Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acme. How loud?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Apr 28, 2002.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Ive read all the treads about Acme. The earlier ones is about the need for lots of watts. But lately many claim that even with lots of power they dont get loud enough. Well, how loud can they get with enough power?
    Im playing in a rather loud alt country/rock band. Would a 410 be enough?:confused:

2. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    Well......I had 2 B-2's (4 ohms) at 500 watts each and was "almost" loud enough for my metal band. My drummer hits very hard and my guitarist is through 2 100 watt Marshall 1/2 stacks. Volume wise I was close but I was just clipping my amp.
    I would never recommend NOT trying them. The sound was amazing and they do get pretty freaking loud......just not loud enough for my situation.

3. To illustrate the difference in SPL levels, let's compare cabs.

The Eden 410XLT has an efficiency rating of 106db and can handle 700 watts RMS.

The Acme B4 has an effieciency rating of 96 db and also handles 700 watts RMS.

To increase the SPL level by 3db you must double the power input. This means for a B4 to approach the same volume level as a 410XLT you have to apply six times the power! That's a huge amount and given the fact the both cabs are rated at 700 watts RMS, the Acme cab would melt down before it ever got as loud as the Eden.

To put things in perspective, you would need a 600 watt amp to make a B4 cab as loud as a 410XLT driven with a 100 watt amp.

4. For a loud alt country/rock band, an Acme B4 should be fine, as long as you're powering it with something in the 1000 watts or so range. I used a 4-ohm B4 with a Mackie power amp (1200 watts) in a fairly loud modern rock/alternative band with good results.

The guitarists in that band were playing Fender tube combos, if that gives you some idea of the volume level. However, the Acme was not loud enough to go up against Marshall half-stacks (my current band is like incubis2432's!), but should do for lesser volumes if you feed it enough power.

Mike

5. ntistt01

ntistt01

Apr 11, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I could never get loud enough until I added a 15 cabinet under the ACME. I even fried the thing with a QSC RMX2450.

6. I have 2 4 ohm Low B2s. I use a QSC 2402 power amp which is 750 wps in 4 ohms. I play with 2-3 guitarists, a keyboardist, drummer, percussionist, horn section and lead and background vocals. I have never had a problem of not having enough volume.

7. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I ended up selling my Acme B-2 (8 ohm) which I used with my Walter woods head (1200 watts 4/ohms) not so much because of a loudness issue but because of a cut issue. I switched to VL series Euphonic Audio and ab'd the VL210 and Acme B-2 and while the Acme sounded great in my home by itself, did not cut enough on the gig. (Top 40 and wedding). Tone on the Acme is great, I just feel it is a lower volume kind of speaker and I agree that with Captain Wally; to my ears it was murky and the EA much more defined. They are beautifully built, just not for me.

8. Uh, you mean 10 times. A 10 dB increase is 10 times the power.