1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acoustic 270 Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by yakmastermax, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Hey TB, I did a search and was unable to find more than a couple of threads and not a whole lot of information. I was at a bar tonight and was watching a college group of stand up comedians. The guy with the PA system was running a little single 12" PA speaker with an Acoustic 270.

The Amp caught my eye immediately. I talked to him, he's not actively trying to sell it but I'm completely gassed on the idea of having this thing. He admitted that it is way too heavy for his uses and I convinced him to give me his number.

So I understand that it is actually a guitar amp though some have used it for bass and say it works?

Does anyone have any specs on these? Does anyone know what kind of tone it will have? Does anyone know their value? One thread on TB mentioned $80, other links on the web went as high as $1000 with several in the $300 range.

Thanks guys!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  2. Hamish MacCleod

Hamish MacCleod Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2014
    South America
    On vintage gear it goes for whatever the buyer is willing to spend. I paid $400 plus shipping for a 370 head and have seen them as low as $100 and as high as $750. If you like it, go for it. If you decide later it isn't for you, flipping it shouldn't be too hard as long as you don't pay top dollar. One more thing, you heard it so you know it functions and how it sounds, that's a plus. I'd offer $200 or so just to see if he bites, assuming you really want it.
    Rondo
    P.S. Google unofficial acoustic controls corporation and check out the forum section lots of good info there.

3. waltdogg

waltdogg

May 24, 2014
    I got the 270 that I traded to my drummer for a steal, less than a couple hundred even after taking it to my tech for basic maintenance. It features the same power section as a 370 which I believe is 300 or so watts @ 2 ohms (KILLER), I think the tone stack and graphic EQ affect the same frequencies on both the 270 and 370 so the only real difference are the fuzz and reverb circuits on the 270 that the 370 doesn't have. I only used the 270 for guitar, he uses it for bass but I've never heard him play it as a bass amp. Not far off from the Sunn Concert Lead and Bass which also shared the same chassis, preamp, tone stack and power sections.

4. Cool thanks for the advice guys. Yeah I'd like to actually run a bass through it because as of right now I only know that it works for his PA. Any 4ohm cab should work fairly well?

5. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    I bought a 370 back in October. $400 and I want to say it was shipped free. Off of eBay, no other 370's or 320's at the time, and I flipped it back in Jan in order to get my SVT. I just picked up a 270 from a TB'er in a moving sale for a sub-$300 price. I am very pleased, in fact I think I might actually like the 270 better. I'd try to get it for $300 or maybe offer him lower.

6. waltdogg

waltdogg

May 24, 2014
    Any properly rated 2x15 or 8x10 would be the proper "vintage" setup for one of those old Acoustics I think.

7. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

A 4 ohm cabinet would work just fine. It is solid state, so it wouldn't push out the same power through a higher resistance, but I never found that to be an issue when I had a 370. I would go with a vintage cabinet if you buy it. Vintage cabinets and drivers tend to be more efficient at turning input into sound pressure, so you don't need 1000 watts to keep up. Acoustic cabinets usually used 15" drivers instead of 10" drivers, but when I had a 370, it sounded very good through an Ampeg stack that included a 410 and a 115. Yeah, I know mixed drivers are the kiss of death and will cause your hair to turn purple, but it still sounded good.

8. Could you elaborate further on the benefits of running a vintage cab? Right now I'm considering taking newer Acoustic 2x10 or 1x15 empty and wiring in new eminences for a 4ohm load.

What was the tone versatility like with your 370?

9. billgoodwin

billgoodwin

Mar 28, 2011
    Roanoke,VA
    pairing a vintage ACC head and cab are crucial to "that" tone. Sure you can run a ACC head with another brand / maker cabinet, but there is a special magic with a full ACC rig. I'll never use anything else if given a choice.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015