1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acousic Image TEN2 - custom cab

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by danstans, Jun 24, 2014.

1. danstans

danstans

Mar 31, 2014
    Hi All,

Seeking advice. I bought an Acoustic Image Ten2 primarily for my DB but also with EB for smaller gigs. My experience has been hit and miss. Some spaces, it sounds amazing, full of volume and tone and others, it sounds wooly. The main problem I find is at higher volumes, the cab rattles. Even when lifted.

After a gig on the weekend, I lifted the cab and the bottom speaker fell right off. I have yet to contact Acoustic Image but am not sure what they can do considering I might just be outside of warranty and also I live in Australia. I was thinking of taking the speakers out of the damaged plastic cab and making my own 2 x 10 wooden cab. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to go about this?

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Your best bet is to contact Rick Jones at Acoustic Image. They have a stellar reputation for customer service on their products even when they are well beyond their warranty.

Ric

cdavisshannon and Mark Gollihur like this.
  3. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

Rick Jones will get you set. Give him a call. Best customer service I've ever experienced.

4. The rattle will be taken care of by securing the speaker. The tone problem (I'm sure I'll get some strong disagreement here from AI enthusiasts): this problem you are having is, in my experience, common with Acoustic Image combos. They are VERY dependent on the room, and will sound great in some settings, and either very boomy or nasal midrangey in other settings. I don't think you will get around that. Best to have a back up rig for those kinds of rooms.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  5. Best customer service ever.

6. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    tone on these is hit or miss for me as well, use a preamp pedal in front of it. i use the tone hammer or radial pz pre. solves the problem. also, if you have the one with the 3 band eq, turn that mid range down, its very annoying.

7. danstans

danstans

Mar 31, 2014
    Thanks everyone, Rick has got in touch with me. The rattle may have been from the base of the cab being damaged in transit to me from the start. Will see if a new cab sorts that out. Have ordered a F-Deck HPF preamp as well. Will see if that helps things too.

8. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    i would think that the fdeck would be redundant with that amp. it already has a hpf and high input impedance. i would go with something that could help your eq situation

neddyrow likes this.
  9. danstans

danstans

Mar 31, 2014
    Shows how non-techy I am. Okay, I'll start looking for some EQs. any suggestions? How does the Fisherman Bass pre-amp rate?

10. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    well, the fisherman preamp also has the high input impedance and hpf, so now you will be tripling up on those features. sometimes i use this exact setup, fdeck > tone hammer pedal > AI ten2. the tone hammer will warm up the sometimes harsh tone of the AI. or, you could just put an EQ pedal in the effects loop. should work well also.

danstans likes this.
  11. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    With all versions of the AI cabs you have to make sure that the grill on the bottom isn't pushed in towards the speaker. This can happen if you put the cab on top of something and it contacts the bottom grill and pushes it in, this will affect the sound of the cab at high volume levels because the driver then makes contact with the grill impeding it's full range of movement.

danstans likes this.
  12. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Depending on the room, I'll use the Fdeck to cut the lows before my signal hits the preamp. I can then run the preamp hotter with a more "open, airy" tone and the mids come through nicely.

danstans likes this.
  13. danstans

danstans

Mar 31, 2014
    Thanks again everyone for the help. Rick from AI contacted me directly and is sending out a replacement cab all the way here to Australia! Extremely good customer service.

14. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

Rick should really be recognized for setting the bar so high, don't you think? A knighthood? Sainthood? Maybe we should just buy his products graciously and thank him by spreading the word?

pmad_bass and Mark Gollihur like this.
  15. pmad_bass

pmad_bass Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Having recently played thru a 2Ten (i.e. yesterday) I am really impressed and intrested in getting one. To reveal my ignorance, what is it that make your TEN2 custom? i.e. options etc

16. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    There aren't any "options" to add to the Ten2, other than to add the "cabrio" docking system to the top of a Ten2EX (passive speaker cabinet) which allows you to "dock" a series 3 or 4 Acoustic Image Clarus head into the cabinet (effectively making it a combo amp).

pmad_bass likes this.
  17. Mouldy

Mouldy

Feb 27, 2010
    Western Australia
    Hi Danstans. I just saw your post from 2 years back and just wondered if you are still using the ten2 or if you ever made another cab with those speakers. I have a ten2, not too thrilled at louder volumes and I'm curious about building a 2x10 standard cab with those drivers. Cheers.