Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acme mated with Eden

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mikeels, Aug 5, 2001.

1. Mikeels

Mikeels

Apr 20, 2000
    So.CA.
    And we got an Acmen.....or an Edme!

Hi guys!

I think I stumbled across a good matchup with my Acme cab. A freind of mine had a Goliath 2 that he let me borrow while I find a buyer for my Acme b2. I tried pairing them up and they didn't really sound good together. I used the goliath for a couple of rehearsals and finally found an Eden 410 xlt cab for sale. Just for giggles I paired the Eden up with the Acme and WOWEEE!!! I'm playing out tomorrow and taking this rig with me. If it sounds as good at the gig as here, I'm keeping the Acme! It didn't make sense to me as the Acme is a 4ohm cab and the Eden is a 8ohm, but I can leave the balance centered and it sounds nice. Lots of clean bottom and
    nice mids. If anybody has an Acme and your disapointed with the volume, try an Eden with it. You might like the marriage.

2. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Howdy!

How did she sound in the gig? I'm glad
    (hope) things worked out with the cabinet.

I actually saw a 2x10XLT with an Acme at
    a show recently and it sounded great.

It kinda makes sense to me that the two
    would balance out because the Acme is
    such a thirsty little pig that it needs the
    same amount of juice as an 8ohm 4x10 Eden
    to achieve a similar level of volume.

Yeee-hawwww

3. Mikeels

Mikeels

Apr 20, 2000
    So.CA.
    Hi Wally!

"Thirsty little pig!" LOL.....a good description of the Acme. Yeah it sounded great! I really am learning to like the Acme. I quess I should say I'm also learning to set the Eden up to run it. It seems to like a boost at 180hz. It just gets a lot louder and punchier. I was trying to run everything flat but it just doesn't work for me with the Acme cab.
    The Eden doesn't really need any help with tone....But when I ad the Acme I get this FAT sound..... Walls shaking, mirrors vibrating, lead guitarist feeling the bass through his shoes. You know what I mean. Kinda defeats the liteweight approach though.
    YeeHaaaaaw? You playin country now?................. Mike

4. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
    What amp are you using, and are you running it in mono or stereo?

5. BenF

BenF

Mar 29, 2001
    Boston area
    Yeah, I had the same thought. Mikeels, how are you powering the cabs (which head/what's the wattage)? I've often thought of getting an acme to pair with the goliath jr. I've got now...

6. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Yeah, I'd say your back is worse off w/ the
    Eden 4x10 and Acme than just lugging the
    Ampeg :-D

*BUT* at least you can just bring the Acme
    for small gigs. I think the Acme is AWESOME
    when doing coffee-shoppish "unplugged" stuff.

W

7. Mikeels

Mikeels

Apr 20, 2000
    So.CA.
    Hi Guys!
    I'm using an Eden wt 800 head one side only as the acme is a 4ohm cab and the Eden should only be bridged mono 8 ohms. I read somewhere about a guy who runs his wt 800 bridged into 4ohms:eek:
    Might be a good lite show at his next gig! I wonder what PBG would say and if its OK.........Mike

8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    For a fee, Andy Lewis will rewire the cab to 8 ohms. I think it's about $175, though. Actually, now that I think about it, I can't see how rewiring could accomplish this. He must be replacing the drivers. Hence the cost ...