Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FunkySpoo, Feb 6, 2002.

1. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Anybody have an acme low-b2? If so how do you like it? How much power are you using with it? Any info would be really helpful. Thanks

Dec 29, 2001
    Warsaw, New York
    I've had two Acme B-2's (4 ohm) for six weeks now, fed by a Kern preamp, an Ashly compressor, and a Crown K2 amp (800 watts/channel @ 4 ohms).

The sound is heavenly.
  3. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    I have 2 lowB210s. I run them with a Crown power tech 3 - 760 watts / side into 4 ohms. They sound great! I usually roll off the lows a little they have so much bottom end, and EQ in some low mids.
  4. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I just got this week a pair of 4 ohm Low B-2s. I'm driving them with a QSC RMX 1850HD, at 600 watts a side into 4 ohms.

I don't have much time on them, but I can tell you they go plenty deep! Whether they go plenty loud I'll figure out later.
  5. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Thanks for the replies. You guys are running some pretty high wattage through those 2x10's. Is my sm500 bridged at 8ohms going to be enough?

Well the phone just rang and it was Andy from acme calling to let me know my cab was shipped out monday. I just asked about amp wattage. He recomended an sm500 bridged mono at 8ohms. Should be here soon. When I get it I'll post my thoughts on it
  6. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I run mine with a Crown ce1000 briged at 4 ohms for 1100W. It'll fill a 125 seat bar as long as you're not bangin' heads and tossing hair.

I don't think I would want to run it on 500w though....depends on what your playing.
  7. I have 2 Low B-2s (4 ohm). I use a Kern preamp and QSC 2402 amp (700 wps into 4 ohm). I love the tone and bottom on those speakers.

8. abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I have a B-2 (8ohm in case I wanted a second one) and a B-1 for upright (I love the B-1). I run a
    Walter Woods Ultra high head into the B2 (1200watts into 4ohm, something like 750-800 at 8 ohms). The B-2 is plenty deep but doesn't exactly cut through.
    I like it as a stand-alone cab for low volume gigs and it is a great second cabinet paired with my Euphonic Audio VL210, but I'm not crazy about it as a stand-alone for Top 40, weddings, r&b, rock. The Vl210 works much better in those venues and the reason, IMHO, is that the EA cuts through better than the Acme and the lows are tighter. The Acme is very warm, extremely portable and I like it on lower volume gigs by itself. Otherwise the EA gets the call for louder stuff and I bring along the Acme to stack on top of the EA. They do sound huge together.
    P.S. keep in mind that I'm running my basses through a WW. Some guys with a rack system could be getting a sound with more cut and power.
  9. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    My sentiments exactly! I used my two low B2's at a loud jam (keyboard player and 2 guitarists with Boogie combos) the other night and I was amazed (though not surprised) at the trouble I had cutting through (using my Crown Power Tech 3 - 760 watts / side into 4 ohms). A week later - in the same situation substituting my Wayne Jones cabs - NO problem. (This characteristic of Acme cabs, along with their need for power, has been thoroughly discussed in past threads). But the Acme tone at low volume is just pure class - I prefer it to the Eden under these circumstances. I also have an EA VL-210 in our rehearsal room (the room is bass-boomy) and it does a great job of avoiding clutter due to its tight bass response.