Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acme B2 vs. Aguilar GS210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jljohnson85, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Aguilar GS210

10 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. Acme B2

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. Other (please specify in post)

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. jljohnson85

jljohnson85

Nov 27, 2000
    Woodstock, GA
    Has anyone tried both of these? I can get both for the same price. Which do you think would be better for hard rock, metal, and punk music? I have played the Aguilar and I really like it, but I have no idea what the Acme sounds like:confused:. I have considered the Acme a little more because I play in a metal band and we tune in CGCF and it is lighter than most 2x10 cabinets. Any other opinions on 2x10's I should take a look at?

Thanks
    Jordan

2. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    When you say "hard rock, metal, and punk", the LAST cab I'd consider is Acme. I'd definitely go with the Aguilar (or Eden D-210XLT). The Acme just can't put out a lot of sound, period. You'll be blowing speakers left and right, if you ask me...

I had two B2's and one was never enough. You need at least two, and a large power amp to boot. Save yourself a lot of trouble and stick with the well-known performers!

NB

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    For what you play, between those two, I'd take the Aguilar. For what I play, I'd take the Acme. You could also look at the Eden D210XLT. And there should be a Bag End with something like that configuration, though I confess I'm not really up on their stuff.

4. EEbass04

EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Lee's Summit:MO
    When you say not loud you make me laugh. haha! Acmes put out looooooads of sound you just have to have the power to get it. I mean looots of power. Like a 700watt amp for the 2x10's to really get then sound you want b/c they're so power hungry b/c of the 3-way design. OH yeah they are also really well designed and you won't have to worry about your cab shaking b/c its like resonant proof. But this is a more uncolored cab, what you hear unplugged is what you will get plugged. So go with the Aguilar for your tastes.

5. jljohnson85

jljohnson85

Nov 27, 2000
    Woodstock, GA
    What type of music is the Acme best suited for? Does anyone here play rock and metal and have an Acme?

6. tnb

tnb

Jan 12, 2002
    New England
    I play everything but rock and metal with my Acmes. As cliche as it sounds, the SVT is the way to go with rock and metal.

7. jl,

If you're in a punk, metal band, I wouldn't even consider a 2x10. If you like Aguilars and Acmes, go for a 4x10...or a 2x10 + a 1x15. The high volume situations you're going to find yourself in will be too much for a 2x10 -- regardless of the brand.

8. jljohnson85

jljohnson85

Nov 27, 2000
    Woodstock, GA
    There aren't going to be any high volume situations any time soon. This is just for practicing with a band , I probably won't be gigging for another 3 months or so.

9. jl,

If you plan to start playing out in just 3 months, I would plan ahead, sink into your pocket a little deeper, and get something that's going to last you A LOT longer.

Think about the music you're playing. It's never done at low volumes, even at practice. I know -- I'm a former metal bass player myself.

2 examples -- a used Acme B4, or a used Carvin 4x10. They're both moderately priced (maybe even the same price as the NEW 2x10 you have your eye on) and they will take you to practice, jam sessions, bar gigs, mosh pits, tattoo parties, human sacrifice ceremonies, or whatever else!!

These are just two examples. There's Edens, SWR's, etc. Pick your brands. My point is to get what will meet your needs for a LONG while, not just until the snow starts melting.

10. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Back when Acmes were the latest, I compared notes with other owners. Just about everybody thought they were great sounding, fairly loud, and fine for most musical styles. The downside is that they tend to break up (fart) if not used with a large-enough amp, their max loudness is limited, and the can't be used with effects like the EBS Octabass. But I think the best way to describe them is with this note: "The Acmes (two 2x10's) are loud enough in my (rock) band, but they leave me feeling like I could use a little more loudness. My previous rig, an Eden D-115XLT and D-210XLT, never ever left me feeling undergunned."

Two Low-B2's with a 700 watt/ch power amp are going to be quite loud, loud enough for a live stage and maybe even outdoor gigs, but you might feel like you are pushing them to the limits, that's all. With a pair of Edens, you will easily get as loud as you want, and not feel like the speakers are going to blow any minute, IME. To me it's like driving a Honda at 100 mph - it feels like it's running out of steam. But when I drive a Mercedes at 100 mph, it feels like it can still go a lot faster.

I still think you can't beat a pair of Edens or Aguilars!

NB

11. jljohnson85

jljohnson85

Nov 27, 2000
    Woodstock, GA
    zon4john, I have considered a carvin 4x10, but I looked on the carvin webpage and it says that the 410 can only get down to 60hz. That's about 15 hz higher than most 2x10's I see, and I'm really looking for a cab that has really good bass. That's why I original was checking out the Acme and the Aguilar.

12. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Ah, but as anyone in here will tell you, you can't rely on specs. Specs can be (and often are) misleading and incomplete. You're better off using your ears (or other's experiences) to tell you what is going to work for your particular needs. Look at the specs for the SVT cabs and you'll see what I mean. The most popular rock cab in the world "only goes down to 80Hz" ?!

Don't get hung up on specs, man. :)

13. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    That's probably not the speaker farting, it's the amp gasping for breath.

14. bassboat

bassboat

Sep 27, 2001
    " Specs can be (and often are) misleading and incomplete. You're better off using your ears (or other's experiences) to tell you what is going to work for your particular needs. Look at the specs for the SVT cabs and you'll see what I mean. The most popular rock cab in the world "only goes down to 80Hz" ?!

Don't get hung up on specs, man. "

I agree! Some companies bull-doodie with the specs.
    The SVT cab really doesn't go down very low! 80Hz is probably about it. However, your ears won't percieve it lacking bottom. Because the overtone series is all there, plus the first octave, your brain and ears supply the low fundamental. I really don't think an SVT sounds as full as some cabs that go lower-but it's punchy as hell! Some of the cabs that go below 40Hz just lose definition.

15. I have an Epifani 2x10 with (according to factory specs) a usable low frequency of 32Hz! Does that help me on the high volume gigs? NO! In fact, I'm planning on selling the Epifani 2x10 and getting a 2x12 -- probably the Aguilar.

Again, get what's applicable to the gig.

16. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I own two Acme's (a B-2 and a B-1) and really like them for what I do. (Top 40, R&B, pop, Jazz-blues) but I wouldn't use the B2 for a heavy metal gig. The Acme's are really about getting a flat accurate sound. You probably want something with more coloration and volume. I suggest Eden. I still own a 210T and it works great on some gigs where I want a little more bite.