1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acme Low B-2W as standalone (woo hoo!!)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jefenator, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Just fired up the Acme Low B-2W (woofer only 2x10). Haven't used it in a while, been thinking about selling it. Better take it out for a test drive, make sure everything's OK. The good news is, the drivers seem to be working fine.

The bad news is, I'm seriously hooked again. :D

The Acme is maybe a few more cubic inches than the Aguilar 1x12 I've been using but with two handles, it actually feels more comfy to schlep.

And the low-end. OMFG!! :eek: :p

Needless to say, it's not a "natural" sounding cab at all. But there's enough highs, I found it best to leave the tone knob on the bass down all the way. I could have used a bit more "punch" for melodic soloing. But down in the money range, it was bliss.

So... yeah. I might have to re-think this spring cabinet selloff. :meh:

2. But, have you compared it to two Aguilar 112's?:smug: That would be an entirely different story IMO!

Edit: To clarify my comment above, the Acme210 is a great little cab, and the low end is amazing. However, if you are dialing back the low end to try to punch up that cab, you would be MUCH better off getting a second Aguilar 112. Most 210's will sink a single 112, but two 112's is just killer, and the Aguilars (whether you have the GS or DB) will give you plenty of usable bass (i.e., bass you don't have to work to control with EQ), and MUCH better upper mid and treble clarity than the Acme's IMO.

3. Both Acme and Aguilar cabs rule! :D

4. vier-personen

vier-personen

Apr 10, 2006
    how would 2 1x12 aguilar cabs compare volume-wise to the low b2?
    I love the tone of the acmes, but I have 2 8ohm low b1 I play with a wt-550 eden head, and sometimes it´s not loud enough...

5. Any 2x112 stack is going to smoke a 210. Given the voicing of the Acme (that deep, deep low end extension that sounds fat and full, but that can both lack mid punch in a mix and also suck a lot of power), the volume difference will be in the area of 'shocking' IME.

The tone will be very different though... much brighter and tighter, not as organic and deep (although you will have PLENTY of low end... probably more perceived low end out in the audience, just not that 32hz deep extension).

6. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    If you have enough power a single B2 can move more air than two GS112s.

Alex

7. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Em Alpha6-A and their 800 Hz passive crossover in the smallest box possible, with a pass-through for the LF signal that you connect to the B2W, and you've got the problem solved and then some.

8. By 'move more air', if you mean at the deep low end, I would agree. I've actually A/B'd these two rigs with an Eden WT550, and, well, let's just say the Aguilar rig was shockingly louder and punchier, and that wasn't even in a mix! The DB112 x 2 even more so.

However, they do sound VERY different, and it would be unusual to not have a strong preference for one or the other.

9. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Might surprise you ; }

10. That looks interesting. So, if I understand your post, that's a super duper mid driver that will provide more DB's in the upper midrange versus the standard Acme mid driver/tweeter? So, combining this with the Acme and the passive crossover/filter, you would have all that wonderful Acme deep low end, but a bit more presence up top?

11. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Yep, though I chose that driver because it matches decently with 2 Acme woofers. The midrange driver I favor actually can keep up with maybe 8 of them ; }

12. Am I missing something???? The OP was talking about the B2W that has neither midrange nor tweeter. It's essentially a sub-woofer cabinet!

Paul

13. No... I was missing something! I read right by that. I can't imagine using that cab as a stand-alone:eek:

14. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    D'oh! Paul's right....the W was designed as a dedicated subwoofer for folks who want to biamp or add a little extra on the low end. All bets are off.

Riis

15. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    That was my point - if you like the tone if gives as a standalone (which is just thick and fat and deep and old school) then one or two GS112s could never compare.

And if you want more punch and top-end stick a small cab with those components greenboy has linked on top of it.

Alex

16. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Temper that with the crossover point that's probably used in regular B series 3-ways - what is it? - 1000 Hz? So there's life above the subwoofer domain in the B2W if you want to use it for roots reggae/dub, stoner sludge, blues, whatever.

17. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    The Acme is 8 ohms and so is the Aguilar 1x12 - might have to see how that works as a mini-stack. :bassist:

I believe the "W" model is intended to be run parallel with a full range cab, or as a subwoofer. The web site specifically does not recommend using it stand-alone. So I was bad. But I'm not sorry. (After a good night's sleep, I'm still grinning :D)

I also have a full-range Acme B-2, was my main cab for years. It seems like, without all the crossovers & junk, the "W" model is much less power-hungry. (B-2 used to clip all my rack head power amps & still want more. But my LMII seemed to be fine, driving the B-2W, 300W @8 :meh:) But last night's test was on a Jazz gig, so that's not as demanding a setting as the louder stuff I used to do.

I also have an Aguilar 2x12 and can vouch that it holds up better for loud stuff than the full-range B-2 used to. So just like any 2x10, the Acme lies somewhere between a 1x12 and a 2x12. But the low end is just spectacular.

I'll keep experimenting. That's part of the fun. :)

18. The B2W does have a crossover but it's just the low pass section as I understand.

Paul