Acme Speakers...How much power should you really have?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by camerondye, Feb 12, 2001.

1. camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    How much power should you buy if you are running the 210 cab...the 410 cab. Acme is now putting you need 500 watts to push the 210 cab rated at 350, but I hear even higher numbers occasionally. What is the opinion of Talkbass'rs who own Acme cabs. Also, how is your experience with the Acme cabs?
  2. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    I don't know how to address this even though I have a general idea. Lets start with a disclaimer…
    If you listen to me and anything bad happens… That’s what you get for following free advice.

I use the QSC PLX 1602 and have heard of people using as much as the 2402 with satisfaction. I think of these speakers as hifi rather than super loud or super abuse takes. If I was more into hard rock or punk stylings…I would be more into a traditional SVT technology with two 8x10 cabs. In my warranty info from ACME they said something about the cabinets not being for slapping. I do some slap but not constant and have little fear of wrecking them as acme about it. I also have limiters and crossovers and a splitband EQ to soften the blows so to speak. Lately I have been on a compressor kick BTW.

The PLX 1602 delivers 500 watts stereo at 4 ohms. I have also tried one cabnet in bridge mode at low volumes (my bedroom) and no fire has occurred, but I am crossing my fingers. This could be very risky especially higher levels so DON’T TRY IT!

A link (I am only a customer BTW)

Call Andy at ACME and tell him the amp you want and try and get some feedback from him… when I talked to him over a year ago, he recommended the EDEN WT-400…I think the WT-800 would be more like it. I think that perhaps he might be a little shy about making recommendations for ultra high power for a speaker manufacture, a naturally save position.

The Mackie 400 watt amp is not enough for two b2's from what I am hearing. I have heard several stories about other complaints about Mackie not doing bass very well no matter the cab. But there might be some happy owners out there with the Mackie stuff. Lord knows it depends a lot on what you are doing with it. It's all situational.

Once I played in a pole barn for a fall party and later let someone plug into my cabs with their head. They had an Ampeg SVT-4. The SVT-4 did not keep up very well and it was going into clip mode. Clip mode or "the red" is very bad for speakers…very bad! Light bulbs were going off inside my speakers so I made him try my head and things go better…louder too.

Lower powered are amps are as likely or more likely to damage the speakers if you are driving the amp to its limit because, you are sending DC voltages and square wave type harmonics at high levels to the drives. Do it a lot, and say bye bye drivers.

Loud is not really the forte (is that a pun?) of these speakers. They are made to go "full range" and be mighty portable. I am able to go pretty darn loud all the same. You would normally catch me playing honky-tonk, folk rock and rockabilly, but if Slayer and Kiss are your role models, by a van and get some roadies.

I am able to play rather loud, but not way too loud. I am very happy with this setup.

3. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I was considering the B4 powered by my SWR SM400S and when I called Andy to order it he said that the amp wouldn't be enough even at 4 ohms where it puts out 500 watts,so on his advice I went ahead and ordered the B2. BTW he recommended the SM900 for the B4. So I get the cab and the 1st gig I blew out the 12 volt light bulb that protects the HF drivers,and my master wasn't even 3/4 up. Hmmm.A second conversation with him I discovered he thought I had the SM400 which preceded the SM400S and doesn't have as much power @4 ohms. Since that 1st experience I've gotten good at dialing in the limiter on my amp for each of my basses and I haven't had to change that light bulb again,but I think my head would probably have been able to push the B4 pretty well had I gotten it.Someday I may get a 2nd B2,though, 'cause I really like the sound despite the relatively low SPLs compared to more colored cabs. I'd say the 4 ohm B2 (the one I have) or B4 would sound good with between 400 to 750 watts.
  4. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    People have said this before but, I like to stack my b2s virtical so the body and ears get have some wind rather than just the knees
  5. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    I tried my Acme low B2 with several heads which I have,
    It goes well with AMPEG SVT 2Pro , good for fretless.
    It goes well with EDEN Traveler 400 plus, it has power more than my SM 400 S [ now I usethis combination].
    It doesn't go well with SM 400S.
    Surprisingly it goes verywell with my Baby blue 140Watt,
    for acoustic bass {Taylor AB1 and Rob Allen MB4}, just don't crank the power, cause it will clip.and distort. just nice for studio jazz gigging.
    Hope this help.
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I had email with Andy about this just yesterday. Here is a verbatim quote:

"I normally recommend 400 watts or so. The Eden wt400 and the Ampeg SVT3pro
    are two big favorites.

