Acme Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dakine, Aug 4, 2003.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    :cool:

2. Thanks so much for all the helpful responses.

My first amp was an Acoustic guitar amp, which is extremely loud and cutting, but colors the sound to the point that any instrument you plug in sounds the same. Plus it has no bass.

The next amp was my roommate's Acoustic bass amp, the Jaco amp I believe, with 2x15 Acoustic cabinet. Huge tone, but same problem with coloration: a Pedulla sounded the same as a Fender Frankenbass.

So I bought a SWR WM12. Very clear and detailed, gorgeous tone, and very transparent. However, even with a 2x10 Carvin extension cabinet, it didn't cut through a rock band.

Then came an Alembic F1-X and QSC USA 900, with Carvin 2x10 and 1x15. Great, great sound, not as transparent as the SWR WM12, but worked well even in a rock band.

Since then I've replaced the QSC USA with a QSC PLX. I find that I don't need the 15 inch speaker any more; the 2x10 works fine by itself. But it doesn't go very deep. There's a significant drop off around 100 Hz.

Enter the Acme. I have megawatts with the PLX, and I'm looking for better lows. I like transparency. Not interested in vintage tone. Should be a pretty good fit!

3. Thanks so much for all the helpful responses.

My first amp was an Acoustic guitar amp, which is extremely loud and cutting, but colors the sound to the point that any instrument you plug in sounds the same. Plus it has no bass.

The next amp was my roommate's Acoustic bass amp, the Jaco amp I believe, with 2x15 Acoustic cabinet. Huge tone, but same problem with coloration: a Pedulla sounded the same as a Fender Frankenbass.

So I bought a SWR WM12. Very clear and detailed, gorgeous tone, and very transparent. However, even with a 2x10 Carvin extension cabinet, it didn't cut through a rock band.

Then came an Alembic F1-X and QSC USA 900, with Carvin 2x10 and 1x15. Great, great sound, not as transparent as the SWR WM12, but worked well even in a rock band.

Since then I've replaced the QSC USA with a QSC PLX. I find that I don't need the 15 inch speaker any more; the 2x10 works fine by itself. But it doesn't go very deep. There's a significant drop off around 100 Hz.

Enter the Acme. I have megawatts with the PLX, and I'm looking for better lows. I like transparency. Not interested in vintage tone. Should be a pretty good fit!

4. I had 2 of the 4 ohm 2x10s, and used an Ampeg SVT-4 as the amp. The tone was awesome. The Ampeg gave good power at 490watts per side into 4ohms and really made them sing. It really showed off the tone of my Zon Legacy.

I wish I still had them now.:rolleyes:

5. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I also hear the whole tonal range in my Acmes! I think they are great cabs, but if your in a loud band and have P.A. support, they are even better.
    I just had problems with them projecting into large rooms....my on stage sound ruled though:D I sometimes use mine as monitors for P.A. work, and they are definitly full range.