Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ACME low B1 accugroove tri 112 EA NL210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by antonyhequet, Dec 28, 2003.

1. hello,

I'm going thru one of those gear periods and would like to hear a word from players who have experience
    with the following bass cabs :
    - ACME low B1
    - Accuggroove Tri 112 (or other models)
    - Euphonic Audio NL 210 (or similar models).

My first idea was to get a pair of ACME Low B1 which I could also use as a miniature PA for voice and other sounds coming from my Kyma workstation. Before I dive in, I am also considering a single larger,
    deeper and more powerfull cab, in particular the Accugroove...

A word of advice from coming from experience...

Cheers!

2. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Bonjour!

I have owned the Acme cabs in the past, and I thought they did very well for audio playback, so I think a pair of 1x10's would would well for mini PA duty, as well as for bass.

I have no experience with the others you mentioned.

3. I haven't played the Low B1s specifically, nor the NL-210, but I do have experience with the Tri 112, the EA CXL-210 and the Acme Low B2.

I preferred the Tri 112 to the El Whappo that I played. It is smaller, which is for me nicer, but it also had a bit of a different sound. The El Whappo was more studio monitor flat-like while the Tri 112 had a bit more low midrange emphasis it seemed. The Tri 112 was a monster and I would suggest checking one out. I have quite a desire to pick up a couple of them.

The Acme Low B2 sounded just like I had heard. Pretty neutral on emphasis across the spectrum with a deep low end extension (not a lot of bass per se, just it reproduced very low frequencies). Not only that but this cab held that low end very tightly, IMO it was much tighter than many of the high end cabinets surrounding it (EBS, Berg, etc.).

The CXL-210 is a very nice cabinet. I own one, so I am perhaps somewhat biased. It isn't necessarily better than the other two, in fact I would say they are all pretty equal in terms of quality. The EA sounds more like the Accugroove. Not quite as deep of a sound as the Acme. It has a very sweet high end that I really enjoy.

I would have to say though, if you are looking for a mini-PA set up here, the Acmes are probably the way to go. They are smaller and cheaper than the other two. If you only get one of the other ones, you lose the coverage and stereo ability that you would have with the Acme.

Just my $0.02.

Geoff

4. salut Geoff et Coyoteboy,

tahnks for the input. Ia ma really leaning toward the Low B1 rig. If I really like it I might even build a quad rig with 4 Low B1, 2 for voice and two for the other sounds including the bass side of my chapman stick...

amitiés de la France

5. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I use the Acme B1 for upright and love it. I've never tried it but I've heard guys on this board say they've used a pair for mini PA and that they sound great. I own EA, Aguilar and Raezer's Edge cabs and the Acme B1 is my favorite for upright.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i use a pair of 4 ohm 1x10 Acme cabs and love 'em for PA work. last fall, a DJ friend used them for a wedding. didnt really use them for music, but mostly for standard vocal stuff, and he really loved them.

and for my trip hop group, i regularly use my little 1x10 along with my Alessandro Basset Hound for our rehearsals. IMHO, you cant find a more versatile little cab.

but if you're looking for something more powerful, nothing will beat the Tri112. from what i've heard from guys on this forum, it sounds like the shizz.

the NL210 from the specs alone, doesnt seem like it goes nearly as low as the other two cabs. also, despite many people commenting on the EA's proported "flat" natural response, my Acme cabs sound closer to what i've heard in DI'ed playback.

but as all things on this board, YMMV. ;)

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I have a B1. They are not very loud cabinets. I was not able to use mine w/ 200w in a medium-loud pop/rock band setting (drummer w/ sticks, one guitarist with a combo amp). It does however sound excellent.

Even the B2 will not compare, volume wise, to an NL210, and probably not to the Tri 112. And it would probably like >500w to get close.

8. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    One 10 inch speaker with a pop rock band probably wouldn't cut it no matter what brand speaker you use. Unless the band plays at really low volumes the most efficient ten inch probably wouldn't fill the room. You'd really need two and you wouldn't want to pump 500 watts into one B1.

