1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acme Low B2 Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sflajimmy, Oct 21, 2009.

1. sflajimmy

sflajimmy

Nov 6, 2005
    South Florida
    I'm noticing some crackling in the dome tweeter in my Acme. I doubt this thing can be cracked or damaged. I rolled off the high attenuator setting and that solved it but I'm wondering why this is happening. Any one else ever experience this problem?

2. Contact Andy at Acme. Sounds like it might be a crossover issue, since tweeter failure is usually 'all or nothing'.

He will take care of you... great company, great service.

Edit: Of course, make sure that it isn't your bass or cable. Even if it goes away when you turn the tweeter off, that could just indicate that the problem only manifests itself in the upper treble region. Try a different cable and bass to make sure.

3. The only time I have experienced this is when my pre-amp (BBE BMax-T at the time) clipped. The tweeter cracked horribly. I agree with Ken to call andy.

I usually run both my attenuators at about three-quarters. Could you be overdriving your amp? Active bass? Check your battery. Do you gig with just one?

Paul

4. sflajimmy

sflajimmy

Nov 6, 2005
    South Florida
    I'm running it with my Eden WT 550. Maybe I need to roll back the gain some but it happened when I was playing my Lakie Glaub which is passive so I just don't imagine I was clipping. Good advice from both of you and yes I'm noticing it when playing the A and above. I will call or email Andy and see what he says. I love the cab and I've had for over 3 years after purchasing it new from Andy. I'll update this when I get it figured out and thanks again!

5. So you're gigging with just one?

Paul

6. finn74

finn74

Nov 28, 2001
    Washington DC Area
    Replace the bulb in the crossover, the cabinet will return to like new status.

7. I don't think that would have any impact. If the bulb blew, there would be no sound coming from the tweeter or mid driver. If it didn't blow, then putting a new one in wouldn't have an impact as far as I know. It is kind of an 'all or nothing' thing.

8. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    It could be a loose connection in the bulb, which just breaks contact occasionally. Worth checking at least.

Alex

9. jellymax

jellymax Don't fry any wooden fish Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SF CA
    i agree. i work in the auto industry--bulbs do not like vibration,
    . the filament can break & flop around then make contact
    occasionally...

10. sflajimmy

sflajimmy

Nov 6, 2005
    South Florida
    Home use only at the moment.

11. sflajimmy

sflajimmy

Nov 6, 2005
    South Florida
    Uh not familiar with that part....:help:

12. It's the 'tweeter protection' circuit. I assume you get to the bulb through the back panel. I would be really surprised if this was your issue, but I agree worth a try to take it out and put it back in and make sure it is snug.

13. Rodger Bryan

Rodger Bryan Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    Is your B2 a series II, and do the newer models still use the bulb protection??

I have a series I B2- 4 ohms. When the cab was about 5 years old, I heard intermittent crackling from the tweeter when I dug into the strings a little. I called Andy to discuss it and he had heard very little about this type of thing. He said that I could try to replace the bulb in order to rule it out, but that he didn't think that the bulb was the problem- probably because they usually burn out completely.

The problem was resolved by the replacement, so I think it is a good place to start.
    R

14. Interesting. That would be an easy fix. The bulb is still used, but Andy now has a 'circuit breaker' option that seems to be a good idea with these cabs.

15. Unfortunately not you have to pull the top woofer to get at the lamp. I've had to do this once on one of my series II but my pair of series I are still going strong.

Paul

16. finn74

finn74

Nov 28, 2001
    Washington DC Area
    Believe me a new bulb makes a world of difference. You will have to remove the grill and top right woofer to locate the crossover components, they contain the bulb. I believe its a standard tail light buld for an automobile. 1157?

17. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

I was having mid range issues with my B2. Andy said to change the bulb and clean the socket; problem fixed.

18. This all suggests that those who are considering a new Acme cab should go with the 'circuit breaker' option versus the bulb.

19. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

The Series B 2 has an optional poli switch which replaces the lightbulb..its a $10.00 up charge....