Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic 106 spkr replacement-what to expect?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by watspan, Aug 13, 2005.

1. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I am the original owner of a 140/106 (2x15)and the speakers in the 106 are original--they are not blown, torn, loose dust caps or anything. What do I gain by replacing the speakers with brand new speakers? Will fresh speakers sound better/different than 30 year old speakers? The current tone I would describe as a little "brittle" or "honking"--would new speakers help give a "smoother" or more "rounded" sound? (sorry I'm struggling for descriptive terms!) I also read a previous thread on replacing speakers in a 406 cab and apparently the original equipment was eminence ( I thought CTS?) I guess the inverese of my question applies also--should I keep a 30 y.o. amp original--as long as everything works fine?

2. Well, if the cabinets are ported you should either stick with the originals or have new drivers with exactly the same thiele-small parameters. Otherwise anything can happen, but most of the times it will sound very bad. What drivers are in the cabinet?

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Even the best drivers of 30 years ago don't work as well as modern drivers, so I'd swap them out. You will have to reverse engineer the cabinet using a box program such as WinISD (freeware at linearteam) to determine what replacement driver T/S specs are required.

4. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    The cab is dual-ported. I don't know the actual model #'s as I have yet to remove them. I guess my main question is, if replaced with the propoer drivers, should I expect better tone as described in the original post?

5. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Thanks for the replies. I can't download the software due to having an older Mac! Here is a picture of the cab:
    http://acoustic.homeunix.net/twiki/bin/view/Acoustic/BassCabinet106

the o.d. of the cab is 36"x 30 x 15, w/ 2 4"diameter ports. The i.d. of the speaker box is more around 34 x28 x 12.

Any suggestions on suitable replacements?

6. Looks like JBL's... but i am no expert.

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    What are the dimensions of the cab? We need to work out the internal volume to work out which speakers might work in the space provided.

Also, what's the diameter of each port? And how thick is that timber on the front baffle (believe it or not, this is the effective length of the port). We also need to get an idea of the cabs's tuning frequency, something which will more than likely need to be changed but we may get lucky.........

8. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    They don't look like JBLs and I don't remember Altecs having a vented dust cap. They might be CTS speakers.

Yes, you could do better with new speakers if you can find the right ones for that cabinet. I'd brace it up a bit, at least the back panel while you're at it too. That would help a bit.