Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acme Low B Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by amorosomolto, Sep 11, 2003.

1. amorosomolto

amorosomolto

Sep 10, 2003
    Texas
    Hello All!
    Any word on the Acme Low B Cabinets? Does anybody have any experience with them? Im looking at a 4x10 right now. I hear that they sound superb. I think that they have eminence speakers with a midrange and a tweeter. Any input would be appreciated. Thank ALL of you!!! This Forum Rocks!!!!!

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    do a search on my name and "guyplaybass", and there have been LOTS of recent threads on the cab.

3. I'm in love with my Low B-4. It replaced an 18 and two 10's and it F***ING KILLS it in low end!!! Make sure you've got enough clean power as the Acme will litterally gobble it up. With a Low B-4 I wouldn't suggest using less then 1000 watts. I'm running a Peavey DPC1400X bridged mono (1400 watts) into mine. My next endeavor is to aquire a QSC PLX3402 and another 4ohm Low B-4. 1100 watts to each cab!!!

Must... not... crap.... pants..........

:eek:

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    LMAO :D

btw, just ordered a Stewart World 2.1. will rock with my DB680 & Acme 4x10.

Must... not... cream... pants..........

5. amorosomolto

amorosomolto

Sep 10, 2003
    Texas
    Tahnks for your replies! Well guys, heres the thing. I have a friend who doesnt play anymore and he let me borrow his acme cabinet 410 ***8ohm*** untill I buy it(which will be a bargain). I am running it through my gallien kruegger 2000rb and it is giving it about 700 watts or so. to tell the truth I love the sound, but there is no volume. I cant keep up with my guitarist and drummer. I know that adding another 8ohm cabinet will not fix this problem. these cabinets are power hungry, and each cab would only get 500 watts if I did. should I just get a acme 4 ohm cabinet from Andy Lewis so I can take advantage of my 1000 watt head? :confused:

6. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I had that problem with a ACME 210 (running dem 201 & stew 2.1) that it just didn't seem to want to cut through. I could have EQ'd it (and did) but it wasn't the sound I was looking for. Way too deep and too clear - kinda like the EA 210, but it seems a little less harsh.

Now I play Epifani and I LOVE LOVE LOVE them.

7. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Joker,

Thats the same pre- and power amp that I'm using, and yes, you will be creaming! I had previously used the Stewart with a Kern IP777 and an Aguilar DB659 preamp. When I got the DB680 a few months ago, I was stunned at the clarity of my sound. I run it through either an Acme Low B2 or a Bergantino 2x12, and they both sound great.

Amorosomolto:

I agree with the other posts. The Acme 4x10 is an incredible cabinet. It does need LOTS of power to sound its best, and with too little power it will not sound good. The recommneded power amp ratings on the Acme site should be viewed as absolute minimums. yes, it will work, but you will get much more from the cabinet if you have lots of headroom in your power amp. Also, because the Acme cabinets have a truly flat response (with no inherent midrange boost), it will give the impression of not being loud enough. I'd suggest experimenting with your tone controls before boosting the volume if you're having trouble cutting through the rest of the band.

JD

8. I'll follow jdombrow and suggest some EQing. I have found that it is far better to CUT frequencies with the Acme. Doing this will free up a little of your already limited power as well, hopefully adding up to a little more volume. If I could spend your $$$ (Can I? Please?) I would get the 4ohm B-4 or two 8ohm B-2's. Having the two B-2's would most likely solve the perceived "lack" of volume by adding another mid range driver and dome tweeter.

Of course an easy sollution might lie in getting an efficient 8ohm 2x10 and pairing it with the 8ohm Acme. You'll still get the HUGE bottom end but with the midrange hump (and perceived "loudness") of a more typical cab. Plus you'll be sucking that 1000 watts out of your amp with the combined 4ohm load. Something like a Peavey TVX comes to mind. You can pick them up really cheap off E-Bay.

Let us know what you decide to do! :bassist:

9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    You will get more volume by using two 8 ohm 4-10s than you will be using one 4 ohm 4-10. Same power output + more speakers = more air moving = more volume.

