Acme fans - BACK ME UP !! - Did I make a bad call ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Arrrrrgh, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Arrrrrgh

May 8, 2002
    Despite the mostly negative responses/comments about Acme speakers, I have taken the Acme plunge. I recently ordered a pair of B-2's 4 ohm that I should recieve Friday 6/21. Since then, I have been bummed out by the overwhelming negative reviews of these speakers. I need some positve reinforcement on my purchase. I know if I dont like them I can simply send them back, but I really want these speakers to be "what I want".

The best thing about these speakers (on paper) is that they are very light, and are small and easy to transport. I have a blown disc in my back, and the Prevey pro 4x10 I have sounds great and is plenty loud, but is too heavy. I am using a Mackie 1400i that delivers 500 watts @ 4 ohms into each Acme B-2. Andy tells me that this should "fill up a room" but he is a salesman. I play in a classic rock cover band that never plays to a venue that holds more than 150 people (that doesnt have a huge house PA). My band consists of a sax/guitar player, keyboard/guitar player, drummer, and myself (4-piece band).

If you have any input about whether or not I have made the right choice, PLEASE respond. I have read ALL of the previous posts, and even though this is redundant, I would like another take on the same old Power monger/too flat response topic. I would appreciate any response on this subject. I can afford to buy Edens if they are much better, but the 2x10 cabinets they offer are almost 20 lbs heavier. I think that Acmes' are the best speaker for the weight that are available. THANKS FOR THE ADVICE

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I have a pair of LowB2 cabs......very nice cabs!
    They sound great in pairs....and you have the juice to run them....I think you will be happy;) Andy's a great guy, and gives great customer support!
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Richard, time to check out Stuart Smalley... don't look for external approval when it comes to gear, make yourself happy. You are the only one who really, really knows when you like something, don't let us tell you;)

Or to quote Yoda: "I thought "you" brought the papers!?!:mad:"

Anyway... here's my own personal highly enlightened philosophy... I buy what I want and if someone else likes it, cool. If not, cool.

Enjoy the Acmes... if they float your boat.
  4. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    to qoute sheryl crowe... its not getting what you want but wanting what you got. she ranks right up there with confusious
  5. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Man if you love the sound out of a Peavey 4x10 then the Acmes will blow you away!!
  6. abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    Hey even though I sold my B2, I kept my B1 and used it on a gig the other day and I remain extremely happy with it. They are great speakers but not for everyone's needs. They might very well suit yours.
  7. lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    Sounds like my kind of cab :p

8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Dude, WHAT "overwhelmingly negative comments" are you talking about? I've been here for a couple of years, and I haven't seen anything like that. Sure, Acmes certainly don't work for everybody, but some dissatisfactions here and there or preferences for other gear don't add up to the massive distaste that you seem to think is there.

I mean this in the best way, but you're worrying too much at this stage of the game. If YOU like the gear when you get it, then just play it and be happy; don't waste time looking for validation. If you don't like it, send it back. Ain't no big thing.

And honestly, how could we possibly tell you whether you made the right decision for you? We can't possibly know what you like or how you hear things.

BTW, I own a B-2 and love it.
  9. incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I'd say that they may be fine for your needs. They sound amazing and are nice and portable. I had the same setup you have (more or less) 2 Acme Low-B2's (4 ohms) with 500 watts for each and I was very impressed and almost had the volume I needed. My band is on the loud side so I think you should be ok in your situation. I did return mine but at times think that maybe I should have just bought 2 more Acmes and another amp............:D :eek:
  10. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    The only negative comments I've ever heard about Acme are the following:

1. They're not loud enough (this is true if you're underpowering them, and you certainly shouldn't expect them to sound like 8x10's, but if you've got plenty of power you should be able to get more out of them than most 2x10's.)
    2. They have rear ports. Not sure what significance this holds, but it blows air at the wall behind it instead of at your feet, so you can get some reinforcement by placing it against a wall.
    3. They have crappy handles. This cuts into the "portability" factor.
    4. They're flat-sounding, so they don't bring out "aggressive" frequencies (low-mid growl, upper-mid honk, high pick noise) that help you cut through a rock or funk band. Personally, I'd rather have a hi-fi cab and rely on my preamp and processors to shape an "aggressive" tone, but that's just me.
  11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    If you'd had two *B-4s* (3 dB more efficient each than the B-2) and 700-1000 watts a side, you probably would have been *killing*.
  12. incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    Yeah I thought about that BUT I really liked the portabillity of the B-2's and no longer wish to haul around anything much larger. I'd rather make a few easy/light trips than one difficult/heavier one. Anyway I have a nice Mesa setup now that is relatively light and compact, sounds great and has the volume I need..........but I still miss the Acmes a little :(
  13. Your Acme are on a par with my subs for low efficiency (and great bass). When I run out of gas for large venues, I add more subs. Smaller venues require less subs. Having multiple, smaller cabs allows you to mix and match. Four B-2 are easier to load up than two B-4 when you are working by yourself.

I figure your pair of B-2 will be just fine for a loud bar. If you want to fill a gymnasium you are going to need more speakers. If you really like the tone of your new B-2, you can always buy another pair used. There is always somebody willing to buy high and sell low.

Dec 29, 2001
    Warsaw, New York
    My pair of 4 ohm B-2's never cease to please. What is sacrificed in absolute loudness is counterbalanced by magnificent tone and portability. Have received many favorable comments from audience members attesting to this.
  15. Anybody use octavers or deep filters with their Low B-2's? Andy lewis told me these were basically off limits with his cabs....? I use them all the time with my other setups and have never had a problem. Is he just being over-cautious or is an Acme 4 ohm B-2 off limits to me for my "dub-econo"?
  16. I have a low B2-W and I absolutely love it! It really blows away my old Trace-Elliot 1x18, and the portability factor is simply amazing!

I'm biamping it with a Hartke 7000 head, which drives it quite well with 350W (I got the 4 ohm model). I crossover at 450HZ, so basically all of my fundamentals and some of my harmonics are coming out of the acme.

For the top end, I'm currently using an SWR Goliath Jr. III (2x10 + tweeter), but I'm in the process of shopping for a lighter cabinet. I'm looking at the Eden CXM-110 and the EA CxL-110 and also trying to find somebody that has an EA VL-108 (they don't make them anymore).

So, stick to your guns and be happy with your purchase!

I play pop/rock with a Fernandes 5-string. They have me also running thru the PA with subwoofers out front.

17. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    If what you're looking for is relatively uncolored sound and flat frequency response to 30 Hz in a compact package, the Acmes are a great value. I've had a pair of Low B-2s powered by a QSC RMX 1850HD (600 W @ 4 ohms per channel) since February, and I love them.

500 watts per B-2 will be adequate - I actually had a drummer tell me to turn down! Just don't let the clip lights come on more than occasionally and you'll be fine.

I may have Andy Lewis build me a 2 ohm Low B-4W for really loud gigs. My amp can certainly handle the load. I've had both Low B-2s hooked up to one channel of the RMX, and it did a superb job with them.
  18. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I too have a blown disc and the B2 is easy to haul. Despite its weight it seems to carry itself well...the handle placement is really good and the cabinet is easy to lift/move etc.

Never used a vertical array of B2s but it would be fun!!!
  19. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
  20. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    What kind of speaker ARE you supposed to use a sub-octaver with? I mean, SWR builds them into some of their newer heads, and they probably expect many people to use SWR speakers. I don't think many SWR cabs can go down to 18 hz, though. Are you just supposed to use these things with any speaker and pray that it doesn't damage them (even though they won't reproduce the low frequencies at an audible level anyway,) or use them with a dedicated subwoofer?