Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic 136 for sale.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I went to a guitar shop today and see an Acoustic 136 head and cab (1 15") for 350 together.. I played with a washburn taurus, and it sounded great. Is 350 a good price? Should I ask them to put it aside?

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Is the amp that you're looking at a combo or a separate head and cabinet?

My June 1973 Acoustic catalog shows a Model 136 as a 1x15 combo (33.5 by 25 by 14 in., 85 lbs). The amp section is basically a Model 140 head (two channels with Volume, Bass, Treble and a bright switch for each).

If this is the amp, it's rated 125 Watts RMS (probably into 2 or 4 ohms at 5% THD).

In '73 they listed for $499 (which is equal to $2100 in 2003 dollars). See how cheap gear has gotten!!!! Can you imagine paying over 2 grand for a 125 watt, 1x15 combo today?

Anyway, if this is the amp (and perhaps someone has cut it in half or something), $350 is way too much IMO. I believe I saw one locally (in one piece) for either $149 or $199 and it's been in the store for over a year and the owner would probably love to get rid of it...

Keep in mind that Acoustic went out of business a long time ago so that amp is from the '70s or '80s.

Good luck!!!

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Well, a couple of thoughts. First is, is 125 watts enough for you? Maybe not, if you're going to play live (clubs), if that's the case then I'd look for something with more power. Second thought is, compared to other similar amps that you can buy today, it might not sound like a bad price, but if something ever goes wrong with it, you're in a no-warranty situation with a manufacturer who's long out of business and spare parts that can't be found "anywhere". I had to fix an Acoustic 370 the other day, and the darn thing has custom wound inductors in the EQ section, that I had to replace with old UTC parts from the surplus store, and the best I could do was to get "approximately" the right part values. Then the third thought is, if you're okay with a low-power combo, check into the Pignose B-100V. It's a tube amp that sounds every bit as good as the Acoustic, and brand new it's about the same price you mentioned (on eBay), except you get a warranty and the manufacturer's still around (in the US no less). And finally, if you dig around on eBay a little, you can find lots of old Acoustic gear for sale. If you search eBay, you can probably get a better deal.

4. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Yep, that's it. It was a combo, but you could disconnect the speaker from the head.

5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I paid $290 (used) for mine back in 1979.