Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acme LowB series II 2-10 or EA older 2-10 or Bag End 2-12 with coax?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flat Bass, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    Which of these cabs would you guys go with? I know they are all great cabs. Mostly I will be using either a SM-900 or Eden WT-400 with a Fender Jazz and a Lakland 55-63 or R bass 5? What do ya think?:bassist:

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I'm not crazy about the Acme though you might like it.

I wouldn't try pushing the EA VL-210 with the WT-400... it would have to work pretty hard (too hard IMO). The Bag End OTOH could be driven well by either head.

I'd go SM-900 with the EA or BE or WT-400 with the BE. Of course that's just me. Only you know what you like and that could very well be the Acme;)

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    What kind of music do you play?

The Acme won't be very loud...ever. I used to hit my B2 with 700+ watts and it was never loud enough (competing with two 100 watt 2x12 combo wielding guitarists in classic rock/alternative band). Even with the B2 sitting on top of a 1x15 with an EVM 15B, the Acme wasn't loud enough.

4. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Three very different cabinets. Based on your amp choices and cabinet efficiencies, I'd recommend the Bag End.

5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    The only thing I don't like about my 15" BE coax is that the tweeter is not adjustable. It's on full all the time.

6. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Preface: I haven't seen/heard the BagEnd, so I won't refer to it.
    I have two Low B2s and one EA VL210B.

I'm assuming if you're getting a single 210, you don't need that much volume right now. If you ARE needing volume, the EA has the edge. If you want LOWS...well, that's how the Acme got it's name.

If I could only choose one, for 5 string I'd choose the Acme. But I'd plan on adding another one later. Then you'll need more power.

Or you could do what I did. Buy the EAVL210 first. Then buy the Acme LowB2 because you need more lows and a little more volume. Then buy another Acme cause you need louder lows. (or if you're a strappin' fella', just get one B4).

Just my B2 cents.

7. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Small thing, really. Bag End no longer produces the Co-Axial 12" driver. You'd have to find a used one.

8. I am using two Acme Low B-2 series IIs and they are exactly what I was hoping for. I love them, but they are not for everybody. If you have a wealth of power or don't need huge SPLs and are after a sound that is similar to being DI'ed into the board then they might suit you. Good luck!