Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acme, Impedance and Power

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by martens-koop, Jan 14, 2004.

1. martens-koop

martens-koop

Oct 10, 2002
    Saskatoon
    Hi there! I've got an 8 ohm acme low b2 and have a few questions. I'm using a stewart world 1.2 amplifier and so far have been using just one channel. my assumptions are as follows:

at 4 ohms, the stewart should put out 600 watts per channel or 1200 watts when bridged.

at 8 ohms it would be around 300W per channel or 600W in the bridged mono mode.

my question would then be, will both scenarios deliver the same tone and volume? (ie: be nearly indistinguishable)

or more clearly: will my 8 ohm acme sound the same bridged mono (600 watts) as a 4 ohm running on a single stereo channel (600 watts)

also, if I do try it in the mono mode, presumably I just push the mono button, and make the appropriate hookups. but which channel vol. nob would I use? 1 or 2? or do I use both?

thanks!!!

does any of this make sense?

JMK!!!

2. martens-koop

martens-koop

Oct 10, 2002
    Saskatoon
    One other question I've got: if the 8 ohm version of an acme has the same speakers as the 4 ohm version, then where is all that power going in order to cut a power amp in half? or are the speakers themselves actually different in some physical way?

thanks!!! sorry that this is such a technical and uninteresting topic, but I'd really appreciate any ideas you guys might have!!! (especially about potential tone / handling issues)

jmk