Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acme power requirements

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mgmadian, Feb 25, 2002.

1. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm in the market for a pair of Acme Low B2's, and am curious about y'all's (...2 apostrophes in 1 word?) experience about their power needs.

Andy at Acme says: they're rated at 350 watts, but anywhere from 400-500 watts is ideal, and anything over 500 watts is overkill. But...I've heard somebody mention that a QSC PLX-1602 (500 watts/chan into 4 ohms) didn't quite push his Acme cabs as loud as they reasonably could go, whereas the PLX-2402 (700 watts/chan) helped the cause.

For all you Acme owners, whta's your experience been with power (for the amp and cabs, that is...)? By any chance, has anyone compared both of those QLX amps with Acme cabs?

Thanks!
    Greg

2. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Here's the thing about Acmes, You can't clip your amp or you'll get the famous "Acme Fart"

So... I run my B-2 with 1100 watts. Not so it get's loud (although it will), I do it so I can get to where I want to be with out seeing the clip lights flash.

The cabinets are fast enough and accurate enough that any more that an occaisional half second clip will get heard...loud.

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Depends on your gig. My experience is that 400 W doesn't feel like quite enough to me with a B-2, whereas 600-700 W feels pretty good. I admit this is subjective.

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I used a QSC 2402 on my Acmes....at 700 watts for each cab, sounded great! You don't want to clip Acme cabs.....very nasty!!!

5. You might want to take a look at Euphonic Audio cabs. They're a little more expensive than Acme but they are WAY more efficient. The Acme B-2 has as sensitivity of 93db 1W/1M and the EA 1x10 and 1x12's sensitivities are 103db 2.83V/1M(equivalent to 1W/1M). That means that the EA 1x10 or 1x12 can match the B-2's maximum SPL (when it is driven with 350 watts) with only 35 watts. The specs for the bass response are also comparable.

6. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    We got any owners out there yet? Aren't these the new cabs just hitting the street? I would like to hear a first hand account of how they perform. MG, hope you don't mind this post here.:confused:

7. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have a pair of EA CxL-110 cabinets. I bought them because they were supposed to be more efficient than the older EA cabs or Acme or some others. I cannot compare them to Acme's, but they sure sound good and they are efficient. I can use them with my old Walter Woods head (200W into 4 ohms) and get enough sound for a small room. For a larger room, I my rack, and they take the power well.

8. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Hey Greg. Previous and possible future owner here.

My experince here, YMMV.

I ran up to four Acme Low B-2's, each rated at 4ohms with one Stewart PA-1000. In simplified terms, I was only averaging about 250 watts per cabinet when I ran all four. With this setup, I had little difficulty taking these speakers to their limits, with no amp clipping. Yes, they are less sensitive than some other cabinets, but the fat, studio monitor like sound (and the price) might be up your alley. I actually thought they sounded better for electronic drum monitoring and audio playback than for just bass guitar. I sold then for a dumb regrettable reason, not because of any lack of performance.

c-boy

9. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    My mistake. I was thinking of Accugroove. Where I live you can get Fender, Peavy, or Ampeg and I am I don't get out much.

10. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Mgmadian, unless you're dead set on a PLX, consider QSC's RMX 1850HD. It's 600 W/channel @ 4ohms, and only about $460 shipped (if you know who to ask)

11. And 44.5 pounds, bare.

12. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Yeah, I bought the RMX specifically to drive a pair of Low B-2s on a budget. It seems to do that nicely (haven't gigged with them yet) and the price was right. But it weighs a friggin' ton!

Get the PLX if your budget permits, or your back insists. For folks with roadies, or more muscle than bank account, the RMX is a fine choice.