Acme vs Accugroove vs Schroeder vs SWR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by simpy1, Mar 13, 2006.

1. simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Hi everyone,

I just found out that this guy at supplies these three brands to Australasia! Well I'm still looking at a replacement for my Ashdown MAG 115, wanting to head in a much, much punchier direction. I was considering another SWR Goliath Jr., but then saw these products.

The two that appeal the most are the Schroeder Mini 12+ and the Acme Low B-2. But also for more $$$ is the Accugroove Tri 112L or 110L. Anyone have any suggestions?

FYI my head is a Trace Elliot AH350, and the site recommends 500 watts for the Acme - but it looks so NICE! And for about half the price of a Goliath, and similar price to a Goliath Jr....hmmm. I would however be buying without ever hearing one.....
  2. I would stay away from the Goliath Jr. at all cost. The full Goliath is a fine cab, but the Jr. is probably one of the weakest 210's I've ever played... rolls off very high, and is very easy to 'fart' out.

The Schroeder's and Accugrooves are fine small cabs, with the Schroeders being louder and a little more mid punchy for their size, and the AG's being a little more polite and 'rounded'... with a more natural treble response. I would not want to have to do a loud gig with a single AGTri112... but a single Schroeder 1210 or 1212 would handle almost any gig. The Mini would be more similar to the Tri112 in volume, with less low end extension and a crisper treble if you ordered the tweeter version (Mini+).

The Acme's are fine cabs, and define what most TBers call 'flat'... a lot of low end extension and somewhat polite upper mids and treble. They take A LOT of power to get loud.. probably twice the power of the Schroeder or AG, but you get a lot of low end in return. I don't think your Trace would match up very well (i.e., pump enough watts into the Acme to do a moderate sized gig), even with the 4ohm Acme version IMO.

Except for the Goliath Jr., everything you are considering is great in their own way IMO.
  3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006

I agree 100%. I have owned this cab, and it is very weak. It sound crisp and full at low volumes, but as soon as you turn that volume up, it farts out on you.

4. +1... it was very frustrating. I used a GoliathIII for many years and just loved it... punchy and crisp at the same time. I thought.. cool... for my smaller gigs, I'll get the Goliath Jr. III and have the same thing in a smaller package.... WRONG!!!!:rollno:
  5. simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    I already have one Goliath Jr. though, and although you guys don't like it I think it's great! I agree though about the volume thing, it isn't too good at really loud volumes, but wherever we play we can get a PA system.

I think the Schroeders seem like the best option (cost/size etc). My gripe now is that the 1210 seems to only come in 4 ohms!!! I want to pair it with the SWR. I guess I'll either have to get the 1212 or the Mini 12+. Alternatively I could ditch the SWR for the 1210 @ 4 ohm. So many choices!
  6. Cool if the GJr. is working for you... it does sound good at very low volumes.

The 1210 now comes in 8ohms, and the Mini+ has been redesigned with a front mounted vs. baffle mounted 12 (from what I read on the Schroeder thread)... so that would be an option also.

If your GJr. is enough volume, then you are good to go. However, if you like the GJr sound but want more ooomph, the 1210 4ohm with the 'selenium' tweeter (which is sizzly like the SWR tweet) would be a wonderful thing and would match up beautifully with your Trace IMO.

Good luck.