Acoustic 126 resurection

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wrnchbndr, Nov 7, 2011.

1. wrnchbndr

wrnchbndr

Mar 19, 2011
    I just acquired an Acoustic Model 126 that is in mint cosmetic condition. I paid nothing for it. Unfortunately, someone has taken a pair of scissors and cut the wires to the power amp CCA and removed the power amp entirely -- it is gone. The preamp and graphic EQ work perfectly if I run the preamp out to the input of another amp.

Back in the day... I know a lot of manufacturers utilized common components to produce a model line of different amplifiers. Since I need an entire power amp section, I want to see if there were higher output models that utilized the same power supply. Looking at the diagrams, it is within my capabilities to fabricate a clone CCA for the original 100 watt 126 power amp as long as the transistors can still be found. But it would be great if a higher output CCA could be employed. Are there any Acoustic enthusiasts who can speak to this issue??

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    AFAIK, a 126 combo and a 220 head share the same preamp. they might share the same power amp too.

[​IMG]

but you might ask that question on the unofficial acoustic amps forum.

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

You could think about dropping a Class D module into the amp. Hypex make a small 180W module that might just fit your bill. It will need some kind of a heat sink.

4. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    I'd be interested in doing something like this as I have a 120 heads with a distorting power section. You need to figure the voltage swing from the preamp to match it to a power module though. I'd go for one of the higher power class D ones for no heat troubles. And also inappropriate unexpected bottom end form what is apparently a vintage head.

5. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    You could Frankenstein it with a Class-d module, but most all modules don't have built in limiters. It's going to be pricey.

It would not be conserving the head if that's important to you.

I'd say it's not worth it.

Get a good power amp. Keep using this as a pre-amp.

Keep an eye out for other 126's that maybe you can part out.

6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

The limitation is going to be the original power supply designed to operate a 100W SS power section. The other option is to redesign the power supply (new bigger transformer etc) to supply the needed power. The 180W module is around $150 plus shipping.

7. wrnchbndr

wrnchbndr

Mar 19, 2011
    Yes, I understand about the PT but on occassion, some manufacturers just employ an overkill powersupply section on their smaller output units for the economy of utilizing common parts and being able to make larger bulk purchases of transformers from their suppliers -- I'm hoping that this might be the case although its unlikely -- just wishing I suppose but you never know and it doesn't hurt to ask. I think I may have a line on a 126 power amp section from a local guy with lots of junk in his basement but he's not yet sure of which acoustic model he's got.

8. wrnchbndr

wrnchbndr

Mar 19, 2011
    I've just ordered the full service manual for the amp ($20). I'll see what is involved in cloning the original CCA. I have CCA etching cabability and few generic heat sinks. Another 100 watt amp is not exactly unwanted and this amp has a pre-out so I can alway plug it into something bigger if I want.

9. wrnchbndr

wrnchbndr

Mar 19, 2011
    Total cost of all parts on the CCA is $42 from Mouser. They are on order.

10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Then , for one, wish you fortune and a successful resolution to the project. :)

11. jwinton

jwinton

Apr 12, 2009
    So what ever happened with this project?

12. Good question.

13. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021