Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acme Low B4 users

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by embellisher, Feb 20, 2003.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

In my quest for a replacement rig, I am now considering this cabinet as a standalone.

So, people who have used a B4, how does it do in medium to high volume live applications?

How many watts do i need to drive it with?

2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    1000+ Jeff. I'll let someone else handle the rest of your concerns.

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I saw one with 2 blown drivers for something like $225 on bassgear about a week ago. I think the guy said he could get them fixed and then sell it for $350.

EDIT: -here is the ad-

EDIT #2: DOH! I see you have seen that guys ad in the classified ad section...

4. embellisher

You think a Carvin DCM1000 would do it?

5. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I don't know much about the Carvin other than the feedback that I've gotten. You would definitely have to bridge to get that kind of power out of the DCM 1000. I've heard some people say that the Carvins get a little warm when pushed hard and of course running an amp bridged makes it work harder. One of you Carvin owners step up to the plate! :)

Have you talked to Andy Lewis at ACME? He's a pretty straight shooter. The few conversations that I've had with him left me feeling like he was a person that feels very good about his product but I never got a hard sales pitch from him. When I asked him he just simply gave me information on what he felt was acceptable for powering his cabs. Good guy.

6. One of the guys on here,I think it was Richard Lindsey,tried to bridge a Carvin at 4 ohms into a 4 ohm B4 and it didn't work.I think it kept thermaling out after playing awhile.I've used mine R1000)for 3 or 4 years bridged into lots of different cabs so I know they are very rugged but for some reason they don't like the Acmes load.I'd like to get an Acme too someday but I won't till I get new power.

7. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    I had 2 Acme B2s that I powered with a Crest V900 (450 watts into each 4 ohm cabinet) and it wasn't enough for medium to high volume situations. The Crest clipped and I ended up selling the Acmes (after replacing all the drivers) and replacing them with an Avatar 2x12 and Peavey 210tx (both 4 ohm) which give me more volume and less distortion. I would suggest more than 1000 watts for the 4x10, maybe twice that to get the tone Acmes are famous for at medium to high volumes.

8. embellisher

What about with a tube amp, say 400 watts? Anybody ever played a Low B4 or B2 with an all tube amp?

9. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    ::curious look::

10. No, but it's my guess that you'd have to run a 400 watt tube amp practically flat out to get any volume and we all know what a tube amp run flat out sounds like.

11. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    I'm currently running 700 watts per channel at 4 ohms into a pair of B2's.

For a single B4, I wouldn't push it with anything less than 1400 watts for medium to high volume situations.

My original amp put out 350 watts per channel and it simply wasn't enough for driving my Acme's to stage volume. But doubling the recommended wattage for the headroom now makes me VERY happy. You too.

Lonnybass

12. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    I'll bet it sounds like...::drumroll::...A TUBE AMP RUN FLAT!!! :p

13. TheCreature

TheCreature

May 22, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I recently did a gig w/ an Eden WT800 bridged into an 8 ohm Acme B4 in the backline. It couldn't keep up w/ two guitars and a drummer. Medium sized club - rockin blues style - not quiet by any stretch, but not ear bleeding loud either.

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Jeff, the Carvin DCM1000 puts 750 watts bridged into 8 ohms, and 1000 into 4. So, I imagine it'd work for medium volume situations. I hear they suck power like a beauty parlor before the prom, so I'd look into something like a 1500 watt amp, for headroom's sake.

15. embellisher

Thanks for all of the help, guys. I have decided to go in a different direction.

16. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    It's nice to share! :D ;)

17. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    I see all this is rather negative.
    If you want a positive input before final decision, check out this, from a guy called Bruno Luse in Singapore (this is his gear page). He uses a B4 with a Crown1000, and is very pleased.
    He's also a great guy to discuss with.

18. churchpark

churchpark

Jun 21, 2007
    Is this still for sale?
    1 817 637-9669

19. Bluesy Soul

Bluesy Soul Gold Supporting Member

Nearly nine years later?

20. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007