Acme Low B-2 (pair) question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by incubus2432, Mar 29, 2002.

1. incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    Hey all.....I'm rather new around here and have been checking out this cool site for a few weeks and reading any posts that vaguely interested me and I find this to be an excellent site with a nice range of opinions. (enough sucking up on my part...on with the questions )
    I found out yesterday that that the Acme Low B-2 4 ohm cabinets (pair) that I ordered are on their way to me and while I have read plenty of the threads on this site (and others) regarding these cabinets, I still have some concerns. All of the "power hungry" business is of the most concern. I have an amp that puts out 500 watts per side into 4 ohms and Andy (at Acme) said that should be plenty of power and that too much more is overkill for the 2x10. I have heard that a pair of B-2's with 500 watts each is amazing and VERY loud and others have claimed that 700 watts isn't enough and the cabinets are way too quiet. Any opinions (or experience) on this?
    Info on me and my "stuff"......
    I play in a metal band (a hard hitting drummer and a guitarist with 2 100 watt Marshall 1/2 stacks). I'm an aggressive finger player (no slap). When we have gigs we hire pro sound guys so I don't have to fill up a large bar with just my little cabinets.
    I love the sound of my equipment through a PA so the tone of the cabinets should please me by all accounts that I have read.
    My basses of choice are Rics (1 4003 4 string/1 4003 4 string strung with low B configuration) my amp is an Ashly FET-2000 and I have a Ampeg SVP-Pro on order for a preamp. Also have an Art Nightbass SE (anyone want to buy it?) and some stomp boxes (wah/chorus/compressor/distortion).

I obviously am getting the cabinets regardless of opinions posted here, but I'm a SPAZ :eek: and keep second guessing myself and am looking for as much info/experience that I can find. AND if I don't like them I will only be out shipping (2 week return option) then I'll look at EA, Epifani, Bergantino or EBS I guess.........Thanks in advance

Brian Crisman
    :cool: also have on order a Ric 4004LK (Lemmy) ............just wanted to mention that 'cause I think it's cool and I love me :)
  2. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Two B-2's would not be my weapon of choice in that arena. Sorry. I don't think any two 2x10's could compete with that. It depends on your guitar player, certainly he'll be able to burry you at will it he chooses.
  3. JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    i have to agree with bikertrash82, i dont think you'll be able to keep up with your guitarist. im playing in a metal band right now too(check the links in my profile) and the guitarist is running a LOUD 100 watt mesa rig. im running 2 15s and 2 10s, with a 200 watt head(if i had more cash right now, it'd be way more) and the only reason i keep up is because im pushing so much air. ive used 610s before at shows, and they just didnt cut it. MHO of course.
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I'm with bikertrash.

I had one B2, was playing in a blues band (read: NOT AS LOUD AS YOUR BAND) and it just didn't deliver with 400 watts into it :(

They are great cabinets, but if I was up against two 100 watt half stacks, I'd be thinking two to FOUR 4-10 cabinets to keep up. I expect you will be dissapointed with the volume levels.

There's a reason you see 8-10s at metal shows all the time.
  5. incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    Right now I have an EV 4x10 cabinet with the same head and I have no problem volume wise keeping up with the rest of the band (with plenty of volume to spare). One of the reasons I am getting the Acme cabinets is because I am sick of hauling refridgerator size cabinets all over the place. I've also had an Ampeg SVT 8x10 and recently I tried a Mesa Powerhouse 1000 (4x10+1x15+horn) and while it sounded great I can't see wanting to move it all the time. If the Acmes sound the way I want and have decent volume, I may consider another pair. I guess I'll find out when I get them.........Thanks,

Brian Crisman
  6. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I just sold a pair of 4ohm Low B2s. I loved the way they sounded but could NOT get the volume I needed out of them with 400w each.
    They have a relatively low efficiency (93db @ 1w/1m) so no matter how much I poured into them they couldn't come anywhere close to the levels I needed for aggressive guitar/drums. I had to crank my amp dangerously high to get anywhere. I quickly went back to higher efficiency cabs. They don't have the depth of character that the Acme's did but I have no trouble in the volume department.
    I would encourage you to really shop around and listen to a variety of cabs. Take an Acme down to whatever music store in your area and A/B it with a variety of other 2x10s (SWR, Eden, Aguilar) and you'll see that when you leave the amp settings the same, the other cabs will be seriously LOUD compared to the Acmes.
    Just my personal experience with the Acmes.
  7. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    ditto on volume problems....

1 Low-B2 with Ampeg svt3pro (allegedly
    450W) was pretty anemic.

while 2 cabs will be better, your requirements are pretty demanding.

you know, for metal, i'm not sure that you're even going to notice an 'even, hi-fi' tone that you get from acmes/EA's. you might actually WANT louder low-mids. of the cabs you listed, Begantino is probably the best choice.

did you look at eden? those cut through the mix in spades.
  8. incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I'm not really an Eden fan (I know most people love them so don't attack me please). Edens remind me of SWRs tone wise and that mid/low accent is annoying to my ears and the lows sound "dirty" (don't know how else to describe it). I know the Acmes aren't common to metal but everything I've tried at local shops doesn't sound the way I want so the Acmes are worth a shot.....maybe I need something totally different, I've tried SWRs, Eden, Mesa, GK, Ampeg and Peavy. The two cabinets that came closest were a Mesa Powerhouse 1000 and an Ampeg PR-1832HE (1x18/2x10/2x6/horn)......the Ampeg was the closest but it still had the built in mid-boost and the 18 was a tad sloppy. Most reviews of the Acmes said they had a flat response across the board and sounded PA like with great low end.
    Like I said, I may totally hate them when I get them BUT it is worth a shot for the price, warranty and size.
    I have no real problem getting another power amp if I am short on's the tone I'm after.
    Also another problem I have is I have no high end bass gear delers in my area (just Guitar Center, Sam Ash and some mom and pops) so checking out the Bergantino/EA/Epifani cabs will be a problem (it is at least a 4 hour drive to the nearest Epifani dealer and I think I'd have to take a plane to see a Bergantino) and ordering online is great but then I'm stuck with them if I don't like them and $1500 for a 2x10/1x15 is alot of cash to throw away on a setup I don't like.
  9. It's important to consider how your cabs sound in the mix, and not by themselves. My rig is probably similar to Acme in tone, and sounds nice by itself. I have difficulties being heard in the mix, although I can be felt. I have to punch up the midbass from 63 ~ 125 Hz by +7 dB to get more cut-through. Everybody tells me they cannot hear my notes, but they can feel them.
  10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I have a pair of Acme B2's and they sound great... but when I started playing with a louder band again,
    they could not move enough air to compete. But you said you use a pro-sound company and that will save you....let the mains handle the air movement and just enjoy the sound of the Acmes, they are very nice sounding cabs!
  11. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I'm in the same boat as a lot of these other folks--I loved the sound of my Acme cabs, but had a really hard time getting the volume I needed once I started playing with a really loud prog/metal band. 1200 watts into a B4 (about the same as 500 watts each into 2 B2's) was great for moderately loud modern rock / pop / alternative, but once I started playing against a pair of Marshall half-stacks, I was redlining the amp all the time. There's also the problem that the Acme top end is very smooth, which is nice form most settings but necessarily the best at cutting through in really aggressive settings.