Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ACME cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Happy MurphDay, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    Im really thinking of getting rid of my eden cabs and replace them with a single 4x10 cab, ACME is a brand that im looking into more and more, but its such a small company that the reviews are scarce, does anybody have personal experiance with acme, (size, wieght, sound, cost) i have a eden wt1000 and the nav. so i dont think power will be an issue(i read that they are power hungry several times)
    i know they can handle a B, but i also read that they arnt that good at low volumes
    i play rock and am looking for a stand alone cab
    so any help with acme will be appreciated

2. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    I own a pair of BIIs and I am pushing them with a 2000 watt Carvin DCM. I am using a Sansamp RBI preamp and when the band kicks in, I have a hard time hearing myself. I can get loud enough,( the guitarist hates that so I have to turn down), and even with the mids bumbed up and other adjustments I have to play by sight most of the time. I have a hard time hearing any definition. It really sucks!! If you are playing in a "LOUD" rock band, I would recommend finding a different cab. Acme's are hi fi. You need something to belt out the mids. Just my opinion. There are others here who have the facts.

3. Peter Lufrano

Peter Lufrano Blues. and nothing but the Blues.

Apr 18, 2004
    Berkeley, CA
    While I have never played with bizzaro's band, I have never had a problem getting loud enough with my Acme's, and never played in a situation where I had a difficult time hearing myself.

I play Blues and R&B mostly, and the drummers and guitarists get plenty loud, but I always am able to hear myself clearly using some combination of my Acme's.

I own two Low B2's and three Low B1's, so depending on the venue I am playing in, I can use any combination of them, but typically I will use either two 10's, 3 10's or 4 10's.

I play 5 string instruments and if I wanted to I could blow everyone off the stage with the Acme's because they are capable of so much clean low frequemcy output.

No, they do not get as loud with the same low power input as the more "popular" cabinets because the other cabs are more mids than lows so they sound louder to your ears.

But they are capable of FAR higher output levels of the true fundamental tones, especially below 60Hz or so.

Anyway, play through some and trust your own ears!

4. I've never heard or used an acme, but it seems to me that the most useful part of these cabs is the extra low end extension that they offer. Maybe that single 6" mid driver isn't adequate for cutting through?

I'm thinking that a B4W (the woofer-only version) plus a more traditional, midrange oriented cab (like my Avatar 2x10) would work best... there's nothing more frustrated than feeling like a John Myung-style bass mime on stage because you can't hear what you are playing. This is the route that I'm gonna take soon I think. I play rock too, and I need a cab that can cut, and I don't think that the Acmes are it.

5. I'm very pleased with my Acmes and they really shine with five-stringers. I run one, two or four of the Low B2s depending on the size of the venue. I've had no issues whatsoever at lower volume levels.

Most surprising to me is that one pair of B2 cabinets powered by the Aguilar DB680/DB728 has plenty of volume for mid-sized to larger halls and blends beautifully with the other instruments, but with enough authority to cut through the mix perfectly and lots of headroom still available.

6. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    My experience with the Acme's have been the same with bizzaro. I've owned two 410's, 3 210's, 210 & 410 and tried them with all type's of amps.

I think the Acme's are wonderful sounding cab's, but I always had a problem with them projecting. I think they are killer for studio or small setup, just my experience.

7. Couldn't agree with you more, Brian. I had also several of them. IMO great cabs but a mixed bag.

8. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    You may want to check them out first, my B2 can cut thru most situations.

9. I own an Acme Low B-4 and I have never had a problem "hearing" it. It is my only cab. I often don't even bother with the PA as the Acme with 1400 watts usually out performs the house subs. I play a 4 stringer tuned D-G-C-F and the low notes are well defined and "speak with authority". My current band is emo/alternative/noise-rock and gets pretty darn loud. A slight boost in the mids and there's nothing to complain about. If you're keen on the Acme cabs use the two week period to give it a good test run. If it's not your bag then all you're out is shipping. The 1000 watts you've got would be my suggested "minimum" to get a B-4 to open up. YMMV

10. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    It depends on who you ask. Acme is probably my most favorite cab manufacturer in terms of sound quality and portability, and my least favorite in terms of output. There's no way of getting around it; Acmes just aren't loud. Can you deal with that? Yes, but you're going to need more cabs and more wattage than you would with almost any other type of cab. Personally, I recommend 2 Low B-2s over a Low B-4 if you can swing it; more mid/treble headroom and better portability. If at that point you still have problems being heard, you could then either double up and get another 2 Low B-2s or get a Low B-4W. With enough wattage, all of those together will be very, very loud.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if you're going from an Eden to an Acme, you might think its too buried sounding, cause of that lack of overly hyped lower mids, and cutting tweeter.

