Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acme users - do you turn the attenuators down from flat (i.e. 0dB)?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alexclaber, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Never

9 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Rarely

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Sometimes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Usually

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Always

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Just curious - see the poll!

Alex

P.S. And if you're a regular attenuatorer, could you post a reply specifying what you set the mid and high at?

2. I never turn down the knobs on my ACMEs, in fact, my routine is to verify that they are on full every time I plug the speaker cables in.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I was going to vote "never", but I have tweaked the attenuators a time or two when I had new strings, or if I have to deal with some high frequency reflections (playing near a window, for instance). But those instances are far and few between, so mostly, I leave them cranked (though I appreciate having them).

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing one more mid and one more tweeters (with attenuators, of course), if Andy were to ever do an updated version.

Tom.

4. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Hi Alex-

Same as Tom, when gigging I normally leave them both of them all the way up except for when I have new strings on or the stage treble is "extra crispy." In practice or quieter situations, I sometimes turn them down a bit just to eliminate hiss or other noise in the setup.

Lonnybass

5. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I never have the tweeter on more than half-way up. With new strings, all the way off. My SWR has some "sizzly" highs, so there is still plenty of treble even running the eq on my amp flat.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    full on,

but for PA work, i'll lower the midrange driver until the apparent honkiness goes away. and then the tweeter until the harsh sizzly siblence is smoothed out.

7. I always kept mine full on. Interesting point that Tom Bowlus made. I always found the 110 model to sound great, but the 210 and especially the 410 to be quite mid and treble shy. Why would you have the same mid and treble driver in the 110 vs. the 410? I'm sure there's a reason, but it just didn't sound right to me. Of course, other cab makers put the same crossover and tweeter in their small and large cabs, but I find that I run, for example, the tweeter at 9 o'clock on a 1-12 and 11 o'clock on a 410... so it's basically the same relative to the full range drivers, and there's plenty of room for adjustment

I found the 110 to sound perfect with the mid and tweet all the way up... but there was no where to go with the 210 much less the 410.

Great speakers... not knocking them, but more of a question... seems that the 210 could be perfect with one more mid and tweeter. Just curious...

8. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I've wondered about this for a while and finally emailed Andy to ask him. Basically, depending on the number and impedance of speakers in the cab, the tweeter and midrange are padded so the response remains flat; so on a B1 the mid/high units are attenuated by about 6dB more when the attenuators are at 0dB, than on a B4.

Apparently the mid/high units can put out more SPL than even the four woofers in the B4 but if you're someone that needs a midrange heavy sound to cut through a loud rock band, then that may not be as high an SPL as you'd get from a conventional 2-way cab where all the mids come from the woofers. Of course a 2-way cab will not put out as high an SPL in the low frequencies, so it really comes down to the sound you're after and how loud you need to play.

Alex

9. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    What are your approximate settings for this?

Alex

10. Makes sense. Thanks for the info.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    honestly,

i wouldnt change a thing about Andy's cabs. sure on paper, they dont seem to make sense. but my cabs do exactly what i want of them, and sound terrific doing so. and yes, i own the whole line. :)

oh, and KJ, i still love my Epi's, too. ;)

alex,

i'm more referring to my B-1 pair. depending on the room, i start with andy suggestions, i.e. -2 (highs) and -5 (mids) setting. with EQ's flat, compressors off, etc., i tune the B-1's the to the room, and go from there.

btw, these happen to be at an artist's house for rehearsal. using them for her keyboard and vox, and in that particular room, kept the highs full up, and now at about -4 (mids).

all in all, they sound terrific. the hammond settings sound especially amazing!