Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acme LowB2 with a Dingwall!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by martens-koop, Jan 4, 2004.

1. martens-koop

martens-koop

Oct 10, 2002
    Saskatoon
    well folks, its official! I'm in love with my new setup!!! I just completed my rig:

Stewart World 1.2
    Acme LowB2 Series II
    Cheap Ebay rocktron preamp
    Dingwall Voodoo 5 (still in production)

For those of you with Dingwalls, you HAVE to try them through an Acme!!! these things rock!!! I havn't got my own Dingwall yet (sold the old one) but I've tested my rig out a few times with Sheldon's shop-test-bass and it rocks!!! I can't wait till mine comes (pictures will be posted as they are available!)

these acme units are everything that any reviewer has claimed about them. they go LOW and they are incredibly transparent and articulate (which is AWESOME when you compare it to a bass that can take advantage of said qualities.) Until now, I have played on old tube amp junkers that I've picked up with the $150 price range and to my ears, my old relics just couldn't reproduce a fraction of what the bass could put out... now my bass has met its match!!!

I'm starting to think that the Stewart World 1.2 might have been a little bit of overkill on the power side of things... but I've got the 8 ohm version of the acme's, and I'm using only one channel on the stewart... so that would be about 600 watts for 4 ohms and around 300 watts for 8 ohms (i think) so I've got plenty to spare if I ever need to add more cabinets or run a mono PA with the other half of my stewart!!!

one thing on the loudness issue for Acme's: I've played my rig in church, and heard another player use it. we were up against a piano (Miked) a guitar player (through a 200 watt guitar amp) and a drummer (not miked) and it was plenty of volume!!! believe me, there was PLENTY left over! I am so happy I could scream!!! I had paranoid visions when I heard people saying they were quiet that I wouldn't be able to compete at all!!! but the blend was excellent and the tone superb!!!!!

seriously! for those of you with a Dingwall, get an Acme!!! for those of you with an Acme, get a Dingwall!!!!

ever, Jeff Martens-Koop
    KEEP MAKING NOISE!!!!

2. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Always groove.... Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    The transparent and articulate qualities make it a killer speaker for my Bass POD xt Pro. I keep the speaker modeling turned on and then the cab takes on the characteristics of an 18", a 15", etc. Not as good as actually having one of each cab there with you, but at 50 lbs, much easier on the transporation bill and your back.

I'm very happy with my Low B2 II. It's like Carvin prices with Eden/SWR or better quality.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i love my Acme's, too! whether my pair of B-1 1x10's, or my B-4 4x10, very little satisfies my Low B jones. than again, the transparency of the Acme's will make any bass worth its salt sound great.

btw, are you gonna upgrade from the Rocktron? if anything, a better preamp will GREATLY improve your tone. if you think the Rocktron sounds ok, wait until you try it with an Alembic, Demeter, etc. preamp!

so much so, i'm thinking of just using an Avalon U5 to act as a transparent bridge between my Sadowsky and upcoming Fodera basses and the Acme's.

4. martens-koop

martens-koop

Oct 10, 2002
    Saskatoon
    man! I'd love to upgrade my preamp! the problem is cash! I got this one (its a rocktron basix) for 45 dollars on ebay... -I put the bid in, figuring it was a reasonable amount to spend on a unit that has absolutely dissapeared from the internet!!! (I couldn't find ANY info on it anywhere on the internet...)

its not a good preamp, but it beats plugging the bass straight into the poweramp... I've been wondering though whether using a 1/3 octave eq might be another temporary solution...

I've looked at and salivated over the Eden wp100 preamp... I've also figured that just about any preamp (swr, ampeg svp etc) would be better...

jmk... bass pod... is that kind of like one of those berhinger v-amp units?

jmk

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    marty,

line 6 is known for their "modeling" technologies for using digital computer chips to mimic all sorts of amps, effects, even guitar sounds in little rack units or effects boxes. i cant seem to get the website up, but you can try www.line6.com

as for preamps, i'd just use the EQ you've got. what kind is it? hopefully, it'll be able to put out enough juice to properly amplify your signal for your power amp.

again, if you think the sound is ok, now, wait until you REALLY hear it properly. any preamp that has a very strong unique sound of its own, really shines with the natural response of the Acme cabs. my aguilar DB680 sounds gloriously hifi and deep, while my Kern IP777 sounds fudge brownie sweet.

6. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Trust me, you'll appreciate having all that power - if you run out of headroom ever, try bridging the amp and the Acme will love it! I've just gone from a Mackie M1400 to QSC PLX 3002 (mainly because the Mackie was soooo heavy) and it's incredible how loud a lone B2 will go with a 900W/ch amp behind it.

The Acme volume issue isn't that they don't go loud - they do, their specs are just far more honest than everyone else's - but that they're so clean and uncoloured that compared to all those gnarly cabs with big humps in the response they don't naturally help you cut through a thick noisy mix. However, if your bass and preamp produce the kind of sound that'll both sit in and cut through the mix DI'd (live or recorded) then your Acmes will let that character through. I've never had a problem being heard with mine.

Alex