Acme users! - How many watts RMS per 10" speaker do you use?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alexclaber, Jun 18, 2003.

1. <100W

2 vote(s)
  2. 100-200W

9 vote(s)
  3. 200-300W

8 vote(s)
  4. 300-400W

10 vote(s)
  5. 400-500W

6 vote(s)
  6. >500W

10 vote(s)
  1. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Just like it says in the title: so if you drive a 4 ohm Low-B2 with an amp rated at 500W RMS (@0.5% distortion) @ 4 ohms, you have 250W/10" speaker. Vote away!

Also any comments on the situations you find you rig suits and also ones where you've not had enough volume. I'm curious to see what the maximum acoustic power of an Acme speaker is, and also if the number of mid/high drivers makes a difference.

So you know where I'm coming from, I've been using a pair of Low-B2II cabs for a few years now, powered with a Mackie M1400 which put 425W RMS into each cab at low distortion. (i.e. not the fake amount of 500W RMS which is at a higher distorion level). I've sold the Mackie because it's too damn heavy for me, and I'm looking to replace it with something like a QSC PLX and am wondering how much power to go for.
  2. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    when i had my B2, i was pushing at least a good 650 into it, without breaking a sweat. and daggit, did it sound killer!
  3. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    When I had my B2 I talked to Andy and he said that 500 watts is ideal. And yes it did indeed sound killer.
  4. I'm using a Peavey DPC1400X (1400 watts @ 4ohms) with a 4 ohm Low B-4 II and it sounds phenominal! If you're looking into a replacement amp I would check out the Peavey. 1400 watts, one rack space, 13 lbs. If you can't get past the name-sake, check out Stewart (they use the same technology).

Back to your original idea; I suppose (roughly) I'm running something like 350 watts to each speaker. I have not yet run into a situation where volume was a problem. Up against a loud drummer in an out-door setting our band was at 95db @ 30''. What surprised me was that the bass didn't "break up" or get "mushy" that far out from the stage area.

Andy doesn't get his cabinet back!
  5. Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Hi guys,

I'm sending roughly 700W per channel from my Crown into a pair of B2s and it sounds just ridiculously awesome. And I just LOVE how my speakers love to shoot out cystal clear sub-E notes like cannon fire. :)

6. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Man I wish I could put some watts into mine. I play in an acoustic band and I'm lucky if I push 25 watts into it and I have a 800 watt EA iAMP.
    The Acme cab still sounds great even at low wattage.
  7. OneDrop

Jun 17, 2003
    i was on a budget amp setup when i had my b2 and ran a hartke ha4000 w/ 400watts through it and it sure made that amp sound good!
  8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I had real good results with my QSC2402 putting 700 watts per cab into my B2's:cool:
  9. I'm pushing two Low B-IIs with the EBS Fafner. The amp is only rated at 640 watts RMS into the 2-Ohm load, but this rating seems extremely conservative... so much so that I can't see needing more power.
  10. jburtonca

Nov 25, 2000
    Ottawa, Canada
    I'm using a Stewart World 1.2 (1,200 watts at 4ohms) into one 4ohm Acme B-2, but I never go above 12 o'clock on the Stewart. Acme cabinets sound amazing!

11. I'm using a QSC 2402 (700 wps) to drive my 2 Low BIIs. I've never had a problem with not enough power and I love the tone!

12. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Another happy PLX 2402 user here.
  13. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
  14. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    About 125 watts per 10", when I was powering 4, yes 4, 4 ohm Low B-2's with one Stewart PA-1000. Over the years of the occasional Acme power discussion, I discovered I am in the minority concerning this issue. I was able to take these speakers to thier limit with nary a clip light a blinkin'. YMMV.
  15. j_sun23

Feb 24, 2003
    Baton Rouge LA
    I second that emotion on the plx2402

or third...

I use one channel of the plx (700w@4ohms) and it has never clipped (duh), so the headroom is there. I think I could do some damage if I tried to push it too far though. I mean, you can't overcome physics, it's still just a 2x10. An exceptional 2x10, but a 2x10 nonetheless.

I use the b2 by itself as a super portable rig when I want to jam with normal people, and I augment it with an SWR big ben 18 for my big setup so I can keep up with my moron drummer.

I'd say go for headroom and just be careful/smart with volume AND eq settings.
  16. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Usually 800W into each of two LowB2s with a PLX 1602 bridged, and with volume at about 2 o'clock.

But one 8ohm cab per channel is still pretty loud.
  17. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    ya know,

i noticed alot of people keep the volume on the power amp down, while running thru the Acme's.

but i've found that there is a big perceptible diff in tone and Low B handling, if i run the power amp wide open, at max volume, and use my preamp's master to control the overall volume. the Low B is mucho more authorative and the tone just fills in better.

the more wattage, the more "Acme" you get. ;)
  18. j_sun23

Feb 24, 2003
    Baton Rouge LA
    I also keep my amp set at max and adjust volume with the preamp.

I would like to remind people who don't seem to know that the sensitivity/volume control on a power amp does NOT control how much wattage it puts out. A 500 watt amp can be cranked to 11, but if the signal you're feeding it is low, it won't necessarily be putting out 500 watts. Conversely, even if you have said 500 watt amp set on 2, if you hit it with a hot enough and loud enough signal from the preamp, it will still put out it's rated power, etc. etc.

the moral of the story is, you're boutiqe 2x10 you love so much is not protected from that 2000 watt amp just by setting it on 2. If you try to make the 2x10 put out too much volume, it WILL feel the effects of that monster amp, and so will you're wallet.

For those of you who've figured this out already, just ignore this post.
  19. I'm running a Peavey DPC 1400X bridged mono into and Acme low B-4 (4ohm). I was recently chastised for running my amp full on and using my pre-amp for volume (I'd started another post about my DPC running "warm"). I tried running the amp at lower settings but was unhappy with the amount of gain/volume I was using on the pre. As joker pointed out as well, the notes seem less "authoritative" too. Now I don't have that problem, my gain levels are modest, but I'm getting a warm amp. Anybody know why a DPC would be getting warm? Post a response in this thread-

BTW, thanks for the input on the port's thing joker. I knew that already but ti's still good info. The fan is working properly as well.
  20. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I've always used my poweramps flat out, and adjusted my gain at the pre. My old QSC poweramps that I've had since the 80's have the volume in the back.