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    I'm thinking about getting either two Acme B2s for my Trace V8 (Accugrooves aren't available locally and they're out of my price range) or a pair of Schroeder 1212s. I've done a bit of searching but I can really only find comparisons of the 1210 and the B2. I'm after something that really has a good low end "chest hit". How do they compare? Would running one of each be a bit uneven volume wise?

Is the V8 going to be powerful enough to get decent volume out of the Acmes?

I've tried an Eden 210XST and was impressed by the lows. From what I've read the Acmes and Schroeders should be able to surpass the XST. Right?

2. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if anything, the V8 might not drive the B2 pair to full potential. i've seen gents mention 800 watts in the same sentence as pair of B2's. i'd go with the Shro's, just in case.
  3. I'm thoroughly convinced that the magic number for a B2 is 750 watts per. I am able to use my V8 with a pair of B2 cabs, but it runs out of headroom quickly so you will lose that "chest hit" you're looking for. The end result is that you will not be doing justice to the amp or the speakers. The Schroeders would probably suit your requirement better exactly as jokerjkny says.
  4. N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    How do mate.

I had a B2 and can easily envisage the V8 running out of headroom for a punchy sound, and in combination with another cab it'll be terrible (mine never sounded right with another brand cab even with separate sides of a power amp to even volumes).

The schroeders look sweet and from the descriptions are exactly what I'd plump for if I was in the market for bass gear (I just use an active PA speaker now). I would be tempted to flirt with Acmes again but the huge amounts of power and their disliking of synth style fx that generate a few subs are the things that put me off.

Opinions are like arseholes, but at least the guys who've responded here have eaten the same corn.
  5. Waabs

Aug 1, 2004
    Thanks guys. I was pretty certain about getting the Acmes. Now I've swung around to the Schroeders and it sounds like I'll be making the right choice.

Can anyone give a comparison of the 1212 low end vs the Acme B2?
  6. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    I suggest you buy a Glock Bass Art Cabinet, none can make your Trace clearer, fatter with a lot of low than this cab. I have used Trace V6 and it sounds awesome. I think any good amp can sound awesome with this cab. Aggie DB 680/Dem VTHM300 sound like heaven with this cab too. You can really hear the warm , fatness and more with this cab.
    It is 600 Watts RMS can give your V8 hell of volume plus the mid switch can give you choice between studio and stage.
    Believe me and you will not regret. I have Low b2, 1210 and 1010 just no comparation to Glock.
  7. Waabs

Aug 1, 2004
    Thanks. I will definitely check that out.
  8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    The Schroeder won't go as low as the B2, but is far more efficient than the Acme. I have both cabs, and the Schroeders just cut through with less power. Different animals!
  9. Waabs

Aug 1, 2004
    Will I get much of an improvement over the low end of my 2 SWR Goliath Jnr 2x10s with two 1212s?
  10. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    from the looks of the Goliath's freq response alone (105 dB SPL @ 1W1M (-3dB @ 45Hz and 15KHz)), i'd say so... ;)
  11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Prepare to be amazed! :bassist: