Acme B2 Woofer?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Apr 2, 2004.

1. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Anyone using the Acme B2 Woofer as low-end support for other cabs? It's well known that Acmes aren't strong in volume, but I've wondered if throwing an Acme B2W under a trad 4x10 or 2x10 would achieve killer results.
  2. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    I think it could be worthwhile doing. Acme cabs are notoriously low on efficiency... however, for their size, weight, and price, they're extremely deep.
  3. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    It would work well with a stereo power amp so you could control the volume to both cabs.
  4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    If you play loud, forget it...

I used to stick my B2 on top of a 1x15 (EVM 15B in a TL606 cabinet) and the 15 did most of the work for the too loud rock band that I was using it with (and the Acme was getting 700+ watts from my PLX2402).

If you have the $$$ and the power, a B4W would probably be a better choice
  5. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Indubitably, Billy B!
  6. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Well, the best choice would probably be something like an AG Tri 210, Epi 2x10 UL or NYC, Berg 2x10, EA 210, etc. The Acme would probably be the cheapest and most realistic choice, but I'd give the AG Tri 210 a shot. That's what I'm getting to supplement and eventually replace my Low B-2. I'll let you know how they stack up against eachother.
  7. I guess it depends on how loud you need to be. I recently used my B2 in combo with my old SWR Goliath II. I was playing with a blues band that has three horns and a guitarist who runs through a 4X12 cab, so I was little bit afraid that the B2 couldn't keep up by itself. I was pretty sure the Gol 2 could handle it, but I didn't want to lose the the clarity of the B2.

I ran stereo and it was very easy to get the volumes matched up. Basically, I turned up the Gol 2 until it was almost loud enough, then increased volume on the B2 until the sound started filling in (unscooped) and the bottom got huge. The sound wasn't quite as nice as the B2 by itself, but it was close. Turns out I didn't really need all that volume and next time out the B2 will do the job by itself (or combined with a new B1 ;) ).