Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acousound speakers.....you won't believe this!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by emjazz, Apr 16, 2005.

1. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Take a look at this site. This place is very close to where I live and it turns out my friend knows the guy who developed the speakers. We're going to check them out for curiousity's sake. These things look like they could reek Godzilla like havok! :eek: :D

2. Joe Martin

Joe Martin

Mar 23, 2005
    Frederick, MD
    link please? I can't seem to find it.

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
  4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    "Our factory direct pricing for single units is $995 for the 18" and $945 for the 15"."

I'll pass, thank you.

Ray

5. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Not as pricy as a Meyer cabinet... ;)

6. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...hmmmm...

~S~

7. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    Also missing a few things that the Meyer cabinet has such as a cabinet,electronics,and a poweramp!

8. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...very true...

~S~

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Step 1: Win the lottery.
    Step 2: Buy speakers.
    Step 3: Find someone who can build cabinets tuned to these ridiculous things.
    Step 4: Buy a big rack of amps that aren't underpowered for these.
    Step 5: Hire someone to carry all this gear.
    Step 6: Book my band into places big enough to use these...that doesn't have a PA system.

10. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Oh... I figured for that much dough, they'd include a cabinet. I didn't click on the link.

You could always just throw it into that empty Peavey bin you have had laying around for the last twenty years. I'm sure it would sound alright. If you want to go more for that Meyer all in one powered package, maybe a Carvin combo and replace the 15" driver... :ninja: :D

11. Tee hee hee... :bag:

12. Who wants to try and blow one of them out, i recon it could take out a small town if you did, sounds like fun

13. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Or just any power section at full clipping constantly, since that blows speakers easier than sheer power ;).

Ray

14. This is a bit of a misconception.....

You'd still need a pretty big power amplifier to risk thermally damaging those (no matter how hard you clipped it), if they are indeed capable of handling that much power. ;)

I'd like to get my hands on them and run some tests to see how they actually perform.... :D

Interesting.

15. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
  16. Sidecar666

Sidecar666

Mar 27, 2004
    Those speakers seem neat, but if they have so many rules and special needs for the speaker enclosures....why doesn'tt the company make the boxes that go along with the speakers?!?!? I mean, it only seems logical that if a speakers needs a specially built enclosure...the company would make (or at least suggest) some kind of box to go with it!

17. I don't think these guys have electric bass specifically in mind. Rather their market is pro audio custom sound installations. Sounds like going to the movies or a concert is going to ratchet up a notch bass wise.

18. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Yep.

I've been in contact with "Carlos" & got very fast responses from him about his product. The biggest negative is building/aquiring a cab that's worthy & the db's are in the 88-90 range, not very efficient for bass guitar. Though they seem very well built & perform better than average, the price & application basically make them an unwise choice for a drop in replacement of current bass guitar cabs.

~S~

19. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    No T/S parameters? If I had the need (and money) for extremely high level low frequency I would rather go with something whose response I can predict, perhaps an array of Shivas (see adire audio link above).

20. Ruin my fun :(