IMHO, as an Acme user, I don't think Acmes need lots of power to sound good: in fact, they sound better than most speakers at low volumes IME. They just need lots of power to sound reasonably LOUD, which is not the same thing. I don't think they really sound any better when pushed with big amps--I think what's happening is that you get a better overall sound because the *amp* sounds better because it's not having to be pushed so hard. Just like you can dance better carrying a 5 pound backpack than carrying a 100 pound one.

10. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I agree with Richard 100%. I have a B4 and a B2. They sound amazing at all volumes and I was particularly suprised at how good they sound at low volumes. The low end extension of these cabinets is something that needs to be experienced. Unfortunately I have to get rid of mine. I have 2 rigs, ampeg SVT and the acmes. I found that the hi fi wasnt for me because I liked the gritty sound of the SVT better and I cant keep both. I guess Ill mention Im selling my Acmes. :D They are nearly brand new...

11. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    If you can get a sweet deal on this B4, and you don't mind the weight, go for it. I do agree with Guyplaysbass that a pair of B2s is a good stack (more mids/highs, and easier to move), but a B4 is cheaper, esp. if used, and you can use the saved cash to add another cab if needed. I am still giggling like a schoolgirl over the sound I found by adding an EA VL208 to an Acme 210.

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    funny, that's what i say to myself when use my 3x10UL. :D

also, to add to the Acme thoughts, you really need to break 'em in.

when you first get one, the low B sounds like any other cab, but once that surrounds relax properly, LOOK OUT!

and i've had the 2x10, and while a very cool little box, IMHO, i think a 4x10 would slam a harder sonic assault than a pair. but that's just me speculating, after hearing how intense the 4x10 can be.

and also, tho Van knows all about my granny back, the Acme really isnt all that bad to haul around. with a nice cart, you should be fine. carrying up and down stairs is a bit of a chore, but its noticibly lighter than any SWR or Eden 4x10 cab i've had the displeasure of lugging around. :eek:

jdbrow,

with my Sadowsky PJ, i love goosing the bass knob (40hz), while pulling back alot of the highs from 5K on up with a wide Q, and notching a bit at 400k for added clarity. dial in just a wee bit of the treble (4K) knob for added cut, and whichever bass boost to taste, and you've got the "Joker" tone for all things triphop, hiphop, r&b, and funk!

gives you a super gut-punchie low end fatness, with a rounded carve to the top end that i simply crave. very :cool:

13. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Oh come on, you only live once - at least that's what i tell myself when i'm carrying around the 110lb. Epi T410... :cool:

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    eh, like i said before, if the tone's worth it, i guess we'd haul anything around!

:bassist:

15. herrera

herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    so???
    iconclusion what amps as an examplewould fit the acme b4?

the GK 1001?
    or what?
    SWR 750x?

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    the amp head that you can afford with the most versatile EQ and most power. GK does this well for good money.

17. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Based on the power requirements, I think those two amps would better suit the B-2, no? From what I've read, people tend to pump roughly 700watts per B-2 with much success.

18. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Thats true. I used a mackie 1400 bridged mono into a B2 or a B4. With the B2 I would turn the volume up 2/3 on the amp and all the way for the B4. IMO the B4 could use more than the mackie was putting out (nearly) maxed. As a side note I used my SVT-CL to power the B4 once. It sounded not bad up to a certain point and then it turned scary. I was fearing for my speakers or the amp or both! :eek:

19. Are you STILL giggling like a schoolgirl over the sound I found by adding an EA VL208 to an Acme 210 ?

20. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    I'd have to say that the Acme Low B-2 is one of the best cabs I've ever owned/played. Two of them together make a phenominal combination. If you want a bit more output, couple those two with a subwoofer and you have an amazing setup. My only problem with the Acmes is that they just aren't loud enough. Getting through at a band practice was rough, let alone at a show.

Ultimately, I've decided to give up on the Acmes. Although the Acmes do lack a little bit in the super low department, they're probably the overall best sounding cab there is. I'd recommend one to a country, jazz, upright, gospel, etc. player in a heartbeat... but if you want to be heard in a loud rock mix, you need a cab with a high sensitivity and power handling.

In the future, the Accugroove Tri 2x10L is going to give Acme some serious competition... it's not quite as deep and not quite as light, but it's sensitivity is a full 10dB louder. As far as I know, Andy does not utilize neodymium drivers in his cabs. This will present a major problem, as many larger and previously heavier cabs are soon to be competing with Acme over portability.