Acme bass cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mcrracer, May 3, 2001.

1. Does anyone here have or have had any experience with any of the Acme bass cabs? How do they hold
    up for gigging? And what type of music do you play throught them? How do they sound to you? Thanks
  2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I've got a B4, and have had a B2 in the past, both playing mostly in a loud modern rock/alternative band. Powered by 500 watts, the B2 was just barely loud enough for practice with the amp cranked. With the B4, powered by 1200 watts, I have pretty much all the volume I need, though still not much to spare (that is, I can compete with the guitars, and mic'd drums, but I can't crush them. ;-))

The Acmes sound fantastic, very smooth and balanced all the way down to the low B, whereas most 10" cabs (including Edens, which I've owned) seem a little "buzzy" down low to my ears. That is, the Acmes seem to reproduce the fundamental cleanly, while most 10" cabs seem to emphasize the overtones more on the lowest notes. On the other hand, the Acmes lack some of the aggressive highs that Eden and SWR cabs have, so I sometimes find myself EQing a bit more brightness back in.

As for how they "hold up", I haven't had any problems, but I know other folks have blown drivers or crossovers trying to pump too much power through them.