Acmes on the other hand are smooth, fat, and round. much to what i hear when i'm going direct. which is PERFECT for my sound. nevermind the low B extension, but would this be a good fit for you? kinda suspect, given your past choice in cabs.

btw, i love my acme 4x10, and my pair of acme 1x10's. i get that fat B extension, at whatever volume, and i dunno where people got it sounds bad at low volumes. you do, however, need to properly break it in, for the most tone.

another btw, do a search, and you'll find TONS of posts on these cabs.

12. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    thanks for all the input guys, it sounds like its a love it or hate it kinda cab, im gonna do a few more searches on the web thanks

13. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    how do you properly break it in?

14. netvampire

netvampire

Apr 22, 2004
    Australia
    Anybody here paired up a single acme b2 with a thunderfunk head.if so what was the result as in tone and volume. :help:

15. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    I used to have 2 B-2s and had a similar experience to Bizarro. 900 watts (total) wasn't enough for both and volume wasn't enough. For a 4x10 you'll need more than 1000watts. Acmes produce more fundamental than equivalent sized cabs but don't put out enough mids for me. I need to hear and feel low mids to be happy and the Acmes were'nt doing that. The true lows are audible to the house more than on stage. I sold my Acmes and now run an Avatar 2x12 and peavey 2x10 with much better results. I play blues, soul, funk, reggae and rock. It seems that they work for some but not others. Try one.

16. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    I replaced two Bag Ends (S-15D, S-15XD) with one Low B-2 and got less gear to carry, a smoother sound and more low end. It took a bit getting used to the different sound, but I like it.

It definitely likes as much power as you can throw at it. I use a Stewart World 1.2. I would agree it doesn't seem as loud, but that's what PA systems are for.

Personally, I'm going to hang on to mine until I can afford an Accugroove El Whappo Jr.

17. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I had both a B2 and a B4 and they did not cut through for me. I always had a hard time hearing myself. I sold both of them and switched to Bergantino.

18. Personally, the one (or perhaps two) speaker(s) that might incite me to move from my Acmes is the Accugroove El Whappo. Of course there's a price to be paid, and not just in portability and weight.

19. Fred Labbidie

Fred Labbidie Guest

Apr 22, 2004
    Acme users-if you crank the upper mids on your amp, do the Acme cut through better?

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    start using the amp at a lower volume, and play it thus for a few days. slowly bring up the volume, and play for another week or so. do this over the course of maybe 3 weeks to a month, and VOILA, acme tone.

also, when i said, "do a search", just do it here on TB. lots of posts.

most definitely,

the best thing about the Acmes is that they're like a blank canvas upon which you sculp your tone. thus, preamp or heads with a parametric-like EQ that's plenty versatile will do wonders in opening up your Acmes to a world of options.

e.g. i cant imagine gigging with the Acme, without my EA iAMP-800. but then there are times when i just wanna hear the 40Hz low end kick from my Sadowsky's, and i break out my Avalon U5. ahhh, the joy of the Acme.

FYI, most cabs are pre-tuned and have an inherent voicing tuned by the manufacturer. thus most times, their particular heads/amps will sound best with their cabs, due to the offsetting of tones from one another for a more balanced sound. e.g. Eden heads are rather dark and woolly to me, yet their cabs have an aggressive, cutting upper midrange with a low mid punch.

thus, with the Acmes, a player's gotta be REALLY drastic with the EQ settings. the Acme is the flattest cab i've ever used, and most times you need to compensate for that lack of internal "voicing".

but once you figure out your fav settings, you can do alot with the Acme.