It sounds like you're overdriving your amp. It also sounds like your
    expecting more out of the speaker than you're likely to get. I would expect a
    band like yours to get a little loud for the speaker at times.

I'd recommend trying a bigger amp, if you can borrow one, and see what
    difference you hear.

I think the people who talk about putting 1000 watts on a 2x10 are crazy. Any

BTW, my amp head is a 400 watt A.M.P. BH-420. I have to say I'm disappointed in the volume levels I can get out of it and am reconsidering whether it's the right cabinet for me.
  7. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Just to clarify a couple of things. My recommendations are really focusing on the ability to run TWO- 2x10 cabs and be heard over a 'reasonably' aggressive drummer and warm guitars.

If I were only playing jazz I would definitely consider the Claris amp. I have driven a single Acme 2x10 on as little 10 watts and liked the results.

The QSC PLX 1602with 500 watts per side in parallel or stereo mode, seems to me an excellent fit especially if you already own a preamp. IMHO you get a lot of bang for your buck with this amp compared to other options. When I hooked up the more watts to my cabinet, as Brian says, 'it was crazy'. This experiment was in the realm of mad science under well-controlled circumstances. The capacity of the amp AND the signal provided by the player, instrument, effects and preamp all factor in to what a given cabinet can handle. For me it happened to work well. But don’t try this at home kids!

Like I stated in an earlier post if you are going for super loud and crunchy you may want to look elsewhere for your cabinets.

8. mr t

mr t

Aug 24, 2000
    manhattan, ks
    i've had my b2 for about 3.5 years and think it's the best around if you want to hear *your* bass. ths speakers do require a bit of power, but i run an sm400 (400w into 4 ohms) through the cab and it just sounds great (i think some people go a bit extreme on the wattage thing). rocknjoc(however it's spelled), the manual i have says nothing about the cabinet not being able to handle slapping. it does warn against boosting frequencies below 35 Hz and then giving the strings an open-palm whack. however, this would probably destroy most speakers over time. honestly, after playing lots of high-$ cabinets, i could still only recommend the b2 as the best 2x10 out there.
  9. j.s.basuki

May 14, 2000
    Low B2 need at least 400 Watts to be comfortable
    with. The best in my experience is using Eden WT 400 because it has the kick to drive. I am not so happy with SM400s, she is really suitable for Goliath 4x10.
    I found that this combination also extreemely good for acoustic guitar[ I tried with Sadowsky nylon and Godin Multiac nylon], it blows away my California Blonde at any time, sound quality, so clear , no harshness and fat and it is a three way speaker .
  10. red_rhino

red_rhino Gold Supporting Member

I also use the PLX-1602 to drive one or two Acme
    Low B-2 4 ohm cabs. Getting loud can be a bit of
    a challenge with one, but with two it's great.
    (Driving one cab per channel.)

As for Acme not being good for slapping, I believe
    that is incorrect. I believe the caution states
    that you should not "pound" on the strings, as
    this results in heavy DC current being applied
    directly to the voice coil. (I'm going from
    memory here, but I'm pretty sure that's accurate.)
    I slap all the time with no problems.

11. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    In my experience, the SVT3 pro is NOT
    enough to drive the Acme Low B-2 @ 4 ohms.

Doesn't cut through the mix. Got
    more volume from an 8 ohm 1x15 Bag End.
    Can run 2 Bag Ends with SVT3 well.
  12. j.s.basuki

May 14, 2000
    Acme is good for slapping,popping sound finer than others, perhaps because of the tweeter they choose. If you want a more pronounced pop, horn tweeter is the choice