Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acme B2 vs. EA VL-210?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by berklee46, Jan 15, 2004.

1. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Ok, This may be the last in my recent "vs" threads. I'll gladly delete them to clean things up once this is all done, unless others are interested in the same subjects. :)

I'm still having trouble with the idea of letting my Walter Woods Ultra go(800/1200 watts @ 8/4 ohms) so I'm thinking maybe a pair of Acme 2x10 cabs or a pair of Euphonic Audio VL 2x10 cabs would be a really nice combination with this amp.

I know that both are relatively flat and uncolored, which appeals to me. I really like to be able to hear the upper mids in the mix so that the bass cuts through pretty well. For what it's worth, I'm looking for something that will allow me to hear each note relatively clearly across the board. Some cabs I'e tried are 'scooped' sounding and some are all mids, without a lot of bottom. So from what I can gather, these two models have a good reputation as being *very* even sounding.

My amp has enough power to run a pair of these, since I know they are hungry, so I'd be interested in hearing comments from any of you who have tried both brands. Or from you who have played either one. (I've done many searches and read threads until my eyes have glazed over, but it's nice to get a fresh perpective from people as well)

Thanks again.
    Scott

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I read your other thread, and not to be a pain, but I'm not sure where your worries about the WW come from. First, there are at least three 8 ohm 2-12s available that I can think of, Epifani, Aguilar, and the new Carvin BRX (don't laugh, I've heard they're good). Second, as you know, there are several 8 ohm 2-10s, including Acme. Don't be offended, but it sounds as if you think the situation is worse than it actually is. I can't see any reason why you need to let your WW go if you don't want to!:D

3. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    I've already posted ad nauseum about my Acme/EA experience, so you've probably read that already. If you play a 4 string, get the EAs. Great cabs. If you play a fiver, get the Acmes. Great cabs. Or get one B2 and one VL208 (if Tombowlus doesn't already own all that remain :) ) and run them together.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well, i've tried the recently departed CXL2x10's, and they had a slightly more airy response on the high end. and they seemed better suited for cutting thru.

the Acme's, to my ears, seem closer to flat and, sound closer to what i've heard in various headphones, studio monitors, etc. from a few of the recording dates i've done. live, you do have to be rather drastic with the EQ, and my Aguilar DB680 is perfectly suited for those needs.

but IMHO, both amps being 10" speaker combo's you'll also *feel* the punch from your tone, too. :cool: my Acme's have incredible punch, and everyone else knows it, too. hehe...

unless you REALLY need that slammin' low B fundamental, i dont see how the EA VL's would do you wrong. they seem more apropo for your situation.

like rockin' doc mentioned, a great compromise would be that VL208 / B2 2x10 setup.

5. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Hi Richard,
    Thanks for the comments. It's not that I'm worried about getting rid of the Walter Woods. I love the amp! How can you beat a 1200 watt amp in a 7 lb package?? Plus, Walter's customer service is second to none. He'll bend over backwards to make his customers happy. It's like the Holy Grail of amps! :D

One of the big factors was that several of the 2x12 cabinets that I'd been looking at were 4 ohm cabs, so running a pair wouldn't work with the WW. I know there are many 2x12 cabs out there, but I was also looking at ones that were as compact as possible so that I could fit both in my car, and still fit myself! :) Also, I tried the Aguilar and Epifani and didn't care for the tone. I can't put my finger on what it was that I didn't like, but they just didn't work for me.

Now that I've opened my mind up to the idea of a pair of 2x10 cabs, the options for compact 8 ohm cabs open up even more so the WW won't be an issue, if that makes sense. Acmes and EAs seem to be among the leaders for very even, flat response.

Joker,
    I play a 5-string, so having a solid B string is important. Do you mean that the VL-210's don't handle the B string well, or just not as well as the Acme?
    I've also heard that mixing the Acme and the EA doesn't work out so well since the EAs seem more efficient and drown out the Acmes...

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    like most boutique cabs, the VL sounds fine with the Low B.

but yea, the Acme's will just ROCK your low B. :bassist:

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Are you saying that you have heard of another VL-208 available! Where? Where! Let me at it! :D

It's really too bad that the WW Ultra won't handle a 2 (or 2.67) Ohm load. I would love to hear one with three VL-208's (and you really do need three to get satisfactory low B response - but boy do they get it good, once you add three!). The inability of the WW to handle this was a definite factor that I considered when I bought my iAMP 800 (which I haven't had a chance to try with three VL-208's yet, but which I hope to as soon I as I get two of them back from my practice room).

