Acme Owners: Help with alternatives

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oddio, Dec 12, 2004.

1. As you may know I'm a big proponent of the Acme speakers and currently use two or four Low-B2 cabinets. Our band schedule is starting to get quite busy and I'm finding myself in need of speakers that are a bit more efficient and project nicely. For me the real key will be retaining the smooth and even response of the Acmes and keeping the overall sound as similar as possible.

Right now I am looking at both Schroeder and Accugroove. I'm not certain which models to choose and would love suggestions from Acme owners who have been in a position to compare.

Although I am open to suggestions on other cabinet types, I'm not particularly interested in Eden, SWR, Ampeg etc. unless you've had first hand and prolonged experience with the Acmes.

Thanks in advance.
  2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm glad Joshua rang in before I mentioned Bergs. My suggestion would be to check out the new HT210s cabs that Jim just came out with. Two of those would be very loud, punchy (very helpfull on stage), and true to your sound. It would also be a great alternative to the 310 as mentioned. You'd end up with more volume and a lighter load in. Just make sure that you get the 8ohm versions.
  3. Thanks to both for the suggestion. I had originally considered Berg but had scratched them off the list at some point. I will definitely take another look.
  4. dont

Jul 25, 2004
    Try a Genz-Benz NeoX212 if you can find one. The street price is reasonable, and they have great tone, low end---handle a low B very well, and are seriously loud. For a 70 lb. cab and for the money, they are awesome.
  5. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I realize you like your Acmes and are looking for an alternative but Acme didnt work for me. I had a B4 and a B2. When I decided to try something else I went to Bergantino. Ive never looked back.
  6. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Have to agree, the bergantino HT210 will give you a pretty nice balanced sound that is refined without too much of anything sticking out of place.
    Good lows that support a B string effortlessly. Nice smooth hi-fi horn that is smooth and natural sounding. The hT115 performs just as well, just a little more traditional sounding compared to the HT210. Overall I think the Bergantino stuff is pretty natural and true sounding which you might appreciate as an ACME guy. good luck O' tone seeker.
  7. I'm certain there must be a Bergantino dealer within driving distance, so I have added these to my short list. Thanks again!

8. Club Bass in Toronto is probably nearest to you...
  9. slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    I don't (currently) own either, but if you look at the cab shootout that Scooperman and I posted a couple months ago, you'll find that the Schroeder 1210 had a quite different character than the Acme B2. The Schroeder has much more aggressive mids and immense amounts of mid-bass. The B2 has much smoother lows.

I tend to think that one of the current EA models with a little bit of EQ would get closer to your current sound than the Schroeder. I have a pair of CXL-112's currently. Their un-EQ'd sound is brighter with more up-front mids than the B2, but they are smoother (and, my impression was, deeper) than the Schroeder 1210, and with a slight boost of your amp's bass EQ (and/or a slight mid cut) you can get low end for days. In fact before I heard the B2 I thought the EA 112 had the smoothest and deepest low end of anything I'd ever heard. But I haven't heard Accugroove yet!

EA is more expensive than Acme, unfortunately.
  10. Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

Dec 8, 2004
    I've played a whole bunch of bergantino stuff and I can't stand it. The low end is nowhere near as clear as an acme. I've played the HT322, HT310, HT210, HT112, EX112, NV610, and NV215. The only one I liked was the NV215. But I like my Acme Low B4 way better than the NV215. The tweeters in the acme cabs are really good, the ones in the bergs are more harsh. I like a lot of 500 hz - 800 hz mids in my sound and it wasn't there with the bergs. Bergantino cabs are definately very colored in an eden sort of way. I would get accugroove. The only thing I'd get rid of my acme for is a whappo jr. or an acoustic 360.
  11. wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    I currently own a Low B-2 series II. Once I can afford and Accugroove (either a Whappo Jr. or Tri112) the Acme will go up for sale. I've directly A/B'ed them several times and the Accugroove stuff has much more detail and is more efficient.

As a less expensive alternative, I'd suggest looking at the new GK Neo cabinets. I tried them recently and was pleasantly surprised.
  12. I'll go forward with an open mind, but I'm currently leaning towards just biting the bullet and snagging an El Whappo or perhaps the Whappo Jr. To my delight there is now a dealer in Canada, so this has become a strong possibility.
  13. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Not that I've heard either but as a curious longterm Acme user the only cabs out there that really pique my interest are the EA NL210 and the various Accugroove cabs, most notably the Tri112L (probably what I'd get due to portability and lack of need for extreme volume), Tri210L (a pair of these would cover pretty much any gig, I think!) or Whappo Jr.

14. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
  15. Thank you for the links Alex. I actually did do a search and have followed those threads over the past while. There's plenty of good information there and it has helped me (along with comments from the others - thanks!) to narrow things down.

As it sits I am reasonably certain that I will decide between the Accugroove models. The only real downside to the El Whappo that I can see is the weight. The downside to the Whappo Jr. is that I might have to add a second Accugroove cabinet later on, but it will be easier on my back. Tough call.
  16. Decision made. I will have to wait several weeks, but I'm ordering a brand new El Whappo!!! It will be worth the wait.

Thanks to everyone for your help.
  17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, I guess my comments are now rendered unnecessary by your purchase, but I'll go ahead and shoot anyway (if nothing else, they should make you feel better about your purchase decision!).

I own a Series II Low B-2 (4 ohm), as well as three Accugroove cabs (Whappo, Jr., Tri 210L, Tri 110), two Bergantino's (HT112/EX112), and a bunch of EA (most models). Right off the bat, the brand that to my ears sounds the most like ACME is Accugroove, for sure. The Tri 210L sounds a lot like a louder version of the Low B-2, and I agree with wyliee that it also has a tad more detail. I find the Tri 210L to be the closest match overall to the ACME, but if I were to only use one cab, I prefer the Whappo, Jr. Your El Whappo should do all that you want it to and more! I really like the sound of the Jr. and The Tri 210L together. For a "mini Accugroove combo", the Tri 110 on top of the 210L is pretty darn good. The Tri 110 has the most "punch and cut" of any of the AG cabs I have tried (but less low end, of course).

While I would not say that Bergantino cabs sound a whole lot like ACME cabs, I could see where an ACME player would find the Bergie sound compelling. Then again, I could see it not fitting the bill just right. The same goes for Shroeder cabs (which I have heard, but do not own). A moot point, I suppose...

As for EA, in general, EA cabs are at the far end of the spectrum (for "uncolored" cabs) from ACME. EA's, in general, are more crystal clear and scalpel precise, whereas ACME's are more full & thick sounding, but perhaps less clear, overall. That said, the NL-210 is probably the most "ACME-like" sounding EA cab, IMHO (and a stunning cab, for sure).

Congrats on the purchase! You are going to love your El Whappo!

18. Tom,

Thanks very much for posting your insight. I had read a previous comparison that you wrote and was hoping you would chime in at some point. You've helped a great deal. The El Whappo seems to be the answer.

19. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Nice one! I look forward to hearing your reviews, especially how it stacks up against a pair of (or even four!) Low-B2s.

And if you ever need to cause an earthquake, you can plug them all in simultaneously! :D

20. We have the technology! I've probably cracked the foundation already with the Acme's so it's a good thing that I'm not living on a fault line.

I'll post a report when El Whappo arrives... probably just into the new year.