Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acme Low B2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hmjuice, Feb 13, 2002.

1. hmjuice

hmjuice

May 20, 2000
    Austin, TX USA
    I'm looking to downsize my current rig (Ampeg PR410H & PR15H) to 2 2x10 cabs. Has anyone used or heard the Acme Low B-2? Let me know what you think about those or any other 2x10 cabs.

BTW, if anyone's looking for some great sounding Ampeg pro cabs, I've got 2. :D

hmjuice

How low can you go...

2. If you're looking for serious low-end extension and an open and even tone, Acme is the way to go. Be aware that you'll need plenty of power in order to really get the Acmes to sing - I would imagine that about 700 per cab would be sufficient to get them very happy. Although the Acmes want a lot of power, giving them too much can damage them - I managed to damage the drivers in my cab.

That said, two well-fed B2's will really keep you smiling!

3. hmjuice

hmjuice

May 20, 2000
    Austin, TX USA
    Thanks Dan,

I'm currently running a QSC PLX2402 which is 425 watts @ 8 ohms and 700 watts @ 4 ohms stereo. What if I just used one side with both cabs. I could bridge the amp but that brings the power to 1500 watts @ 8 ohms and 2400 @ 4 ohms. What would you do?

hmjuice

How low can you go...

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    You'll find a lot of stuff on these if you do a search.

5. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Judging by other people's comments here and at the Bass Gear Review Archive, you should do just fine with the PLX and a pair of four ohm Low B-2s.

I'm driving mine with an RMX 1850HD. I haven't gigged with them yet but I expect the power to be adequate.

Just don't go nuts with the bass boost or compressor and you should be fine.

6. I would imagine that if you opted for the 4 ohm version and ran the amp in stereo mode you would be set. I think bridging would be a bit too much - these cabs are troopers but they can't handle 2,400 watts! Running stereo into 4 ohms should be just right.

Richard's right - if you search the archives you'll see many more people's advice and experiences. However, I'll paraphrase the majority of it:
    *They're very power-hungry
    *They're very tonally even

BTW - Andy Lewis (Acme pres.) is very nice, knowledgeable, and is great to work with.

7. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    The reports from the trenches are that
    the QSC2402 is enough to driver two 4 ohm
    Acme's (one per channel).

There's nothing wrong with doing the 8 ohm
    thing and bridging into both for more power,
    but some will tell you briding isn't that great
    an idea.

Be warned that you'll get a great even tone
    with wonderful lows, but the volume levels
    just aren't going to touch your Ampeg gear.
    Although the cabs require gobs of power, they
    aren't designed to be that loud....

I had a LowB2 and it was barely enough for a
    coffee shop gig -- two is supposed to be much
    better. In my opinion, these cabs are cool, but
    they're not worth the pain in the butt to me:
    gobs or power, not loud enough, balance between
    giving them louds of power and blowing them up,
    etc.

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I have a couple Acme LowB cabs and they do sound great....but if you play in a loud band they might not put out the volume you need. They just are not loud cabs IMHO.
    Aloha, Jerry

9. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Wally, how much power did you have, and what kind of tone control settings were you using?

I can say from experience that good things happen when you put a pair of Low B-2s together. :D

10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Two Acme lowB cabs sound more than twice as good as a single LowB cab if that makes any sense.
    They really come to life when used as a pair!
    I powered mine with a 2402 and they sounded great!

11. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I just got my low b2 on monday. I got to say that the tone is awesome. The lows are huge. They handle my stingray 5's low b better than my 410xlt. The mids have a nice but not too aggresive tone, and the highs are sweet and creamy. It makes my swr amp almost sound like a tube head. I agree with the power thing everybody is talking about, but I think everyone is in overkill mode. I have an sm500, the low b is an 8ohm cab and it seens to be enough for my band which consists of guitar, drums, keyboards, trombone and sax.

12. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I was running my Low B2 with an Ampeg SVT3pro
    @ 450W (had 4 ohm model).

Andy told me it was enough juice based on players'
    reports back to him. My experience was that it just
    wasn't loud enough. I have a QSC1602 now, so it
    would probably be enough to run one (believe it or
    not, two would probably be stretching it).

Another important thing to consider, is that by design
    these things are not made for slapping...

Off topic: My solution for a 'down-sized' rig was to
    sell the Acme and pick up 2 Bag End 15's. I had the
    chance to A/B a Bag End 15" with the Acme. The
    Acme did have a fuller low end, but the Bag End
    is *WAY* clearer/cleaner/hi-fi + they weigh 44 lbs
    and are a breeze to carry...worth considering if you
    have not already.

13. hmjuice

hmjuice

May 20, 2000
    Austin, TX USA
    Hey CaptainWally,

Is there a way to get a good slap sound?
    I'm using a Bass Pod as a pre-amp into the QSC.
    What did you use?

14. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    "I had a LowB2 and it was barely enough for a
    coffee shop gig"

That must be one helluva coffe shop. My B-2 will cover a 125 seat bar in a southern rock band no problem. With a 5 string.

I use a ce1000 and 4 ohm acmes.
    One B-2 with 1100w will do the above.
    One B-4 with 1100w will get loud enough to get you to stupid, damage your hearing loud.
    One B-2 and a B-4 run series at 900w will get you to stupid, damage your hearing and don't stand in front of it because it will make you sick to your stomach loud.

How much damage do you need to do before it's "loud enough"?

They also sound fine for slapping. I think they sound better. People slapped for years before the "modern" cab came along

How many posts have you seen about people with Eden/SWR's turning their horn either off or way down? I get to use two SWR GIII's at a studio I work at and I can see why.

If you want some nice silky high end without the quack that comes from a horn....ain't nuthin' wrong with Acme.

Yes, a 410 xlt will get as loud with a 100w amp as a B-4 will get with a 1000w amp.
    But...if you have a 1400w amp and you're already breaking your eardrums, what difference does it make?