Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

acme low b 4

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xb100, Dec 5, 2004.

1. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Hey guys i have been doing some research about the acme low b4, and i was wondering would it be a good cab to use in a rock band?

I've read that its power hungry. (I can take care of that with my qsc 1450 in bridged mode probobly.)

Ive also read that the tone is kind of flat and it isnt colored at all.

Would either a bbe bmax or a tech 21 sansamp rbi be best to get a nice rock tone out of it?

Also it is a shoot out between a acme low b4 or a schroeder 1210.

Both about the same price but what can you ugys say?

Thanks

-rob

2. Do you like that kind of sound?

3. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I've never owned one, but as a drummer I've played in rock or blues situations with a few bassists who have used them. From where I was sitting they always sounded very clear. It was always really easy to lock in with the bass player using them.

Coincidentally, every one of those guys played a Lakland 55-94 through it. Hm, interesting.

Anyway, I think they're great cabs. If I were building a new bass rig right now, it'd have two B2s.

If you do even a minimal amount of digging you'll find at least one semi recent thread comparing a 1210 and an Acme (among other cabs). If you're curious about a Sansamp RBI through a B4, buy a used RBI on ebay and resell it if you don't like it. They seem to be avaliable all the time with no shortage of buyers.

Also check out the SWR Interstellar Overdrive or Grand Prix.

4. Hrothgar

Hrothgar Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    Seattle
    i can't speak for you, obviously, but I know what I would do. I use to own the Acme B4. I loved it!!... for the most part. After I bought my Bergantino mini stack I could never go back. It seemed to me that the power hungry Acme felt as if every note needed an extra push to get it out of the cab. I had a Stewart 1.2 at the time run mono, so it should have been fine. Just seemed a little...held back? The tone was amazing though, but for some reason it just didn't seem...free (i guess that's what the word would be).

My berg's on the other hand, are lovely. Not held back at all. Notes just want to sing from her. Much like the Schroeders from what I've heard. And the Schroeder is a lot lighter, too (than the Acme)! Something like 47 lbs...? and 850 watts! After all the reading I've done on that puppy, I know I'll have one in my arsenal someday! The only reason I haven't traded out my Berg's for one yet is the versatility factor. It matches perfectly with my new AI Focus.

5. I think they are tremendous sounding cabs. It took me a while to get it dialed in right. You can't EQ it the way you do a normal cab. Most cabs require you to crank the bass knob to get good low end. I run my Acme flat, and still get a huge amount of deep, clear fundamental. It's like getting punched in the back when you hit a low B or C, there's nothing quite like it. These cabs are referred to as "flat" and "uncolored', but that certainly doesn't mean they are boring sounding. It just means that they dont have a built-in sound. Their sound is whatever you put into them. If you have a good signal chain, with either a high-quality head or rack pre and power amp, and a good bass, and are willing to spend time EQing them right, little else will sound as good. The 3 way design, with a separate 5 inch mid driver and tweeter, is quite capable of throwing out tons of mids and highs... like I said.. if you EQ them in. Another good thing about this is that if you run a post-EQ DI, you're sending the FOH a much clearer signal than one in which the bass is cranked up to make a traditional bass cab sound better.

The great thing about the 3 way design is that the cab is capable of simultaneously putting out huge low end, grinding mids, and sparkling highs, since there is a driver for each range. I'm playing in a rock band and it wasn't until I got the Acme that I got a sound I was really satisfied with. I run mine with 600 watts at practice, but I've dumped the full 1800 watts of my power amp into the B-4 with no problems... I had to stop doing that because I was worried about the structural integrity of the basement we practice in... those low fundamentals can literally shake pictures off walls and cause things to fall over, etc....

oh yeah, I run a BBE BMax, I saw that you had asked if anyone is using one. Great preamp, dirt cheap... check out Northern Sound and Light if you want to get one really cheaply.

6. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I have a B2 and I love it. I boost my mids and it cuts through the mix very well. It took me a long time to finally set my Eq to where I was happy with the sound in the context of a band.

Buying a B4 will make you clean up your technique in a hurry. These cabs can and will show all of your mistakes in a very audible way. You can not hide behind boosted low mids and bass.

I play a G&L ASAT through it and I love my tone.

If you like how your bass sounds direct and with no coloring, go for it. But if you don't, you will not be happy.

7. I own a b4 and like it for my application but I use in-ear monitors. I would suggest looking into the new gallien krueger 2x12's. They are supposedly flat frequency and are cheaper and a lot more efficent than acmes.

8. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Thanks for all the replies. I greatly appreciate it!!!

9. Scooperman

Scooperman

May 28, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY

I have a Low B2 and a a 1210. I've never used a B4 but I suspect that the B2 (provided enough power) would probably be closer to a 1210 than a B4 would be. From what I've heard about the B4, the larger Schroeder cabinets (the 410 and the 21012, for example) would be closer in volume. That being said, for its size, the 1210 is the loudest cab I've heard.

Here is the thread where SlinkP and I run the the 1210 and LowB2 head to head:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149011
    Hopefully you'll find it useful.

10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I'm starting to sound like a broken record but....

RBI > Crest CA-6 > Acme B-4.

I run the RBI fairly flat and gently attenuate the tweeter and midrange on the cab itself. And like many others, I'm using a Lakland 55-94!

Riis