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    In the same situation I've done OK with the same power (a little less, actually, as it's into 8 ohms) and a VL-110 (which still isn't a very efficient cabinet).

Anyway - the B1 is extremely inefficient, as far as bass cabs go.

10. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    No argument there. I really only use mine for upright gigs and lucklily mine is 4ohms so I can draw a little more power from the amp.

11. a lot of input here which I would summarize this way :

1) the ACME Low B1 sounds good but is not efficient and does not put out a lot of dB;

2) the Accugroove cabs sound good, are more efficient and put out more dB, thay are also heavier, bulkier and more expensive;

3) the current EA are not are not as accurate butt the older VLZ models are.

I am ready to invest in a pair of Low B1 each with a Bryston PPC 300 SST mono block (the equivalent of a 4B SST) 300 watts under 8 Ohm, 500 watts under 4 Omhs.

Will I get as much out sound pressure out of this rig as a with a single Accugroove Mini Whappo or Tri 112 with a Bryston 4B SST bridged in mono...

12. Hi Anthony,

At the risk of sliding into off topic obscurity: I have understood that you have, or had, two Schertler Pub 3/280 powered speakers. Do you still use them or are you seeking a replacement for them. If so, in what way didn't the Schertlers meet your expectations? Thanks in advance for your answer.

Vincent

13. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Since, it seems that I am actually the ONLY one here who has actually played through and own an NL210. I can tell you that they are extremely accurate as well as extremely light weight and powerful. I cannot tell you how they would work with as a PA as that is not the application I use them for.

If you are familiar with my work, I do a great deal of looping and multiple bass stuff. Even with 4 or 5 loops happening the EA NL-210 is crystal clear through the frequency range of my 4 and 5 string basses (5 with a high C).

Thought you'ld like a real conclusion based on actual experience instead of spculation from the others. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions on the cab.

Mike

14. hello Vincent,

I have a pair of Schertler Pub 2/280. Very soon they will be going back to Schertler to locate the source of hum (sounds like 50 Hz). They sound very nice on my voice and probably make a very good acoustic bass rig (that's hat they wer designed to do). I find they are not able to handle the output of the bass side of my stick when I start punching low notes. The Pub 1/380 bass xtension would probabmy be a good answer to this problem but I am now leaning toward separate amp and cab with full band in a single cab for several reasons :
    Less prone to breakdown,
    easier to fix when there is a breakdown.
    I also am not convinced of the validity of separate subs for a list of reasons...

Tell you more of you want but have to run now.

Antony

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Anthony:

I have not played any ACME cabs, though I have played, and own, cabs from EA and Accugroove. I am a big fan of EA's older VL series cabs, and own a bunch of them. But, having checked out some of the Accugroove cabs at Low Down Sound, I knew that I had to have one, and I recently picked up a Whappo, Jr. I am not sure what your intended use will be, but you also mentioned the Mini Whappo. This is the cabinet that really sold me on Accugroove. It is phenomenally accurate, and very full sounding for such a small speaker. My reason for going with the Whappo, Jr. is that the Jr. really moves a lot more air than the Mini, and I was hoping that the Jr. could handle all of my medium to large gigging needs.

Although I have not yet played out with the Whappo, Jr., or even given it much of a workout, I did briefly A/B it to one of my favorite sounding cabs, the VL-208. Perhaps not too surprisingly, the two sounded very similar, especially at lower volumes. However, the Accugroove most definitely had more low end, and moved a lot more air. It was also appreciably louder, which is as much of a result of its 4 ohm impedance as it is of the increased efficiency.

The new NL-210 sounds like a very promising cab. The Wizzy is also quite nice, though it does have its own sound. The older VL cabs are great, especially if you have the watts to push them with.

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with EA or Accugroove, although it seems that other's opinions may vary.

Hope this helps, Tom.