Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acme LowB series II 2-10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flat Bass, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    Is anyone familiar with these? How are they? Is the high end to thin? Or is it bellish like a SWR or Eden?
    Would two of these cabs be enough volume for most gigs? Would a SWR SM-900 be enough to push these? How would 2 Acme compare to 2 Bag End S-15D cabs?

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    your answer is right here

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    This comes up a lot here, and a lot has been said already. Try a search, and then if that doesn't answer your questions, a number of us have had experience with Acmes and can possibly help.

4. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    I know there is a search on this site guys. I am asking my own questions about the cabs. If you can answer I appreciate that. If you do not have time to answer then why do you even have time to look. ;) :eek:

5. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I had a low bII. The tone was to die for. I mean it could handle a b string with no problem. The highs were sweet and airy. It just wasn't loud enough for my band and we are not a loud band. My advice would be to try them out. Andy gives you a 14 day trial period and you can send them back for full refund. That's what I did.

6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Well, because you might be asking a question that *hasn't* come up, you know? No offense, but most of your questions aren't new--they've already been asked and answered more than once, and sometimes folks just get tired of typing the same answers to the same questions.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't ask your questions, especially if you're new here and aren't as aware of what has and hasn't been discussed, but it *does* mean IMO that you shouldn't get too offended if someone who *knows* there's a lot of Acme info on this site responds to your questions by suggesting you do a search. When we say, "look here," or "do a search," we're not trying to blow you off, we're (1) directing you somewhere where you can get most if not all of the info you're asking for, and (2) saving ourselves from saying the same thing for the umpteenth time.

7. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    From my post last week on this topic...

My setup delivers 700 watts of power each to a pair of Acme 4 ohm B2's - and I wouldn't feel comfortable using any less wattage. So, you definitely need to shop for a powerful amplifier, and also need to consider how it will fit into your rack for convenient transport.

You may know that Acme speakers are designed to be extremely transparent. The benefit to their power inefficiency is that the enclosures can cleanly and effectively reproduce the fundamental 31 Hz frequency of a low B string (most non-boutique enclosures I've seen roll off at about 50 Hz). It's definitely a tradeoff to cart around a big power amplifier, but you're not going to find a more portable and light speaker that can compete with a 15" or an 18" sub.

It's important to remember a certain philosophy about Acme's - since they are so transparent and clear, you will hear precisely what your preamp, rack effects and bass sound like. While their lack of coloration may be distracting in certain environments, it is definitely a bonus for one simple reason - you can hear EXACTLY what is being sent out through a DI to a house mixing board. Once you get the hang of it, you'll really have tremendous control over the sound.

Of course, you're going to have to rethink your EQ setup, primarily in the mid-range. If you're into distorto punk rock with lots of weird overdrives and distortion, these probably aren't the ideal speakers for you. But if you're a funk/fusion/jazz/rock type of player, the accuracy of Acme's is pretty amazing.

As I mentioned above, I use a pair of 4 ohm Acme B2's. This configuration allows me to stack them vertically, horizontally or side-by-side based on the stage configuration and what kind of sound dispersion/throw that I'm after. This system is tremendously versatile and offers a number of setup options.

Feel free to ask me any questions. For your reference, my full system is outlined below:

-Furman PL-Plus Power Conditioner
    -Alembic F-1x Tube Preamp
    -Korg DTR-2 rackmount tuner
    -Behringer Ultra-Q 5 band parametric equalizer
    -Behringer Multi-compressor
    -Crown CE2000 stereo power amp
    -2xAcme B2's

Best of luck, and let me know how it goes.

Lonnybass

8. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    no, its actually quite full, smooth and sweet.

nope, not really bellish - more flat & smooth

sure, if you have the power. i'd suggest QSC or Stewart.

not to their potential.

different beasts altogether - with the BE's you hear mostly midrange, no real lows due to the small box & large speaker - but they're very efficient and can get way loud. the Acme's are smooth, flat & have a truer frequency response. ever played through studio monitors? like that, but smoother IMHO.

There, those are my answers to your questions. I looked at the post, so I guess I had time to answer. If you want more embellishment on either cab, I've owned them both.

you may want to tell us what style of music you're playing, or what kind of sound you're looking for.

9. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    I play Funk/Jazz/ a little rock. I play a 75 J bass. I am so tired of searching for a rig. Maybe I should get two acme lowB 2-10 cabs a nice power amp and and alembic F1-X. Thanks for answering my questions.

10. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    2 low B 2's, the F-1X & a QSC poweamp would be a SMOKIN, lighweight, good looking rig for funk/jazz. depending on the kind of funk you play, you might crave a little more fatness - and the Alembic preamp is a great choice in that it does the "clear/clean" thing real well but also can provide the booty AND mop up the mess.

might not have enough grunt for a loud rock band, but there's lots of people here on TB that use ACME cabs in rock bands and absolutely love them.

you can probably find all that gear used for a great price - then if you don't like it all you lose is shipping costs usually...

enjoy the search - don't let it wear you out.

11. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    I do like to get a good Jaco bite with my J bass. Is that possible with these cabs? I get it easily with my bag end cabs.

12. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    anything is possible with the ACME's provided you put enough power to them - but that big midrange honk isn't going to be quite as easy as with the BE's - see, they are pretty flat but roll off really early in the bass, so you hear mostly mids.

however, if you dial in your normal Jaco-ish sound, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how much better, smoother, and tastier the sound is through the ACME's, even without drastic EQ.

13. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    V,

Thanks for all the info bro. Do you think I should go with 2 of the regular 2-10 or one 2-10 and then the 2-10 sub model? Again I thank you for all your great input.

THanks,
    FB

14. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    I've found that the Alembic F-1x makes all my basses sound absolutely incredible through my Acme system.

Andy Lewis, designer of the Acme's, subscribes to this theory about his speakers - what you put in is exactly what you're gonna get out.

In the past year, I have yet to encounter a situation where my system wasn't loud enough. I wouldn't expect my pair of B2's to hold up under a wall of crunching guitars (don't forget that these are only 2x10's here), but if you're looking for crystal clear bass with clean punch, the Alembic F-1x/Acme combination is going to give it to you - immediately. I remember the first time I tried my newly assembled rig...couldn't wipe the stupid idiot grin off of my face!

Anyways, since the Acme's don't have a pronounced midrange "hump" and the flattest setting of the Alembic F-1x scoops the mids, I've had great success with the addition of a 5-band parametric equalizer in the effects loop. Boosting 500 hz for fretted and 850 hz for fretless has significantly improved my system's ability to cut through a loud mix.

Let me put it this way - my Acme's make the Alembic preamp sound like an incredible musical instrument in its own right.

I'd recommend getting a pair of matching B2's - from what I understand, the B2-W's are more suited for use with non-Acme speakers to reinforce the bottom end.

Just don't skimp on the wattage. You'll want about 700 on hand for each 4 ohm B2.

Feel free to let me know if you have questions.

Lonnybass