Acme Low B subwoofer cabs, any experience?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MacheteJames, Dec 22, 2003.

1. I've yet to hear of anyone using one of these. It looks like it's the same thing as the B2 and the B4, without the midrange speaker. I'm curious as to how well they'd work with other cabinets, since that's what they are for. Has anyone tried one?
  2. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    andy offers a two week trial period, with a no questions asked return policy if you're not happy. why not give it a go. just make sure you ask for the "pre-broken" set of speakers for your cab to get the most out of the cab, out of the box.
  3. I think I will, but I need a head or a rack setup first... my 450 watt Peavey Nitrobass needs about twice that much wattage to do one of the Acmes justice, if everything I've read is true.
  4. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    What are you planning on using them with?

5. I was thinking an Avatar 2x10 plus an Acme Low B2W... maybe two Avatars if necessary, since it's going to be used in a fairly loud context.
  6. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    James, although I have no experience with the Acme "W"s, I do have a pair of B2s. If you need low AND loud, I think you'll be happier with the B4W (or two B2Ws).

I bought my first B2 hoping it would be a portable replacement for the 15" in my 2x10 + 1x15 stack. The Acme's lowend was everything I'd hoped for, but the B2 couldn't match the volume of my EA VL210.

The B2W + Avatar 210 might be a good match, but I'm pretty sure you'll drown the B2W with a pair of Avatar 210s (or any other pair of 210s, for that matter).

I solved my volume problem by getting a second B2. A pair of B2s is plenty for me. When I add the EA VL210, it's downright criminal.
  7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC

joker, is this a regular service Andy offers now? Is there a surcharge?
  8. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey Rich,

well, i read that somewhere in another post, someone mentioning they got their cab "pre-broken" in. i should have called Andy to confirm that, but didnt. maybe you can confirm for us. ;)
  9. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Boys, GO TO YOUR ROOM! Don't bother Andy, he's a busy man! Just do what everybody else does, for Christ'sake. When the Acme arrives on your doorstep, just call in sick.. cancel your appointments... WHATEVER...and break it in youself!