BTW, I've corresponded with Scott privately, lest any of you think that I have lost my knack for verbosity! I will sum up, though, by saying that if you are going to be running your cabs very loud (which Scott says he will, occassionally), I have not found the equal of two VL-210's. But, on the flip side, I do not think that the VL-210 really shines in the midrange until you start to push it fairly hard. However, you can account for this through EQ, if you are playing at lower levels. If he didn't need to get really loud, or if he didn't play 5-string, I'd be leaning towards two VL-208's. But, a VL-208/VL-210 stack might be nice, too.

Later, Tom.

8. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    I will almost always strive to be a helpful TB member, but I... I'm drawing the line HERE. Until I get my second 208 there's NO WAY I can give you a heads up on one's whereabouts. I hope we can still be friends ;) RD

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    ;) That's probably a good attitude for ALL of my fellow TBers to take with me! I really am trying to control myself...

Later, Tom.

P.S.
    Did I happen to mention how kickin' three VL-208's are?!?:D

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Hey, Scott. What did you end up doing? I have recently placed myself in a position to do a direct heads on shootout for you, as I have recently bought (but have not yet received) both a WW Ultra and an ACME Low-B2 II, although the ACME is 4 ohm, so I can't use two with the WW.

Also, in case you are still contemplating two 8 ohm 2x12's, Eden's 212XLT is available in either 4 or 8 ohm. In fact, I just sold my 8 ohm 212XLT to a fellow TBer!

11. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

<shameless plug forthcoming>

Why don't you just buy my VL-210 (with EA cover) and see for yourself? :D

<shameless plug over>

Actually, I really like the EA VL-210. It seems willing to do anything my Eden D410T will do and sound better doing it. It's a very flat, sterile, and uncolored sounding cab, IMHO. Not a lot of crisp, tweeter like most of the modern cabs, but more than enough for my ears. The reviews are all correct. It sounds exactly like I've seen described in the press.

I've played a couple of larger clubs with mine (under Kern/Stewart 1.2) and never had any trouble with anything. And, paired with a VL-208, I think it would be almost perfect. I had a VL-208 and used it with an Eden D210XLT. Except for the "Eden" sound, it was KILLER!!!!!!

It responds well to a 5-string. I've never wanted or needed anything else paired with my one. Unless you're gonna play really loud, I can't beleive that you would either!

Just my $0.02.

dcr

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey tommy,

finally gonna try one? nice! but be sure to give the cab a few hours of break in. its takes a bit, but the results are fantastic. have a blast!

13. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Hey Scott! Remember me? I'm using an Acme B-4 (powered by an RBI / Crest CA-6). They even work well with those....whatchamacallum...Status basses. Best sounding cab I've used. Takes at least 500 watts to really light up a B-2, though.

Riis

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Actually, a fellow TBer has been kind enough to break in my Low-B2 for a couple of years now, so it should be good to go once I get it. Do any of you guys want to cheer on the UPS truck for me, as you all did fro Munji? :p

15. Although I normally bridge 1,000 watts into mine, I have played several loud/small room gigs with just the 220 watts from my SWR Studio powering my B2. Worked fine. For jazz gigs, I've just been toting a little Stewart 200 watt half rack amp.

C'mon Brown Truck! :D

16. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    I've only owned an Acme Low B-2. If you're doing small gigs then it's one of the best things going; lightweight, great sounding, and incredible depth. The problem is that it needs a ton of power and really won't get very loud. That's why I've opted for the Schroeders.

17. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I didn't want to - I'm scared of you planting a seed in my brain that I can do better than Acme - but now the suspense is killing me! Let's get this showdown happening!

"Go truck, go truck, go truck!!!"

Alex

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    :D

19. Do you still have the VL-210 for sale? How much? Trades...?

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Well, I just got the Low B-2 (Series II) in the mail today (DHL, not UPS). Luckily, tonight is band practice night, so I will be able to give it work out (though this means I may not have time to A/B it against the VL-210 until tomorrow night).