ACME or AVATAR ?????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by afroman, Oct 10, 2002.

1. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've done all the searching and found both brands to have very good reviews. I'm jumping into the preamp-poweramp setup and I'm thinking on either buying the Acme Low B-2 (and later buying another one or a Low B-2W) or going with Avatar (2 210's or 210+115,they're prices and quality speakers are incredible!).

I'll buy a fairly powerful power amp, so don't worry about power. I want to know your opinion on which would be the best buy between these two cabs.

I want a very punchy and tight sound that can handle my 5-string. I'll use a SansAmp BDDI as a preamp, and I play rock, ska, latin rock, hard rock, reggae, you name it.

Thanks in advance...
  2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    If you're mostly going to be playing rock, I would recommend the Avatar 210+15 rig. An Acme rig would definitely have more flat low end extension, but it might not have the volume you need.
  3. Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    yeah, unless you are getting a 1,000 watt power amp

acme's do get loud if you have gobs of power to feed them; about 1000 watts for the 410 and 500 for the 210
  4. The point above is well made about the type of music being played.

The Eden XLT series is very successful because it is NOT a flat response cab like the Acme. The XLT has a very pronounced hump around 80 Hz (middle E), but it cuts through very effectively.

If you are playing dub style, or anything that requires a massive bottom end, the Acme is a better choice. The Delta 10 drivers used in the Avatar cabs have a resonant frequency of 66 Hz. No matter how you tune the cab, the response falls off markedly below the resonant frequency. The Avatar will be a WHOLE bunch louder than the Acme for the same input power.
  5. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm probably gonna buy a Crown or QSC amp which will put about 600watts or more per side at 4ohms. So I'll have the power to supply the Acmes or Avatars. With that in mind, which cab sounds better overall. I know it's a matter of taste, but if $ wasn't an issue (it is really) which one would you choose.

As I said, I like a very tight sound specially with mids that can cut trough a very loud drummer. Please give me your honest answers and reasons of why you chose that cab. What are the sounds that characterize each brand? (i.e. ones vey boomy and the others very mellow)

Any help is welcome,
  6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

there must be a zillion posts on these two cab makers. do a search!