1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Acousti Image SL-2. Why not phase switch?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Fran Diaz, Apr 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Checking out the new AI SL2 I noticed that it lacks the phase reverse switch. I find this very helpful on my Clarus and wondered why. Anybody knows why?

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I’d contact Rick Jones at Acoustic Image and ask him. :) :D :laugh:

3. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Could just be a “real estate issue”
    Walter Woods took the “phase reverse
    switch” of his later Electroacousic series I can’t say that a I missed it. He just ran out of room when he re-configured the pre amp.

Ric

4. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Neither the Clarius SL or the SL-R have phase switches. Apparentely AI
    eliminated them on the new models.

5. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    It's a pity because I find it to be a key element on getting a good amplified sound on stage.
    I've just sent an email to AI.

6. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    My new SL has "ground lift." I assume that is different from "phase reverse?"

7. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Yes. ground lift is for the DI out, to avoid noise in certain occasions.

Ric Vice likes this.
  8. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Other than their compact size and weight, your Claris 4+ has more features than the SL2, with only a
    modest power increase. All the SL2
    jacks are different as well. Both amps are amazing and Acoustic Image’s customer service is renoun.

MDrost1 likes this.
  9. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    From the man himself: "I’m afraid it was a real estate problem. No room for the switches. You’ll notice that we also had to give up the effects loops due to lack of panel space.

The workaround for the lack of a phase switch could be to use a phase reverse in-line adapter like this one: Whirlwind Phase Reverse.

Rick"

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    My Series III Coda and Contra have no phase (actually polarity) switches.

While I suppose there might be some cases where inverting the polarity would actually fatten the tone, in my experience with outboard preamps it usually made the tone thinner but helped with feedback. Since the AIs have HPFs that do a much better job of feedback control, I don't miss a switch.

If I was running both a mike and a pickup then I might find a switch useful.

11. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Yeah. That's my case. I try to get a good tone only with the mic but I often mix it with the pickup (sp. louder gigs)

Randy Ward likes this.
  12. I like to have a phase switch. But I always use the "in" phase setting (where the amps output is in phase with the acoustic sound of my bass, giving the loudest/fattest sound). So the phase switch to me is mainly to make sure that something in my signal chain is not out of phase. Years ago I used to have two loudspeaker cables, one correct, and one with opposite polarity, for the same purpose: to make sure which polarity (phase) worked best for the different pickups, etc I was using.

13. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    It looks great, but how do you make it work using 1/4 in cable jacks?

Ric Vice likes this.
  14. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Glad to know about this. I was considering selling my Clarus Series 4+ but maybe I’ll hang onto it. When I was combining the Realist Lifeline with an Underwood the phase switch really helped to fatten up the sounds

15. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    That's exactly my situation.

16. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I wondered about that as well. Do you have to get an adaptor for the adaptor. That would be a kinda weird. The Ehrlund
    Preamp works great with any pickup and has a phase reverse, so does the Headway and FDeck. ;)

Groove Doctor and BobKay like this.
  17. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    You could perhaps get a very small, inexpensive Fdeck pre that has a phase switch and HPF.

Ric Vice likes this.