Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acme Low B-2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Aug 20, 2001.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    anyone have one or four of these? im kinda looking at it. not a bad price at all. how many watts do you dump into it? what kind of music do you play through it?

im thinking about getting 8 ohm acme b2, then getting carvin DCM 1000 to run 700 watts to the acme. is this a good idea

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I have one and love it. Right now I'm running 400 W into it, but I wouldn't mind more. If I expanded my rig, I'd probably get exactly what you're thinking of (i.e., a DCM1500 and a second, 8 ohm, B-2).

I had a problem bridging an R600 into a *4 ohm* Acme, but you probably wouldn't with the setup you describe.

3. I have 2 Low B-2s (4ohm) and really like them.

IMO, one cabinet was not enough. I use a QSC PLX 2402 amp to power them in stereo (7oo wpc). I play everything from jazz to pop to alternative to contempory Christian in a 500+ seat hall. Never a volume problem ;)

Jeff

4. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    ACME LOw B2 , Goooood!!

5. Do you guys think you could hurt it with 1000+ watts? The power amps I've been looking at are the Stewart 1.2, the Peavey 1400x, and the Soundtech PS802. If I get the Soundtech, I will get an 8 ohm cab so I can bridge it (it doesn't do bridging in 4 ohms, just 800w at 8).

Anyway what do you guys think?

|edit| The Low B2 that is.|/edit|

6. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    They're a love 'em or hate 'em kind of thing.
    I'm a "love 'em" guy.
    One thing for sure, there's nothing else like them on the market and pound for pound nothing pumps low end like an ACME.

There's a bunch of stuff at www.bgra.net about them. Most everything you'll read is true.

7. I'd like to point out how many satisfied B2 owners there are above.. and the B2 is a rear-ported cabinet :D

IMO, the Acme line is one of the best engineered systems around, especially for the 5 string player.

8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Sure, you *can* hurt it, under the right (i.e., wrong) circumstances. In the manual, Andy Lewis complains mildly about folks who think you can throw any old amount of power into his cabs without harming them. You can't, for instance, pump a *continuous* 1500 W into a B-2 and expect it to grin and bear it.

But the vast majority of people who use big amps with the Acmes are almost certainly not pumping anything like max power into the Acmes on a continuous basis. They're using the amp's "extra" power for headroom. And like most speakers, the Acmes can easily handle brief peaks much larger than their rated *continuous* power handling capacity.

I've heard of people using the Stewart 1.2s, QSC PLX2402s, and Mackie 1400s with the Low B-2, all with good reported results. Just don't crank everything on your pre and your power amp to 10 and start slamming your bass. I'm sure you wouldn't do that anyway; the whole point to getting big amps is that you don't *have to* do that.

9. you think a b-4 could handle 1000watts continously?

10. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    "you think a b-4 could handle 1000watts continously?"

Mine takes 1100w with no problems from the cabinet but.....

IF that stage where you're working happens to share a common wall with a very expensive art gallery...and IF you get drunk with power....You may receive a visit from an irate gallery owner claiming that your bass rattled a very expensive piece of art off the wall.

You may also find yourself at a band meeting with the club owner where you will be reamed mercilessly for costing the the bar two grand for bad art.

So yea, the cabinet can handle it but not everything else can ;-)

11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Almost certainly, you're not giving it 1100 watts continuously. Unless you turn everything up pretty high and play with no dynamics, which I'm sure is not the case.

12. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    How and why would you be giving it that much *continuously*? Merely hooking a 1000 W amp up to the speaker doesn't mean you're giving it a continuous 1000 W or even close.

But in anmy case, I'd be wary of that. Ask Andy Lewis to be sure. He's the maker, he oughta know.

13. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Most assuredly you're not going to use 1000 watts except for rare peaks.
    I was seeing just an occaisional clip light when the art store incident occured. I was drunk with power and just marveling at the new cabinet and it was stupid loud.

I haven't seen a clip light since unless some ham fingered friend is sitting in.

In any event the sound of the famouse "Acme fart"
    will probably stop you before you can do any damage at 1000W.

It's not the most efficient box on the planet but 1000w will still push you into the range of permanent hearing damage.

It'll get you louder than you need and probably louder than you should. IMHO

14. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    does acme have a website? how much did you pay for the b2??

thanks

15. www.acmebass.com is the website, the amount they payed is on the page. It's actually a good website, check it out.

16. im buying a carvin r1000 head and a b-4 4 ohms thats 1000 watts in it at all times right?

17. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    27% + 41% + 10% + 50% + 40% + 100% = 268%
    Is that your whole family?
    lol
    Matthias

18. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    No. It means you have a max of about 1000 watts available to you on a continuous basis. It doesn't mean you're using them all at all times.

It would be great if you could post here about your experience with this combination. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I had trouble bridging an R600 into a 4 ohm B-2, and I've always wondered if that was just a problem with my individual setup or whether there was a deeper issue there that Carvin ought to address. If your setup works with no problems, that would be good to know. Thanks.