Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acme Low B-1...anyone tried it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by subtlestew, Dec 20, 2000.

1. subtlestew

subtlestew Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2000
    Kent, CT
    Hey there all,
    Has anyone out there gotten their hands on the new Acme Low B-1 Series II System yet? What do you think? I know Bass Player reviewed it in August, but I don't have that issue. Anyone have it? Know where to find it on-line? It's not on the Bass Player website.

My main question is power handling. Everyone seems to use much more power than the 300 watts the B-2's are supposed to handle... more power=better sound to those who know Acme. What is the limit? I'll be using a Carvin DCM600 (bridged 600 watts)...should I spring for the B-2? The B-1 is only rated for 175 watts (very conservative, I know...) Oh, I love small stuff, though! I'll be using this to augment an SWR baby Blue II!

Thanks,

-subtlestew

2. GaryB

GaryB

Aug 30, 2000
    I got one for Christmas...

My reason for choosing the ACME LOW B1 was to have a more portable rig for playing small gigs. It is more portable than my Eden D210T cabinets. The Edens weigh 60 lbs the ACME B1 at 30 lbs.

The frequency reponse of the ACME B1 is more even than that of the Eden D210T. The bass is more extended, not as boomy, the mids are cleaner, not as colored and the highs were equally clear. The ACME B1's overall tone was very responsive to playing technique.

I use an SWR Bass 350. It's rated output is 250 Watts into 8 Ohms, 350 Watts into 4 Ohms and 400 Watts into 2 Ohms. If my memory serves me right, ACME recommends a minimum of 100 Watts to a maximum of 350 Watts for the ACME B1. For my purposes the ACME B1 is good match with my amplifier.

In my opinion, especially if small size is not the primary reason for choosing a B1 over a B2, I would go with the B2 with the power amplifier you refer to in your post.

I have yet to see how well the ACME B1 performs in a band setting, but I am very pleased with the how my basses sound through this small but high quality bass speaker cabinet.

3. subtlestew

subtlestew Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2000
    Kent, CT
    GaryB,

Thanks for the info. I'm doing a little X-mas shopping myself, and while I really only have the cash for the B-1, I think I'm going to do some scrounging to swing the B-2. In addition to the fact that $120 more gets you twice the power handling (going from B-1 to B-2), the Baby Blue is really my small gig amp by itself. I'm looking to augment in case I need to play in a louder setting. The B-2 is certainly better for that, and my 600W probably matches nearly as well as your 350W for the B-1. My query about power for the B-1 came from my hope that the B-1 would be enough juice to augment my SWR; I think I'm going to make sure I've got enough by springing for the B-2.

The B-1 sure is cute, though!

Thanks, man.

-subtlestew