1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

acme low b2 times 2 and carvin dcm 1000?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by markandsophie, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Hi would a carvin dcm 1000 amp be enough power for 2 acme low b2 cabs to get their full potential or do i need to drive them with more watts as they are not as efficient as other cabs?

Thank you

carvin dcm 1000 is 350 watts each channel at 4 ohms.

acme low b2 cabs rated at 350 watts

2. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    hi, pretty sure the acmes will want at least double that power to open up...

3. I don't think "full potential" really means anything. Running a speaker at the limits of its capacity is not necessarily the greatest idea.

350 W per cab is fine *if that gets you the the tone and volume you want*. Not fine if it doesn't. You need to think about what kind of music you play, what environment you play in, how loud you like to play, whether you have PA support, etc. IOW it's not possible to just say 350 W is enough or not enough. The answer depends on context.

It's not as if the speakers refuse to work right if you don't give them a kazillion watts. They work fine. They just don't sound as loud, and you don't have as much headroom. Acmes aren't magic in that regard; they're much like any other speaker in this respect, just overall less efficient than most. Sure they sound better with more power, *but so does every other speaker IME*, within the limits of its capacities.

4. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    350W is a starting point for 4 ohm B2s. Richard's exactly right - it's all relative to the volume you need and the amount of air that has to be moved. I ran my B2s with 700W each, and Alex Claber hits his with 900W if I'm not mistaken.

Lonnybass

5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    If you bridge the amp into two 8 ohm cabs, they'll each get 500 watts. That sounds pretty reasonable to me. The DCM is a great amp, by the way.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    +1

the acmes are the one set of speakers where careful consideration is a must.

IMHO, 400 watts is minimum, and yet, i'd still like to have a bit more to better serve the headroom for when i go extra low. also, the more wattage the better in helping for that tight punchy sound.

7. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I used to have a pair of B2s and used to power them with a Mackie 1400W, which would put 450W @ 4 Ohms per side, I think.

It wasn't enough. And I once fried an Eden 800 with the Acmes from pushing the amp too hard. :meh:

They are the "amp" killers.

8. Not to be harsh, but it sounds as if *you* were the amp killer, my friend. Speakers don't kill amps, bassists do.;)

9. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    2nd that. bridge it. it should be good with that setting.

10. thankyou for the answers all very informative. The person selling the amce is selling it as a package so the dcm 1000 amp is with it.
    The band i play in is straight ahead rock. Im currently using a eden wt400 and labsystems bass cabs, 210 and 15 at 400watts each box. I havent been able to try out the acmes so i thouhgt id ask after looking at all the posts about acme and the power they need to get sufficient volume. GAS is what i have so i thought id ask about the acmes.

Cheers

11. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    When I read the title of the thread, something rang a bell... I visited the FAQ at www.acmebass.com and found this...

Don't know if this carries over to the DCM amps...

"Q. Let's talk about the Carvin 1000 amps

I have a Carvin Red Line 1000 watt bi-amp. I was thinking that the best combination for portability and volume, would be two of your cabinets, a B-2, and a B-2W, both 8 ohm.,with the amp bridged in mono, which would give me a 4 ohm load at 1000 watts of power. Does this sound like the way to go?

A. Yes.

This is a popular combination, two 8 ohmers w/the Carvin.

That amp is a little touchy at low impedances, based on my customers' experience, but after the speakers are broken in, in a few hours it seems to handle the load quite nicely.

I recommend that amp when asked, because it has more power per dollar than any other amp I know of.

Customer writes:

Andy,what do you mean the amp is touchy at low impedances? What is the down side?

What would you recommend as a speaker configuration using the Carvin R1000?

The amp will shut down if the impedance drops even very slightly below 4 ohms. Most amps are a little more tolerant in that regard. But the Carvin's a good deal.

Just as you proposed: a pair of 8 ohm cabs in parallel, driven by the Carvin bridged is the best way to go.
    "

12. DanBuck

DanBuck

May 29, 2005
    North Haven, CT.
    Another vouch for the DCM1000. I'm bridging into a 8ohm cab (700w) and its a great amp.

13. the only problem i have is that the cabs that are being sold are 4ohms and not 8ohms so i cant bridge the amp at 500 watts into each cab.