Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acme B4 - How much power?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by complexprocess, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Hey all. In the unlikely event that I ever need a good gigging rig I'd be very interested in checking out an Acme B4. The price seems quite good considering the stellar reviews I've read of this and other acme cabs.

One thing though - Everyone says that Acme cabs are "power hungry". How power hungry, exactly? For those that own one, what are you using for an amp? For those that want to make a theoretical guess at how much power should be used - stats are as follows:
    Handling - 700 watts RMS continuous
    Sensitivity - 96 dB

Thanks for any stories or opinions.

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well, what kind of music do you think you'll use it for?

with my praise band, i've used my 200 watt Aguilar DB359.

with my louder funk rock trio, i've sent 900 watts with my Stewart world 1.2.

depends on what you're using it for.

but as the lightest 4x10 i've ever used, its been great. with the right upper mid EQ'ing, NO problems being heard.

3. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    As it's the best sounding amp of those I've A-B compared*, I'd use a Bridged Crown K1. It will do 1100 into an 8 Ohm box or 1500 into a 4 Ohm box.

*I've not A-Bd any QSCs yet.

4. One very happy owner of a 4 ohm Low B-4 here! I power it with a Peavey DPC 1400X bridged (1400 watts @ 4 ohms). I recently tried it with a friends SWR 750 and moderate volume levels caused the amp to clip enough for me to end the test (it did sound good but it just didn't get "loud enough" w/o clipping). From my experience and of what I've heard, read, etc... 1000 watts is about the minimum you should be using to juice a B-4 to "moderately loud" standards. Mine sounds pretty darn sweet at any volume level though :D

5. Well Acme says the B2 needs 500 watts for an ideal match. I'd say that the B4 should have around 1000 watts for an ideal match. A B4 4ohm with either a Stewart 1.2 , QSC PLX 1202 or something else with simular power should do the trick. You'll find people who are using less or more power and tell you that it is all they need, and for them it probably is. Keep in mind that the cab is rated at 700 watts continous and 600 watts sine wave at 30.87 hz. Lots of guys I know would use an amp with twice the rated speaker power just for head room. But, in my opinion (and I've got a ton of them) I'd use around 1,000 watts.

6. I'm reading some varying opinions here (which is good) but everyone is saying around 1100 watts, +- a few hundred. That's about what I expected. Cool. Looks like a pre + power amp setup would be the way to go, if price is a factor. (i.e. not many budget heads pshing 1000+ watts). I'll probably look for a used stewart world 1.2 and a simple pre amp if I ever need a rig this powerful.

I was half posting this so it would be easily seachable for people that have this question in the future. Unfortunately the search won't pick up terms of less than 3 characters, so "B4" will be a toughy.

FWIW though, I'd be playing/fighting with 1 or 2 distorted tube amps (~100 watts each) and a drummer that hits hard enough to prevent them from turning down much (if at all).

7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Check out the new Carvin B1500--rated at 1250 W into 4 ohms. DISCLAIMER: I haven't heard it yet, so I have no comments to make on how it sounds, though it's claimed to be on the warm/fat side rather than the scooped/hi-fi side. But the price is good. I'm seriously considering a B1500/B-4 combo as my next rig, since I already have a B-2 that I like a lot and since I am starting to like simpler setups better.

8. I've read that the Stewart 1.2 can get pretty hot bridged into a B-4. Hot enough to cause thermal shut-down. For some reason the amp doesn't "like" bridged 4 ohm loads sucking max power. You might want to consider a World 2.1 (has a cooling fan) or a QSC PLX/RMX. Also, I'm seriously considering the new Peavey PRO 1600 to power my B-4 as the EQ section looks very flexible. It would be replacing my Max Bass Pre-Amp and DPC 1400X Power Amp. Another amp/head folks have had luck with is the Ampeg SVT 4 Pro. The new Carvin amplifiers look intersting but alas, their reputation for bass amps has been "questionable".

9. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    The Iamp 800 wouldn't be bad either! I short of the 1000 watts, but 800 isn't bad at all.

PL

10. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    Anyone use an Ampeg SVT with a b-4?

dave

11. Yes, I have; what do you want to know?

12. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    Psycho, is it loud enough for me? I play in an original rock band, with a pick, two guits, both halfstacks, loud drummer. I currently use a Mesa RR 2x15, and sometimes I would like a little more headroom, not necessarily more power. I am curious about Acme. I am looking for this to be a standalone cab, to replace the Mesa, or to use alongside with the Mesa.

Thanks, Dave

13. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I'm not PBG, but it's possible that the B-4 is less efficient than the 2-15 cab you have now. If so, you would be getting less headroom, not more, if you use it instead of the Mesa.

14. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    ok, thanks!

Dave

15. I second what Richard said. The Acme has a MUCH more balanced tone than most other cabs at the expense of volume. The Acme would actually be a step in the other direction in terms of headroom/volume. A single Acme 4x10 will do medium rock with a moderate drummer, but if you play loud, you'll need mroe than one cabinet and probably more power, too.