Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ACME - time for something new?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tubster, Oct 22, 2005.

1. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    I know it takes a long time to develop a new (good) product but I just wonder if ACME is missing the boat and losing a lot of sales due to all cabs being offered with 10" drivers?

We are a fickle crowd - 10's, 12's, 15's all have their 15 minutes of glory? Is ACME missing out or sticking to the true path?

(BTW - eyes glaze over at mention of ACMESWITCH!)

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    why mess with a good thing? ;)

besides, after having gone the 12", 15", whatever " route, i still come back to the good ol' pair or quad o' 10" speakers.

3. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i have had a new revelation with 8 inch drivers

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I think the 2x15 cabinet has had (and is continuing to enjoy) a few more than 15 minutes of glory!!!

5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Uh, that would be "...sticking to the true path"...

MM

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Perhaps 10 in. drivers have a good balance between low Fs, Vas, efficiency, power handling, cost, good upper midrange response and size to allow them to be used in groups of two, three, four, six or eight in reasonable sized enclosures.

Besides, a pair of 10s has roughly the same cone area as a single 15 so a 4x10 is, in a way, the next generation 2x15.